PDA

View Full Version : Will US market see...

h0mersimps0n
04-16-2011, 12:19 PM
X1 AWD diesel? I think that'd be a no-brainer for me.

Looking at an 80 mile one-way 3-4x/week commute through next winter in mid-atlantic (ice + inability to plow roads).

My wife's former Lexus Rx300 and current 2011 Kia Sorento FWD with snow tires crushed all storms/conditions in our area.

She doesn't care what she drives, I'm BMW or bust and don't want to drive my BMW summer car (undecided/TBD 135 v M1).

Think I'm probably going to end up with a CPO X3 which saddens me a bit cause I'd love the new X3 but can't swallow the summer car and winter car pill in one year.

I've been patient through 12 years of school and residency so with 2 months to go you bet I'm planning my BMW comeback strategy (probably posting this elsewhere too).

jacksonchelsey
04-18-2011, 04:29 AM
its looks cool though :)

David1
04-18-2011, 06:40 AM
No

AzNMpower32
04-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Diesel X1? Dream on.

X3 Skier
04-19-2011, 08:43 AM
When I was in the dealer yesterday for some maintenance on my X3, I asked a salesman, sorry Client Advisor, if he knew when I could get an X1. He said that BMW NA is evaluating if they want to bring the Diesel version to the States.

Of course then I asked about Euro Delivery and he allowed it will be built in SC and I could do a Performance Center Delivery but no ED so I immediately ignored all of his previous comments even though he had a pretty good middle European accent.:rofl:

Cheers

h0mersimps0n
04-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Diesel X1? Dream on.

I don't understand why this is so far fetched - first of all they exist, just build one on the uk bmw website.

specs: http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspecifications/0,,1156___bs-WDE%3D%40bb-WDE%3D%40sit-bmwuk,00.html

I guess you're only argument would be that there's no niche market for that size crossover.

By my calculations the 20d gets 40mpg (US) (=48mpg UK). That's 12 more mpg than the best 35i motor puts out in any model bmw has right now. Now sure how that's not pertinent with premium gas approaching $4.50/gal.

David1
04-20-2011, 07:18 AM
They may exist, but that is not the issue. The vehical needs to be federalized with a different emission system and crash tested and this costs millions to do. If BMW can't get an ROI on it, we won't see it. Also, they are at max capicity for production so even if they wanted to sell more variations they can't build enough. There is still the chance that the X1 may not even come since it keeps getting delayed for us.

Reedo302
06-06-2011, 11:08 PM
BMW stated a while ago that they wanted to bring in the turbo 4-bangers with the X1, so I think there's hope that they will bring in the "d" models. Frankly, I think they would be stupid not to, since VW is basically running free with TDI and making a killing.
Of course, BMW engineers and designers have miscalculated the American market several times in the past, so I suspect that they could screw this up royally and say NO to diesel.

Personally, I am going to wait for the X1. I have my Mazda right now, and it's fine, but I want that X1 turbo diesel. I also commute (only 50 miles per day, but sometimes for upwards of 10+ days in a row), so I want fuel economy. All other SUVs on the market suck for fuel economy. The best I can find for an AWD SUV is 29MPG with the GMC Terrain. Frankly, that's not good enough with today's gas prices. I have FWD with the Mazda, but we've had some wicked storms these past couple years here in Minnesota, and even FWD with snow tires barely cut the mustard. I got stuck in traffic in a total white-out Blizzard on the interstate for 4 hours back in December. I need AWD.
Audi let me down with the A3. I was hoping for a TDI with Quattro, but they're FronTrac only. Now my only hope is BMW.
Hybrid technology is problematic and frankly, a waste. Diesel is where it's at.

My wife said "NO MORE BMWs!" after my debacle with my 99 clownshoe. Ironically, she's okay with me getting the X1. It's my only hope of getting into another bimmer in my lifetime.

e46_platform
06-16-2011, 11:39 AM
They may exist, but that is not the issue. The vehical needs to be federalized with a different emission system and crash tested and this costs millions to do. If BMW can't get an ROI on it, we won't see it. Also, they are at max capicity for production so even if they wanted to sell more variations they can't build enough. There is still the chance that the X1 may not even come since it keeps getting delayed for us.
Well... a separate emission test is understandable, but an extra set of crash tests doesn't quite make sense for a vehicle with the same chasis but just a diesel engine instead.

David1
06-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Well... a separate emission test is understandable, but an extra set of crash tests doesn't quite make sense for a vehicle with the same chasis but just a diesel engine instead.

Because that diesel motor will react differently in a frontal collision based on accessory/hardware set up etc.

e46_platform
06-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Because that diesel motor will react differently in a frontal collision based on accessory/hardware set up etc.

if that's the case, is it required to have separate crash tests for car models like honda accord w/ V6 and I4 variations?

AzNMpower32
06-17-2011, 02:39 PM
if that's the case, is it required to have separate crash tests for car models like honda accord w/ V6 and I4 variations?
Yes.

Reedo302
07-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Regardless, BMW has continuously proven that they can very expertly misread and underestimate the US market. They acknowledged this a while back while they were building the E90 M3. Only problem is that they've continued to demonstrate that they still don't get it.
Evidenced by:
Lack of turbo-4cyl
Lack of turbo diesels until 2009
Lack of 4cyl turbo diesels
Lack of 4dr hatch 1er
Lack of anything other than the X1 xDrive28i for sale in Canada right now

Point is, I think BMW could easily fvck this thing up and not do it. In Roundel last year, they said they would bring the 4cyl and diesel with the X1. I would not be surprised if they went back on that, claiming that their "research" did not "support" that decision. The question is whether they're going to realize that fuel is getting more and more expensive and we need to start considering going to a more "European" mindset with vehicle engines.

AzNMpower32
07-02-2011, 08:03 AM
TThe question is whether the general American buying public is going to realize that fuel is getting more and more expensive and we need to start considering going to a more "European" mindset with vehicle engines.
Fixed. There needs to be a sizable market for it to be worth the investment cost for BMW.

Reedo302
07-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Fixed. There needs to be a sizable market for it to be worth the investment cost for BMW.

There is. All of the really efficient cars are flying off the shelves. The Lexus CT200h is big hit, the compact hatches are doing well, the Ford Focus has always been a solid performer, Hondas are big, and Mazda has a new high-compression technology coming out that will boost their 2.3L engine to over 40mpg by the end of the year. The American market will always love trucks and SUVs, but that doesn't meant that they also don't want high efficiency. There are a lot of people going to other companies because they can't afford the fuel and expenses. This is why the GMC Terrain, Chevy Equinox, Honda CRV, Kia Sportage and Toyota RAV4 are among the top-selling SUVs- they're the most efficient.

We won't see hordes of people flocking to the X1, but there will be a lot more if they provide a good engine selection that will allow fuel economy.

AzNMpower32
07-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Is the Lexus a hit? I've seen one on the roads since its introduction. They sold all of 240 units in June, but then again the whole Japan earthquake thing might be disrupting supply so that's harder to measure.

From what I've seen in NC, folks still like powerful cars, or at least ones that work on the highway.

Reedo302
07-04-2011, 09:04 AM
The CT200h has a 6month backlog for orders, but that is affected by the 'quake. However, a buddy of mine is a salesman for Lexus, and he said that on Fridays and Saturdays, people are waiting 2-3hrs to test drive the CT200h because of the sheer numbers of people that are interested in the car. The only thing holding up sales is that nobody wants to wait for the 6mo for the car.

David1
07-05-2011, 06:40 AM
There is. All of the really efficient cars are flying off the shelves. The Lexus CT200h is big hit, the compact hatches are doing well, the Ford Focus has always been a solid performer, Hondas are big, and Mazda has a new high-compression technology coming out that will boost their 2.3L engine to over 40mpg by the end of the year. The American market will always love trucks and SUVs, but that doesn't meant that they also don't want high efficiency. There are a lot of people going to other companies because they can't afford the fuel and expenses. This is why the GMC Terrain, Chevy Equinox, Honda CRV, Kia Sportage and Toyota RAV4 are among the top-selling SUVs- they're the most efficient.

We won't see hordes of people flocking to the X1, but there will be a lot more if they provide a good engine selection that will allow fuel economy.

Not just fuel efficiency, they are inexpensive and and use the cheap gas.

David1
07-05-2011, 06:42 AM
The CT200h has a 6month backlog for orders, but that is affected by the 'quake. However, a buddy of mine is a salesman for Lexus, and he said that on Fridays and Saturdays, people are waiting 2-3hrs to test drive the CT200h because of the sheer numbers of people that are interested in the car. The only thing holding up sales is that nobody wants to wait for the 6mo for the car.

What is he smoking? It's a sales flop. I can test drive one anytime by me.

AzNMpower32
07-05-2011, 08:53 AM
What is he smoking? It's a sales flop. I can test drive one anytime by me.
Seriously. The dealers here might be happy to sell one to Reedo302 then because I see them on dealer lots.

Reedo302
07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I trusted hybrid technology. But I don't. Such is why I want diesel.

georgek
07-11-2011, 01:17 PM
get with it BMW and bring the X1 diesel here already.

From AP

GM to sell Diesel Cruze in U.S.
GM and other U.S.-based automakers have been reluctant to bring diesel engines to the U.S. for fear that people wouldn't pay extra for them.

But Volkswagen, which offers diesels in several models including the Golf and Jetta compacts, can't produce enough diesel engines to meet demand in the U.S., spokesman Scott Vazin said. About 22 percent of the automaker's U.S. sales came from diesel vehicles in the first half of the year.

The Jetta diesel gets an estimated 42 miles per gallon on the highway and 30 in the city.

Reedo302
07-14-2011, 10:58 AM
get with it BMW and bring the X1 diesel here already.

From AP

That's why I'm likely to buy a VW if the X1 doesn't show up in a diesel or a 4cyl.