PDA

View Full Version : Bird Droppings - New Car

nortynorty
04-18-2011, 09:48 AM
My car is Deep Sea Blue with a manufacture date of 02/11. This morning after pulling into a space in the garage at work I noticed some bird droppings on my tail light and rear bumper. I carry a small bottle of Griot's Garage Speed Shine with a microfiber cloth in the trunk and cleaned the droppings up. However, I noticed a spot which remained where one of the droppings was. The spot is appears to be a discoloration from the surrounding area. I don't know if the dropping etched the clear coat or what. I sprayed again, but no difference. Given that the paint is only two months old on the car, I didn't know if i could/should use paint cleaning clay to see if that makes any difference. I am looking for advice. Thank you.

djfitter
04-18-2011, 10:26 AM
My car is Deep Sea Blue with a manufacture date of 02/11. This morning after pulling into a space in the garage at work I noticed some bird droppings on my tail light and rear bumper. I carry a small bottle of Griot's Garage Speed Shine with a microfiber cloth in the trunk and cleaned the droppings up. However, I noticed a spot which remained where one of the droppings was. The spot is appears to be a discoloration from the surrounding area. I don't know if the dropping etched the clear coat or what. I sprayed again, but no difference. Given that the paint is only two months old on the car, I didn't know if i could/should use paint cleaning clay to see if that makes any difference. I am looking for advice. Thank you.

Droppings can/will etch the clear coat/paint and should be cleaned as soon as possible. That being said the use of a clay bar, if done properly, won't hurt your paint, new or old. It may not fix your problem and need something a little stronger, but if you haven't done it to your car yet, it probably needs it anyway.
BTW, my car is also Deep Sea Blue and have experienced the same issues.

dj

Ilovemycar
04-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Honest question, did you even try, just once, a search function here? Like for "poop"?

You would get very informative threads like the one below, where you would learn that stuff like QD (if that's what you're using) doesn't really do anything but cover up.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5717001&postcount=10

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507421

nortynorty
04-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Can't say that I searched on "poop", but I did look through bird droppings and saw several posts. My issue was not as much which product to use to remove the droppings (I've been using Speed Shine for that on my prior cars) but to question whether it was safe to use anything else (paint cleaning clay or other products) with a car which was manufactured two months ago. My understanding is that it takes about four months for the paint to be fully cured.

In any event, I did do a search although maybe it could have been more thorough, but I put in my thread title new car to make a distinction. Didn't mean to add clutter or waste anyone's time with a redundant post.

mujjuman
04-18-2011, 11:56 AM
The bird poop will etch the paint. I try to clean it asap, even if it means pouring a bottle of water on it and wiping it lol.

Munich77
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Can't say that I searched on "poop", but I did look through bird droppings and saw several posts. My issue was not as much which product to use to remove the droppings (I've been using Speed Shine for that on my prior cars) but to question whether it was safe to use anything else (paint cleaning clay or other products) with a car which was manufactured two months ago. My understanding is that it takes about four months for the paint to be fully cured.

In any event, I did do a search although maybe it could have been more thorough, but I put in my thread title new car to make a distinction. Didn't mean to add clutter or waste anyone's time with a redundant post.

New paint is baked on at the factory so it should be ready for waxing as soon as you take possession. The 2 months rule applies to older kind of paints - 30 days for repaint.

TJPark01
04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
depends how bad it is. There are many different levels of bird etching. I am gonna assume that it's not that bad on your car because you probably caught it soon. I would try and remove it by hand with with Scratch X and a foam pad. If this doesn't work, then you're gonna need a DA and some cutting compound. If you don't have one, I would have detailer look at it. Or just buy one on line, the default is the Porter Cable 7424XP.
How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25251)

thecushion
04-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Honest question, did you even try, just once, a search function here? Like for "poop"?

You would get very informative threads like the one below, where you would learn that stuff like QD (if that's what you're using) doesn't really do anything but cover up.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5717001&postcount=10

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507421

Honest suggestion..... Dont be an ASS!!!!!!!!:thumbdwn:

TOGWT
04-20-2011, 03:12 AM

OEM pait is oven or infra red baked to ensure its cross-linked before interior trim and upholstery etc and exterior trim is fitted.

Care care products will not 'harm' OEM paint, can't say the same thing for bird excrement though :thumbdwn:

TOGWT
04-20-2011, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=10

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=507421

Honest suggestion..... Dont be an ASS!!!!!!!!

Almost nobody uses the search function to find an answer, as its far easier to just ask the question. [EDIT Added 04/22] The search function use is a double edged sword as an older post may not contain up-to-date information. To be of real practical use; a subject like automotive detailing requires a great deal of research, and updating as new products become available. There is also a need to seek clarification or ask questions in 'real time'.

This is the reason I started to write a book on detailing, the same questions kept being asked so I filed my answers and over the years it became a book and a series of in-depth articles to address detailing questions...

{Knowledge Management} - Treating experience as a shared asset. If this article was informative and you learned something new, or have any questions feel free to comment. We would love if you shared this article with your friends on and Twitter or linked to it from your website
Thanks

Also see TOGWT Blog for constantly updated detailing information http: //TOGWT 1980.blogspot.com

Ilovemycar
04-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Honest suggestion..... Dont be an ASS!!!!!!!!:thumbdwn:

:rofl:

Cars aren't even my primary hobby, but I've ran plenty of search functions. Some tidbits are buried in extraordinarily long and multiple threads.

However, from my recollections, bird droppings gave me instant and relevant results after just a 2 second search. I daresay it was the easiest search I've ever made at this forum.

For those who do not know how to search, I highly recommend playing with "title search", while choosing a specific subforum. (Not just a keyword function, across all of BF for instance.)

example: go to advanced search. under keywords, choose title search = bird. subforum = detailing department. BAM!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/search.php?searchid=14598933

thecushion
04-21-2011, 07:14 AM
THX for the info.

TOGWT
04-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Bird excrement is one of the most damaging environmental pollutents as they relate to automobile paint as it comprises; Ammonia and urine as white crystals of uric acid (pH 3.0 - 4.5) a small organic compound, which is produced by the breakdown of protein during digestion, and is excreted by reptiles and birds. Uric acid is also the end product of nitrogen catabolism in birds Ammonia is a mixture of nitrogen gas and hydrogen gas; with moisture as a catalyst it becomes Ammonium Hydroxide, which is caustic.

Heat and water act as a catalyst; a vehicle paint surface temperature of >90.oF creates a very aggressive reactivity of the Alkaline, Uric Acid and Ammonia. This will cause surface etching, so they should be removed without delay.