PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and Protecting Wheels and Rims - Suggestions?

NecArn
04-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Hello,

I am really new to cleaning wheels and rims, to sealants and waxing, etc. So I need some suggestions with products and application from the experienced members of the forum.

I wash my car every week once and use the Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo and microfibre cleaning towels. It seems to work fine and keep swirling scratches to a minimum. However, wheels and tires are new to me. So today I went ahead and bought Maguire's Aluminium Wheel Cleaner and Hot Shine Tire Spray. I bought the Aluminium wheel cleaner because it seems to be a more delicate product even though I have the alloy M Sport Package wheels.

Would you suggest these products?

I also need help with applying these; is it OK to apply them while the tires are mounted (it must be right)? The insides of the rims should be cleaned and protected as best as possible, I guess, right?

For tire protection I keep reading about Rejex and P21. They seem to be hard to get here. Assuming that I did, should they be applied when the tire is unmounted?

Could anyone give a brief step-by-step tire protection and cleaning guide.

Thanks in advance.

Angelo@properautocare.com
04-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Clean one wheel at a time.
Spray wheel and tire with water.
Spray a fine mist of cleaner over entire tire & wheel. ( P21 Gel Wheel Cleaner, ARO for Tires )
Allow cleaner to dwell for 10 - 30 seconds. (Longer if wheel is extremely soiled.)
Agitate surface with a Tire & Wheel Brush or sponge soaked with car wash shampoo if you don't have a wheel soap.
Hose off thoroughly with a strong water spray.

P21 Gel Wheel (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/p2wheelclean.html) is the safest product to use on your rims. P21S is a safe, pH-controlled, non-acid, non-lye based detergent that provides terrific cleaning and guarantees not to damage any type of wheel: painted, clear-coated, polished or anodized.

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/p2wheelclean.html

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/amazingrolloff2.html

NecArn
04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks a lot for your post. I am going to see if I can find this product locally before ordering online, due to the incredible amount of shipping fees that is generally required (did not check your site).

Angelo@properautocare.com
04-26-2011, 01:59 PM
I always post our sales that include FREE shipping at the vendor site, always take a look there, Next one is coming soon.

Searaven98
06-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Every 6 months I dismount the wheels and...
1 I rinse excesive dirt and grime
2 Use a GPC, ensure that it is safe for your wheel
3 Agitate using a soft bristle brush
4 Use tar and bug remover if necesary
5 Repeat steps 3-4
6 Inspect for cracks damage etc and take corrective action
7 If wheel OK, then dry, and wax/seal (I put 2 coat of wheel wax), also if you want you can polish then too the wax
8 Buff, take picture of wheel :)
9 Mount wheel
10 Do other wheels

To some it seems long and wasteful to do this much, but... you get to inspect the condition of your wheels and tires, you can check your rotors and brake pads while you are it; waxing the wheel unsures that future cleanings are easier & without the need to use harsh chemicals, unless you travel thrugh some constrution areas etc. Some people do this before winter IO to store their summer tires or to simply protect them from salt or whatever chemical are used to keep roads from freezing, of course if you live in S California this dosen't apply much. Ohh yeah you can use quick wax or detailers spray to maintain shine, just dont let the wax or detailer spray get on your brake pads or rotors, use rag to apply the liquid to the wheel and the buff.