PDA

View Full Version : New to me 95 325is running board fade

MikoPr
04-23-2011, 10:38 AM
As the Title says, just bought a 325 and the running boards are faded almost as if the clear polish came of or like serious calcium build up as you would see on a mirror or tile in bathroom.

My question is does it have to be painted or can I polish it back to life ? Also what products would you reccomend?

Thanks

CGdetailing
04-24-2011, 02:16 AM
can you snap a quick pic of it?

MikoPr
04-24-2011, 08:04 PM
look at the pic on my Signature its the same on both sides

MikoPr
04-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Oh well since no one can tell me if I can polish it or not I will let you know heading to paint shop to purchase a dark paint polish and will let you know after I clean and attempt to polish.

Johnz3mc
04-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Sorry for not helping Miko.
It's not that we don't want to help, it's just that we can't really get a good look at the problem area. A good closeup of the area would have helped a lot and we would have offered a few options.
Hopefully the shop will have a suggestion or two for you.
-John C.

MikoPr
04-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Ok let's see if I can do this from phone. http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6898e79-cdfa-cabf.jpg

Posted Using Bimmer App from iPhone

jfs356
04-27-2011, 04:55 AM
I used Bumper and Trim paint to paint the black lower body cladding on my E34 - it looks great and lasts. Made by Duplicolor and can be found at Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. It dries to a nice black, matte finish.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/trimPaint/

MikoPr
04-27-2011, 10:06 AM
I used Bumper and Trim paint to paint the black lower body cladding on my E34 - it looks great and lasts. Made by Duplicolor and can be found at Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. It dries to a nice black, matte finish.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/trimPaint/

You might be missing the fact that they are color matched to the car they are the same paint color as the car. So painting it matte is not an option for me.

MikoPr
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd494/Mikopr/Barrunningboard.jpg

Better picture here

jfs356
04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Or you can go to bodyshop and pay probably $200-250 for them to paint it black, which when dry will still look near matte finish, as it is only plastic. All the older 325s look that way to me.

MikoPr
04-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Guess what finally a nice (not Pouring rain) day in Wisconsin a little elbow grease and its almost fixed. It looks like someone decided to spray paint it matte gray to match the bottom of the bumpers. So I almost have it all off. Just taking a lot of time.

Now I do have another question I'm getting ready to wet sand the hood and fenders due to Many surface scratches what do you folks recommend for Polish and wax after the sanding is done. I'd use Zainos but I dont want to wait for an order I would like to do it this weekend.

Johnz3mc
04-27-2011, 07:15 PM
It's good you found out what the issue was.

Be gentle with the wet sanding and don't start with too coarse a grit.
As for removing the wet sanding marks, you'll want to use Meguiars M105 with maybe a yellow cutting pad on a PC. Then you can do the final finishing polish with M205 on a white or black finishing pad.
Both of those products should be available locally.
As for a good topping wax (or sealant), I'd head to a marine shop and see if they had any Collinite waxes. The Collinite line is mostly a hybrid sealant and lasts a long time, good shine, great durability and lasting power and is used for cars and boats.
Good luck,
-John C.

MikoPr
04-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Perfect thanks. I'd figure I'd start with a small area first like the hood and see how it goes :-)

MikoPr
04-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Perfect I just wet sanded the areas on the hood that had serious scratches I will go ahead and use the 2 products listed above and post pictures. You should've seen the look on my friends faces and I was wet sanding. I haven't done this in over 15 years but now its all coming back to me now I remembered why I paid 8k for a paint job on my 79 TT TransAm.