PDA

View Full Version : X3 2.5 enough power?

USER NAME
02-21-2004, 11:11 PM
I was wodnering now that the x3 is released if anyone could comment on the acceleration of the X3 2.5. People remarked before that it would be "sluggish" going up hills etc...Is this what to expect?

Patrick330i
02-21-2004, 11:27 PM
I was wodnering now that the x3 is released if anyone could comment on the acceleration of the X3 2.5. People remarked before that it would be "sluggish" going up hills etc...Is this what to expect?

Ok, I am not talking from direct experience. Think of the 325i with slushy, add some significant weight, and then you'll get the picture. I think it'll be enough power to get around town, but will that be enough for you? There will be a lot of X3 2.5 slushies out there, I think. For me, I'd have to go with the 3.0 if I had the X3 with a slushie. But I like power!

chattguy
02-22-2004, 12:12 PM
I purchase a loaded 2.5l with sport pkg, xe, winter, premium,and auto. the car is great. the suspension is only a little rough on roads with lots of expansion joints. I like the ride of a sports car and the panoramic sunroof was as close as I can get to my 2002 325 CIC convertable. The car has sufficient power for average driving. the sport pakg really makes the vehicle look agressive. I have to go get the trailer hitch on monday will post how it goes.

harplayr
02-24-2004, 05:48 AM
I just took delivery of my X3 2.5 Saturday. I really don't see a big difference between the 2.5 and 3.0 in this car. It's still in the break in period, so I havn't really pushed it yet, and here in Chicago there aren't any mountains so I can't attest to how it is on really big or steep hills, but I find that it feels at least as quick if not quicker than the E36 325I that I traded in. It's no pocket rocket, but accelerating onto the highway or passing is no problem. The handling of this SAV is exceptional! :thumbup:

X3 2.5 Automatic, PP, Nav, without sports package.

andy_thomas
02-24-2004, 06:18 AM

Oh good lord. Are you racing a Vette up hills or something? :dunno:

I imagine it probably has reasonable pull from 90-110 mph up a mild incline such as you'd find on a major highway somewhere, yes. Or put it this way, it would out-accelerate 85% of the cars in its homeland, even considering its hefty kerb weight.

Naturally performance like this would involve sending the rev counter needle higher. But we like doing that, and we understand that BMW (as with some others) understands that high-rev operation in order to produce sufficient power is absolutely normal. that's why we buy these cars!

FireFly
02-24-2004, 06:59 AM
I purchase a loaded 2.5l with sport pkg, xe, winter, premium,and auto. the car is great. the suspension is only a little rough on roads with lots of expansion joints. I like the ride of a sports car and the panoramic sunroof was as close as I can get to my 2002 325 CIC convertable. The car has sufficient power for average driving. the sport pakg really makes the vehicle look agressive. I have to go get the trailer hitch on monday will post how it goes.

Chattguy- what are you planning on towing with your X3? How much weight will you be pulling? Is the dealer doing the hitch? How much?

I was going to get an X3 but the tow capacity is 3500 pounds, which is on the hairy edge for what I need.

USER NAME
03-06-2004, 01:47 PM
:)

tgravo2
03-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Does it feel a lot less powerful than your 325cic?

USER NAME
06-13-2004, 09:35 PM
I have been driving my new x3 2.5 automatic for about a month and here is my opinion on the power. I would give it a B because it is not terribly zippy but not slow either. I think that I would choose the 3.0 if I was to do it over again, but am happy with the 2.5. Also go for the leather.