PDA

View Full Version : Process/Products

BadboyzTn
03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
I was wondering what are some of the products you guys use in reference to detailing/car care. I have been researching and searching this forum and various other sites and it seems certain sites have their favorites brands. Does anyone have any experience with the Adam's products? I'm looking at the Brilliant Glaze, Super VRT, and Americana. But I like what I'm hearing from PoorBoy's also. I know it's all a matter of preference, but what are some suggestions.

I will also clean my newly purchased 2006 650i and was wondering what all I needed to do, and I know its dependent on the condition of the paint. I was thinking:

1) Wash
2) Clay?
3) Sealant/Glaze
4) Carnuba

Is the claying necessary? BTW the car is Sapphire Black Metallic
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Robse34
03-30-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm a huge fan of Adams products. You need to clay if you feel contaminants on your finish. It just helps to get the surface clean and smooth. Your four step process sounds ok if you do not have any swirl marks. If you do, you'll want to remove them too. Adams glaze followed by carnuba will really stand out on a black car. Be sure to start with a decent shampoo. Adams or Poorboy's will work. Check the Adams web site. There are a series of how to videos and a forum with extensive information.

BadboyzTn
03-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah, thanks.... I have been watching the videos the last couple days. I didn't know how good the products were, but I think I'm going to take your word and get some Poorboys products and some Adams products. Thanks for the advice......

Johnz3mc
03-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Wash - Detailer's Pro Extreme Foam Shampoo or the Griots Shampoo (good reviews)
Clay - won't recommend a brand/grade. Feel the surface of the car. Drag a sheet or cloth like fine silk or a nylon stocking (preferrably without the leg inside), maybe even a thin plastic bag over the car's surface. If you experience any 'snags', you should clay.

Glaze - Autoglym's Super Resin Polish, Danase Wet Glaze, Poorboy's Black Hole, Chemical Guys EZ Creme, Clearkote's Red Moose Glaze
Sealant - Ultima's PGP, Optimum OptiSeal, Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant
Carnauba (beauty waxes) - Pinnacle Souveran, Victoria Concours, Dodo Juice Supernatural, Blackfire Midnight Sun. All of these should look spectacular on black if properly prepped.
Carnauba /sealant hybrid - FK1000p, the Collinites,

With the Sapphire black, you want to keep swirls to a minimum. A good lambswool mitt, a two bucket method for washing, and a sheeting water removal plus pat dry or blow dry will minimize swirls during the wash.
-John C.

BadboyzTn
04-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Got my orders in...

* Optimum Car wash
* Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish Glaze
* Chemical Guys Pete's '53 Wax
* Gilmour Foam Gun
* Adams Super VRT
* PoorBoys World Quick Detailer Plus

I'm thinking about doing the wheels first, then rinse, foam bath, rinse, wash, rinse, quick detail while drying, Glaze, Wax.

If I went this route, should I follow up the wax with another coat of qucik detailer? or let the wax be the final step?

chet31
04-08-2011, 09:59 PM
All good purchases, except for the Wet Mirror Finish Glaze, which is not really a glaze, it's a, well, Chemical Guys never really says what it is. Maybe it will work better for you than it did for me.