PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia free windex

rockr777
04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
I've read several posts about not using windex on rims due to ammonia breaking down the finish. Years ago I used windex to polish up my vehicle after a nice wash (and if it needed a slight detailing in between washes). I have the non-ammonia windex and wanted thoughts on using it for detailing everything on my bimmer. Thanks!

Bill-SD
04-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Don't do it. There are tons of good products to make your car shine, and Windex is not one of them.

zkeeper
04-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Agreed...Windex is lightly diluted surfactant...or cleaner, and its simply not the best out there. It IS however the best known and used since the earth's crust cooled. There are some fine auto cleaners for interiors...and besides Windex will really not protect...it merely cleans at best. Megs has some interior low shine detailer...and Griots Garage, [Autogeek.com] has a great Interior cleaner and used with Megs Interior Shine or Griots speed shine, you are set. Save the Windex, IMO, for use on outside windows at best.

CGdetailing
04-15-2011, 07:56 PM
^^ Both good suggestions. Use a Instant Detailer or something. For example, Meg's showtime, or Menzerna Final Inspection.

Todd@properautocare.com
04-17-2011, 05:16 AM
I've read several posts about not using windex on rims due to ammonia breaking down the finish. Years ago I used windex to polish up my vehicle after a nice wash (and if it needed a slight detailing in between washes). I have the non-ammonia windex and wanted thoughts on using it for detailing everything on my bimmer. Thanks!

Non-amonia based window cleaners use alcohol as a cleaning agent. The alcohol will strip any wax on the finish. Use a dedicated quick detailer such as Optimum Gloss Enhancing Quick Detailer.

James @ Eco Touch
04-17-2011, 05:58 AM
I think the Windex you are referring to uses isopropyl and vinegar as cleaning agents. Both are great for windows...not so much for paint.

Outside of the suggestions offered you may also want to consider a Waterless Car Wash product as they typically offer more cleaning properties than a typical quick detailer.

TJPark01
04-18-2011, 02:08 PM

:wow: