PDA

View Full Version : So I decided to take apart my headlights to clean the foggy inside...

blackedout5
04-04-2011, 11:01 AM
So I bought my 745 last month and have been modding it and so far I love the car. When I bought it the headlighs looked horrible so I spent some time wet sanding them and buffing them out. I was dissapointed when I realized that they were still very foggy but it was on the inside of the lens :mad:, it really made the car look like crap so yesterday I took the headlights out and cleaned the insides of the lenses. I was definetly a pain in the a** but I am very happy with the results. I also added some brighter AE bulbs and l.e.d. corner bulbs... what do you guys think ?

***CCCP***
04-04-2011, 11:21 AM
So I bought my 745 last month and have been modding it and so far I love the car. When I bought it the headlighs looked horrible so I spent some time wet sanding them and buffing them out. I was dissapointed when I realized that they were still very foggy but it was on the inside of the lens :mad:, it really made the car look like crap so yesterday I took the headlights out and cleaned the insides of the lenses. I was definetly a pain in the a** but I am very happy with the results. I also added some brighter AE bulbs and l.e.d. corner bulbs... what do you guys think ?

Wow what a good job. A lot of respect. Ppl here are scared to take lights apart and u did it. Great job.
Would u please do a diy for it like what did u do step by step how did u start taking it apart that did u use all the tips and tricks. What to watch for when doing it. What did u use to clean inside and how hard it was. How did u put the light back together? And what did u use to seal them? All this will be very helpful as I know a lot of ppl what to do the same including myself.
U should of taken those yellow side reflectors out unless u like them.
I'm sorry if I'm asking too much but we really need this info. Thank u. Great job respect respect respect.

pass427
04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I concur, excellent work and please post a DIY

pelonx1st
04-04-2011, 11:58 AM
im hoping you sealed them headlights good so condensation dont occur in the lights

Tkrtape12
04-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Nice job I've been itching to do this but I just know it's going to be a real PIA..diy would be great Thanks

1bad540
04-04-2011, 01:04 PM
wow, props bro. How did you do it???

***CCCP***
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
wow, props bro. How did you do it???

Apparently with the screw driver as far as I can tell. Lol. I really want to do the same.

jgriffith007
04-04-2011, 01:26 PM
This is the first time ever someone has done this that I know of on here. My guy used a magnet (one inside wrapped in a soft cloth soaked in windex) and one on the outside wrapped in soft fabric, moved it back and forth, and it was spotless!

blackedout5
04-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Apparently with the screw driver as far as I can tell. Lol. I really want to do the same.

LOL... that pretty much sums it up. Im not the best at explaining things but give me a second to look through my pics and I will try to give you guys a rough idea how I did it.

***CCCP***
04-04-2011, 01:59 PM
LOL... that pretty much sums it up. Im not the best at explaining things but give me a second to look through my pics and I will try to give you guys a rough idea how I did it.

Thank you just do what u can doesn't have to be perfect. Anything will help

blackedout5
04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Ok, here is a basic idea of how to get the headlight apart, I in no way would consider this to be a proper method of repairing the headlight lens, but to my knowledge there is no other way to open the headlights up. I hack up classic cars for a living so I think nothing of doing the same to my BMW's, but I understand a lot of people would cringe at the thought of going at their car with a dremel tool. I had taken apart the headlights on my e60 to remove the reflector ( same design ) and never had any condensation issues so I felt comfortable doing these.
-Once you get the headlights out there are 4 sliver retaining clips you need to pop off. Also there are 2 small torx screws that have to come out (pic1)
-The clear lens fits inside the black housing, the housing covers the part where the lens is sealed on so you are going to need to remove the part covering the seal to get access to it (pic2)
-I used my dremel with a cut off wheel to cut the lip on the plastic housing being carefull not to cut the clear lens under it (pic3)
- Once I cut around the whole headlight I started to dig up the plastic lip to get access to the seal (pic4)
-Now the hard part... with a sharp screwdriver and a box cutter handy I started to pry in between the lens and the housing breaking apart the seal all around the light. This is not easy and very time consuming. It would not take much pressure to crack the lens so you have to be paitent. the seal seems to have the consistancy of tire rubber and heat does not phase it so your pretty much stuck prying at it and cutting it with a razor a half an inch at a time. (pic 5&6)
-Once I went all the way around it I was able to pull it apart with my hands (pic7&8)
-For those of you wondering, I left the amber reflector alone on purpose because my car needs a little color, but the silver bezel on the headlight ring is actually painted on to the reflector so you can't just pop it out, you would have to paint just the orange part black (pic9).
- I washed the clear lens out with dish soap and water which did not get that film off, so I used some 3M liquid rubbing compound and a microfiber cloth to polish it off and it worked great.
-I used a gasket sealer called the right stuff made by permatex, (you can get it at Autozone) to basically glue the lens back on. I put a thick bead all aroung the black housing and pressed the lens back on. I also used blue tape to strap it together tight while it cured. (pic10)
The downside to this is that where the black lip you cut off was, now has beads of black silicone. The only time you can see any of this is if the hood is up and your looking at the backing of the headlight. Everyone can see the foggy headlights so I think it a pretty fair trade off... hope this helps, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

jlr1125
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Man, this is great stuff. Thanks for the info

***CCCP***
04-04-2011, 05:17 PM
^^^^ thx for all the instructions and ur write up. It's pretty straight forward now when I see more pictures now it's a mater of a good day and time. I'll do mine when I get a chance. I did outside with 3 m kit and it's foggy on the inside which drives me crazy everytime I look at it

samadkins29
04-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Damn, this guy just pwned the **** out of his headlights!! Good Job!! Will be doing this soon.

On a side note, does anyone know how the dust gets in? It will be interesting to see how the new sealant holds up.

Quad745
04-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Props + 10000

blackedout5
04-04-2011, 06:13 PM
^^^^ thx for all the instructions and ur write up. It's pretty straight forward now when I see more pictures now it's a mater of a good day and time. I'll do mine when I get a chance. I did outside with 3 m kit and it's foggy on the inside which drives me crazy everytime I look at it
no problem, glad to help out. The outside of mine were pretty trashed too, I had to start with 800 grit and work my way up. Polishing the inside lenses really made the car look newer than it is.
It was defenitly an all day thing, I spent about 9 hours straight on it ( including the bumper and headlight removal and re-assembly )

blackedout5
04-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Damn, this guy just pwned the **** out of his headlights!! Good Job!! Will be doing this soon.

On a side note, does anyone know how the dust gets in? It will be interesting to see how the new sealant holds up.

LOL... actually they kicked my a**. My hands are pretty cut up from the screwdriver slipping.
my buddy said the film is from the xenon bulbs and condensation that finds its way in over time, but I don't know if thats true.

bmw74me
04-04-2011, 07:44 PM
man this is awesome you did the impossible ....
do you have a shop in HB ....

Seven11
04-04-2011, 07:54 PM
you should have put in those crazy angel eyes from umnitza, cuz they also require taking apart the headlight

Wilassasin
04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
You Are The Man, great job!!:guitar:

Keif
04-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Great job on everything, thanks for posting all the pictures and descriptions! I've really been itching to do this, but just been nervous. Good spring/summer project!

Country
04-05-2011, 05:08 AM
Way to take the lead on that project man! It's been an ongoing topic.

TUF-FKR
04-05-2011, 12:35 PM
So. I guess baking isnt going to help? I was so dissapointed when I finally got my headlights out to find they were sealed and I have no idea why they even put the 4 clips on anyways. I will reconsider doing this again, now that I know what im getting in to. I did the outside, but the inside needs to be done. Wonder how much an extra headlight assembly is at the wrecking yard to take my time to do this to another pair.

javier1605
04-06-2011, 04:49 AM
Oh men!!! Long time waiting for someone who has enough courage to do so!!!!!

Still seems too complicate for me, but I'm sure it's worth the try

Congratulations... they look brand new

Expo BMW
04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Nice! :thumbup:

flipstar
04-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Did you get the headlights out without takin goff the bumper? Ihave not figured out how to do this.

Boing745
04-11-2011, 02:01 PM
dude thats awesome, i want to do the same because mine are as foggy as yours were. Great job man! Except if i take mine apart im painting the orange reflectors black.

los2much
04-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the diy I used n minds r getting painted n cleared
right now. N the worst part is prying the lens off

blackedout5
06-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Hey guys, I have got a few pm's from people asking about me doing their lights and what they look like now... and im happy to say they still look like they did when I first did them. My car spends a lot of time outside and I live at the beach and I have not had any issues with condensation getting inside. These pics are crappy but I took them tonight. Has anyone else tried to take their lights apart yet ?

flipstar
06-13-2011, 08:31 PM
i tried to take mine apart and i did not succeed at cleaning them.

So i put them back together but clearly did not fully connect the igniter to the bulb. So the bulb and igniter both melted. Pretty much wasted 200 bucks and didnt get clean lights lol

Ricardo21
06-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Hey guys, I have got a few pm's from people asking about me doing their lights and what they look like now... and im happy to say they still look like they did when I first did them. My car spends a lot of time outside and I live at the beach and I have not had any issues with condensation getting inside. These pics are crappy but I took them tonight. Has anyone else tried to take their lights apart yet ?

wow there still looking good blackedout5 well after talking to u a couple a times i think i am gonna try ur method i just picked a set of used headlights from a 03 745li they r okay condition u guys be the judge but i picked up these really cheap i think this guy stole them :dunno: no offense but i am considering putting these on my car cuz these look way better than the ones that i have now and was thinking of trying blackedout5 method on my old ones maybe i can do it

dirtdad
08-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Fantastic effort! top marks. My headlight reflector mounting has disintergrated with age and gone crumbly (if there is such a word). Xenon light points down and bounces over bumps. Have been refered to a plastic welder who thinks he can manufacter a new mount for me. This is the only way to get the part out is to open the lights and that was tomorrows job, you has just given me some confidence that it can be done. Thanks heaps for sharing and "good on ya" from the aussies

MyBMDub
08-24-2011, 09:04 AM
damn man, i might have to do this, great job and you have some brass balls my friend :beerchug:

quarterto8
08-24-2011, 09:20 AM
wow there still looking good blackedout5 well after talking to u a couple a times i think i am gonna try ur method i just picked a set of used headlights from a 03 745li they r okay condition u guys be the judge but i picked up these really cheap i think this guy stole them :dunno: no offense but i am considering putting these on my car cuz these look way better than the ones that i have now and was thinking of trying blackedout5 method on my old ones maybe i can do it

your car looks pretty sick.

TXSTYLE
08-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Nice work my man.

Something I would not try, but I give props where due! :)

DULLAH
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Great initiative, well done. I will do the same thing inside and out with whatever the best 3m kit is.

Question for everyone who took their headlamps apart ....
is it possible to remove the orange corner lens to make it look like euro spec headlamps ? And also, Blackedout....what seller/nake of cheap eBay angel eyes are those ?? Are you getting error codes ?

I love when someone jumps first and has nothing but success, I think I might have to be the forum guinea pig with tire upsizing. and I will post a DIY of my own on another common mod unrelated to either of these.

Thanks everyone for a great, helpful forum !!

denalixtc
08-28-2011, 11:11 PM
hmm, I want to take the amber out of my headlights now haha. thanks for sharing.

mujjuman
08-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Great work

jordanvn
09-01-2011, 08:42 PM
great right up

cybergrindin
09-17-2011, 11:30 AM
I have been looking for this thread forever! my prayers are answered..

javier1605
09-19-2011, 03:44 AM
Any feedback on someone who tried it by himself

apomerans
05-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Its Friday and start of memorial day weekend. I'm actually going to do this per-this write up. Will try to post pics, before, after and any unique problems.

P.S. I polished lenses (outside) with M3 lens resore kit before - only to finid out that they're also hazed from inside. Ruins the cars look. I don't even care what others think or notice - its an eyesore to me.

Though its not THAT bad, and my MTEC 3.0 make angel eyes look very nice - the motivation was the next level upgrade - is actually replace MTEC 3.0 leds with real 55w 6000k xenon bulbs. And I can already imagine with that much power output the haze on the inside of the headlights will scatter the light from angel eyes, hence this has to be done before xenon angel upgrade.

VAN HELLSING
05-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Great job bro! Lots of people are scared to do that. Cause this headlights are some expensive. But, like rocky would say " no pain, no pain"

southfla305boy
05-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Im bout to do this today!!! Good **** My Man

B7M4W5
05-26-2012, 12:21 PM
im hoping you sealed them headlights good so condensation dont occur in the lights

+ 1

PRBMW7ser05
05-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks for giving me another project! They look great! My mechanic told me that they have a guy at his dealer that does the clean-up polishing of the headlights. I'm going to check with him and find out what the cost is. He's going to have my car for 4-6 days doing repairs.

javier1605
05-28-2012, 05:02 AM
Its Friday and start of memorial day weekend. I'm actually going to do this per-this write up. Will try to post pics, before, after and any unique problems.

P.S. I polished lenses (outside) with M3 lens resore kit before - only to finid out that they're also hazed from inside. Ruins the cars look. I don't even care what others think or notice - its an eyesore to me.

Though its not THAT bad, and my MTEC 3.0 make angel eyes look very nice - the motivation was the next level upgrade - is actually replace MTEC 3.0 leds with real 55w 6000k xenon bulbs. And I can already imagine with that much power output the haze on the inside of the headlights will scatter the light from angel eyes, hence this has to be done before xenon angel upgrade.

Any Feedback Pleeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need to know... This is going to be my huge summer project I just want to make sure I don't f.....ck everything!!!!!!!!!!

silver745li
05-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Did my today so far im very happy..

javier1605
05-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Did my today so far im very happy..

Congrats!!

Any pictures? Common problems? Did you use any specific tool like a bended screwdriver or something like that??

Thanks for your info....

silver745li
05-29-2012, 07:33 PM
No problem at all.used same equipment and small knive to cut black ruber seal betwen lens and housing.

apomerans
05-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Any Feedback Pleeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need to know... This is going to be my huge summer project I just want to make sure I don't f.....ck everything!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!!! Worked out perfectly. Dremil cutter- A must. A small tool set from home depot that looks like dentist pick set ($4) - helped a lot, specially the hook and straight angle pick.
Sealed with clear gasket sealer silicone. When it cures its gummy and flexible, heat and water resistant. $3 - autozone

Polished glass with plasticX compound "cleaner and polish" (Autozone $8) using 1800rpm drill with sponge attachment from 3M Headlight restore kit.

And yea, sorry no detailed pic walk through, I started at 4am and finished at 11am, taking pics was the last thing i wanted to do. So only before and after, not the best iPhone pics i took, but it is what it is.

Just follow the original guys notes and pics, that is what I used, once headlight is in your hands - it'll all make sense.

silver745li
05-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Took couple pic with iPhone.dont know how to upload.

javier1605
05-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Yes!!! Worked out perfectly. Dremil cutter- A must. A small tool set from home depot that looks like dentist pick set ($4) - helped a lot, specially the hook and straight angle pick.
Sealed with clear gasket sealer silicone. When it cures its gummy and flexible, heat and water resistant. $3 - autozone

Polished glass with plasticX compound "cleaner and polish" (Autozone $8) using 1800rpm drill with sponge attachment from 3M Headlight restore kit.

And yea, sorry no detailed pic walk through, I started at 4am and finished at 11am, taking pics was the last thing i wanted to do. So only before and after, not the best iPhone pics i took, but it is what it is.

Just follow the original guys notes and pics, that is what I used, once headlight is in your hands - it'll all make sense.

Thanks a lot for your answers...The result was awesome. I think it`s worth every single minute of your sleepless night!!! Congrats. I understand you followed all the steps from the first post. Was it very difficult? Did you cut the plastic around the glass with the dremmel? Again thanks for posting...:p

javier1605
05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Took couple pic with iPhone.dont know how to upload.

1. Sign up on 'photobucket'
2. upload your pics
3. copy the 'IMG' on photobucket and paste it in the reply block

This is one of the possibilities but I know there are more... Waiting to se your pictures....

mod_junkie
05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
You know if you guys put em in the oven for about 10 mins at 350 they pull apart with ease ;)

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Bimmer App

javier1605
05-30-2012, 12:35 AM
You know if you guys put em in the oven for about 10 mins at 350 they pull apart with ease ;)

Are you sure? I'm asking that because I remember someone who tried this before without result and posted here that this sealing wouldn't come off so easily... Have you tried by yourself in this precise headlight model? Thanks....

mod_junkie
05-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Are you sure? I'm asking that because I remember someone who tried this before without result and posted here that this sealing wouldn't come off so easily... Have you tried by yourself in this precise headlight model? Thanks....

Yea I used to do custom work paint matching headlight bezzles removing orange reflectors etc. It cuts the time in half. I haven't done any BMW's but I've done a whole bunch of cars and it is the best method for pulling them apart you just need to be careful and not over cook them because you'll ruin the headlight

mod_junkie
05-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Here's a write up on how to do it
http://www.celicahobby.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/18514/Lights-Headlights-How-To-Paint-the-Inside.html

javier1605
05-30-2012, 01:31 AM
Yea I used to do custom work paint matching headlight bezzles removing orange reflectors etc. It cuts the time in half. I haven't done any BMW's but I've done a whole bunch of cars and it is the best method for pulling them apart you just need to be careful and not over cook them because you'll ruin the headlight

Thanks for your answers... I've been searching and finally I found the post from someone who tried to bake them without result in his e65 headlight...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349588

sarhane46
Mein auto: 2001 BMW 330ci
View My Garage

e65 headlight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i tried baking mine yesterday for my e65 and no luck. i went from 175 degrees for 15 mins, to 250 degrees for 15-20 mins to 350 degrees for 10 mins and the glue doesnt melt at ALL!!!!!!! i already bought a pair of new ones so i didnt really care for the old ones. i also tried it with a heat gun, but that gets too hot and start melting the lens, the glue still doesnt melt thou.
i believe those people who do it, but i dont know if it actually works on the e65.

does anyone have any ideas on this?????

apomerans
05-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks a lot for your answers...The result was awesome. I think it`s worth every single minute of your sleepless night!!! Congrats. I understand you followed all the steps from the first post. Was it very difficult? Did you cut the plastic around the glass with the dremmel? Again thanks for posting...:p

Difficult - not very. Once you start cutting and then breaking off pieces - yea, there was a thought "Oh $#!%, there is no way back", but keep on, it'll work. Yes, I cut the edge around the glass and stripped top piece with screwdriver, and separated the bottom edge with box cutter and angle picks.

Here is another tip if you go the "cutting way" - see pic: View of glass edge inside housing - side view

Housing= blue
Glass edge = green

Whenever possible, i tried to cut with dremel (see 1) there. That way I did not even need to use the angle tool afterwards to separate rubber from glass. Box cutter blade went stright in and cut was nice and fast.
Try to leave about a 1mm of that verticle edge, this way it'll stop/position the glass evenly when you put it back on.

There will be places where you might not be able to cut at (#1), so cut at #2 angle, and you see that thats where you'll need an angle cutting contraption to get between housing and glass.

Also, at some places there will be either a bolt housing piece, or some other non regular shape - so I cut through those too.

There will be 1 place, I think at the bottom/middle of the housing strip, where an irregular line goes across the housing strip. There is metal inside, going from the aluminum square. Dont cut that.

apomerans
05-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Thanks for your answers... I've been searching and finally I found the post from someone who tried to bake them without result in his e65 headlight...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349588

sarhane46
Mein auto: 2001 BMW 330ci
View My Garage

e65 headlight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i tried baking mine yesterday for my e65 and no luck. i went from 175 degrees for 15 mins, to 250 degrees for 15-20 mins to 350 degrees for 10 mins and the glue doesnt melt at ALL!!!!!!! i already bought a pair of new ones so i didnt really care for the old ones. i also tried it with a heat gun, but that gets too hot and start melting the lens, the glue still doesnt melt thou.
i believe those people who do it, but i dont know if it actually works on the e65.

does anyone have any ideas on this?????

Yea, if you actually cut the headlight open and cut off a piece of that sealing that glues the glass to housing you will quickly realize that its not glue :eek: - its rubber, yea, like tire rubber. No way that will ever melt before your headlight does.

jdotpeezy
05-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Not sure if this was answered or not, but is taking off the bumper absolutely necessary? I love DIYs when the part isnt friggin $800 to replace. Major props at the courage to take on the task. This would be a great money making service! Im willing to pay... Time and Money are the same, i have more of the latter!

apomerans
05-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Not sure if this was answered or not, but is taking off the bumper absolutely necessary? I love DIYs when the part isnt friggin $800 to replace. Major props at the courage to take on the task. This would be a great money making service! Im willing to pay... Time and Money are the same, i have more of the latter!

Yes.

BMW fanatico
05-30-2012, 09:24 AM
looks great,

I would have painted the corners black while I was in there for that Euro look but I see your point about having a little color since your car is black already. Black corners would look better on a silver car or white.

javier1605
05-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Difficult - not very. Once you start cutting and then breaking off pieces - yea, there was a thought "Oh $#!%, there is no way back", but keep on, it'll work. Yes, I cut the edge around the glass and stripped top piece with screwdriver, and separated the bottom edge with box cutter and angle picks.

Here is another tip if you go the "cutting way" - see pic: View of glass edge inside housing - side view

Housing= blue
Glass edge = green

Whenever possible, i tried to cut with dremel (see 1) there. That way I did not even need to use the angle tool afterwards to separate rubber from glass. Box cutter blade went stright in and cut was nice and fast.
Try to leave about a 1mm of that verticle edge, this way it'll stop/position the glass evenly when you put it back on.

There will be places where you might not be able to cut at (#1), so cut at #2 angle, and you see that thats where you'll need an angle cutting contraption to get between housing and glass.

Also, at some places there will be either a bolt housing piece, or some other non regular shape - so I cut through those too.

There will be 1 place, I think at the bottom/middle of the housing strip, where an irregular line goes across the housing strip. There is metal inside, going from the aluminum square. Dont cut that.

:):):) Nothing else to say... Very well explained! Now I'm sure this is going to be my next summer project. I think is worth the risk. On my last e38 750i it made a huge difference, so I guess in this car will be awesome.

I'm thinking about painting the black plastic interior in grey to match the colour of my car, but it's just an idea...

Again thanks a lot for your detailed answer!!!:thumbup:

II Kings 9:20
05-31-2012, 06:52 AM
Thankfully I don't have this problem but that was a great write up, always looking to learn. Excellent

jdotpeezy
05-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Can somebody make this a sticky, so its a readily available reference, kinda like the angel eye sticky.

Check out this Euro Headlight, im in process of having my housing cleaned, but while i have it off, im thinking of changing out the amber part. what would be best route to go? just paint this part metallic silver or what. i havent seen a EU headlight up close. any suggestions?

BMW fanatico
06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I retract my statement about black corners looking to black on a black car, look at this B7 pre-facelift with the Euro corners in black. I think it looks great

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z428/CLKFAN/alpina_b7-14.jpg

javier1605
06-06-2012, 12:20 AM
I retract my statement about black corners looking to black on a black car, look at this B7 pre-facelift with the Euro corners in black. I think it looks great

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z428/CLKFAN/alpina_b7-14.jpg

:thumbup:

Choppers
08-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Hey guys. New here and glad I found this forum. Just bought a 745li and the dirty, foggy inside of the headlights are driving me crazy. Thanks for the DIY tutorial, I think it is above my pay grade. Anyone interested in performing this service? For money of course. Thanks again all and glad to be a part of he forum!!:thumbup:

7ELEVEN
08-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Nice DIY! Love the Black corners too!

mustoboy
08-02-2012, 05:00 PM
You gave up hours of your time to help people as may others offen do at bimmerfest ,An Excellent website run by great people . super members,always looking to help , great job too all P.S.GREAT TATOOS

DULLAH
08-05-2012, 11:40 AM

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z428/CLKFAN/alpina_b7-14.jpgGorgeous. Might want to take apart the lenses on mine. Will it work the same for 2006's ?

TUF-FKR
11-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Tackling this mod today. Headlights out, dremel ready, looking at his pics a few more times before I start to cut....

TUF-FKR
11-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Holy $hit that was a PIA! On a scale of 1-10, that is a 7. They are back together and the adhesive is drying. They will be re-installed in the morning. I have about 6 hours into the whole project. You really hack up your lights, but its in areas that are not going to be seen. I also found Black adhesive RTV at Autozone for $10. I took a couple of pictures that I think will help explain a little more. I blew out my dremel and it took about 4 cutting blades to get through both lights.

Soapy water doesnt get rid of the haze on the inside. I tried clay bar with spray polish, everything I had in my arsenal. What ended up working the easiest and best was an "all purpose adhesive remover". This applies easily and wipes clean. I took a high speed buffer and polished the outside of the lenses too while they were off. I painted the corner lense (was yellow) black and I removed the tint over the outside of the lenses. I will post finished pics later this week. START THIS PROJECT FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! Buy everything first..

First_745Li
11-20-2012, 05:57 AM
Holy $hit that was a PIA! On a scale of 1-10, that is a 7. They are back together and the adhesive is drying. They will be re-installed in the morning. I have about 6 hours into the whole project. You really hack up your lights, but its in areas that are not going to be seen. I also found Black adhesive RTV at Autozone for $10. I took a couple of pictures that I think will help explain a little more. I blew out my dremel and it took about 4 cutting blades to get through both lights.

Soapy water doesnt get rid of the haze on the inside. I tried clay bar with spray polish, everything I had in my arsenal. What ended up working the easiest and best was an "all purpose adhesive remover". This applies easily and wipes clean. I took a high speed buffer and polished the outside of the lenses too while they were off. I painted the corner lense (was yellow) black and I removed the tint over the outside of the lenses. I will post finished pics later this week. START THIS PROJECT FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! Buy everything first..

Damn bro congrats on tackling that task.. Can't wait to see how they came out.

TUF-FKR
11-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Here are a couple of pics. The first one is the headlight with the flange removed with the dremel and now I am cutting the rubber to remove the lens. "Apomerans" drew a good diagram of what it is like and he labels them Cut #1, Cut #2. You cannot complete this task with cutting #2 only. I did not realize this with the first headlight I did and I had to then go back and cut all the way around again with his Cut #1. The second headlight I skipped cut #2, and went right to his cut #1 angle (still follow me?). I had better results cutting #2 first, then going back and cutting #1 (all still referencing Apomerans diagram drawing).

The problem with going right to cut #1 is you are cutting blind and can go too deep into the inner housing (making a hole into the headlight). I made a small error, this but was able to re-seal when I RTVed the lights back together.

The first pic shows the rubber is UNDER the lens that has to be cut out. All in All, it was SO worth it to me. The front end of the car looks so much cleaner and new. If you have angle eyes it makes them ALOT brighter!!! I do NOT regret this mod at all. The good news is, if you have to re-do it again, you only have to cut the RTV, no more dremeling next time...

TUF-FKR
11-20-2012, 11:46 PM
(I made a couple of edits after I re-read my post).

Oyeah, whoever said you could get this apart by "baking" them?? I want what your smoking... This $**** is like tire rubber. An angled blade would have helped me, less stuff to dremel around to get my box knife into. Someone mentioned a dentist tool kit, that probably would have been better.

First_745Li
11-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Here are a couple of pics. The first one is the headlight with the flange removed with the dremel and now I am cutting the rubber to remove the lens. "Apomerans" drew a good diagram of what it is like and he labels them Cut #1, Cut #2. You cannot complete this task with cutting #2 only. I did not realize this with the first headlight I did and I had to then go back and cut all the way around again with his Cut #1. The second headlight I skipped cut #2, and went right to his cut #1 angle (still follow me?). I had better results cutting #2 first, then going back and cutting #1 (all still referencing Apomerans diagram drawing).

The problem with going right to cut #1 is you are cutting blind and can go too deep into the inner housing (making a hole into the headlight). I made a small error, this but was able to re-seal when I RTVed the lights back together.

The first pic shows the rubber is UNDER the lens that has to be cut out. All in All, it was SO worth it to me. The front end of the car looks so much cleaner and new. If you have angle eyes it makes them ALOT brighter!!! I do NOT regret this mod at all. The good news is, if you have to re-do it again, you only have to cut the RTV, no more dremeling next time...

Nice!how long did it take to make the actual cuts? I would think that's the part one would have to pay close attention to and be patient with.

TUF-FKR
11-21-2012, 10:23 AM
The dremel work took about 20 minutes per headlight. The cutting of the rubber under the lens takes about 1 hour each.

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** Your side markers are snapped in, if you remove them to paint them, glue them in place. I have one side marker that is moving around a bit.

blackedout5
11-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Good job :thumbup: Glad to see other people successfully doing this to their cars. Hope my pics and description helped out.

Joe Tamez
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM
There hasnt been much discussion on it, and Im still very intersted in where (if possible) I can order just the headlight lenses for this car. Headlights themselves work fine, and since its a unit that was assembled in pieces Id assume (somewhere, some how) I would be able to purchase the lenses only. Please advise guys

verbals
01-07-2013, 07:35 PM
I plan to take on this project on Wednesday or Thursday. Couple quick questions/concerns before I pull the trigger. #1. Do I Dremel around the entire headlamp assembly or just the top lip that covers the lens seal? #2. If I want to paint the orange side marker black (or Anthracite Grey), which kind of paint do I use? #3. How long do I let the sealer bond/cure before putting the headlamps back in? Sorry for the rookie questions but I'm still a little hesitant due to the fact that our headlamps are a couple months rent. I have to do it tho because I hate the inside haze more than I fear f*<%ing up. Thanx, 'Fest!

verbals
01-07-2013, 07:36 PM
... more than I fear fouling up ...

745iguy
01-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Did this today took me all day practically nice sunday project. Drivers side was HORRID. 100x better. Light cutoffs look perfect now. Thanks for the writeup and giving me the courage to dremel my headlamps open :thumbup:

Rookie2008
01-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Did this today took me all day practically nice sunday project. Drivers side was HORRID. 100x better. Light cutoffs look perfect now. Thanks for the writeup and giving me the courage to dremel my headlamps open :thumbup:

Glad to see it worked for you bro. How about some pic so we can see how well you did.

745iguy
01-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Ill post some up tomorrow of it on the car. Heres a pic of the lens and the housing without it. Didn't take many pics but being an 02 you can imagine how they looked before. Dremel i bought from home depot for 50$ and came with attachments. The light output was well worth the cash and the time
Also would like to add the lens pic was taken after i used some goo gone spray on the inside. It took most of the grime off before more thoroughly cleaning and polishing. Used 3m, and meguiars. Buffed and polished. Didnt sand it as i did not have much but crud on the inside and out.

javier1605
01-14-2013, 12:41 AM
I think this is generating a new generation of seven's owners.... the one's that have cleaned the interior of their headlights and the one's that are supossed to do so in a short time!!!

Well done!!!!

745iguy
01-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Daytime

flash_n
01-27-2013, 05:36 PM
First I was afraid, then scared s#%less. Once you dremel that case YOU ARE commited.
And no joking, cutting the seal all around is multi-hour PITA.

Just put the glass back in with the 3M window weld urethane. Can't wait to see it back on the car.

Thanks for all the good advice in this thread. :thumbup:

blackbeast
01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Nice! Thank you for blueprint man.

BMW745ISliver
06-29-2013, 11:10 AM
So wait,
All you did was take off the headlights..tear off the glue or sealent cleaned the inside with some cloth and then glued it back on???

TUF-FKR
06-29-2013, 12:53 PM
So wait,
All you did was take off the headlights..tear off the glue or sealent cleaned the inside with some cloth and then glued it back on???

Sure, that's all we did. "Slam dunk" as they say... LOL. On a technical task rating of 1-10 this is an 8. How about this. Replacing an O2 sensor an my 7 ranked about a 5. Be prepared to go through one dremel and many cutting bits. Some black sealant and about 12-16 hours worth of work. Includes install and de-install time. I have the bumper removal down to a science. However, my 7 is long gone (happy/sad day). I don't miss spending hours tinkering with my car. GLWM! Tell us about your experience when your done. Let us know how "easy" it was.

nr123
06-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Looks great - I wish I could do this with my car.

karmaxul
11-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks, it took a while to find this information. I learned of permaseal after I spend an hour with the oven at different temps and damn near gave myself a hernia. I had wire around the lens edge connected to my foot and applied a good amount of force on a hot light. If I did not know better I think I heard my head light laughing at me. In any case thanks for the information.

karmaxul
11-15-2013, 05:04 PM
A couple things I would add.

First is dont force the lens or try to pry up from one side. There is a black piece of plastic connected to the lens by the orange reflector that can break if twisted. The lens should come off easy.

I cut the black plastic the entire way around except two spots on the bottom where the head lights sit on the base. I could not get anything to cut the glue so I cut into the clear plastic on these two spots and will be sure to give them some extra water proofing after.

The cutting discs I had for a dremel are thin and covered in grit. They will break if you are in a rush. I broke the first one in a couple minutes. The second lasted through this lamp. I would recommend safty goggles with sides. My sun glasses were letting in some plastic chips from time to time.

745iguy
11-15-2013, 06:07 PM
A couple things I would add.

First is dont force the lens or try to pry up from one side. There is a black piece of plastic connected to the lens by the orange reflector that can break if twisted. The lens should come off easy.

I cut the black plastic the entire way around except two spots on the bottom where the head lights sit on the base. I could not get anything to cut the glue so I cut into the clear plastic on these two spots and will be sure to give them some extra water proofing after.

The cutting discs I had for a dremel are thin and covered in grit. They will break if you are in a rush. I broke the first one in a couple minutes. The second lasted through this lamp. I would recommend safty goggles with sides. My sun glasses were letting in some plastic chips from time to time.

Haha i remember doing this. Fun stuff. Fortunately for me i had an all metal Bit that worked fine for me and never had it break but you're not joking about the glasses. I did it with none and had to be extremely cautious. What a mess it made.. And the time to let it dry to seal and reassemble... Ahh I definitely dont miss that thing :eeps:

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

karmaxul
11-15-2013, 06:18 PM
I found with the dremel on low speed there was less melting and more cutting. I think I will go get a metal bit for the other one. I was to motivated so decided to go with what I had in the case.

blackjesus
11-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Got the same wheels blackedout5! Mine have the polished aluminum lip.

Sent from my LG-C800 using BimmerApp mobile app