PDA

View Full Version : X5 Self-Leveling Suspension

bigheadsportz
02-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Hi,
I noticed in the broshure of the X5 2001 3.0i, it says there's a self-leveling suspension. Does anyone know what that means or functions?
Thanks,

Jonathan

swindonhost
02-28-2004, 03:53 AM
Hi,
I noticed in the broshure of the X5 2001 3.0i, it says there's a self-leveling suspension. Does anyone know what that means or functions?
Thanks,

Jonathan

Iunderstand 2 options exist, single axle and twin axle.

If you take the twin axle option the vehicle will adjust both front and back settings to level and compensate for load, in addition you can adjust the ride height and lower the vehicle for loading. (I don't think you can travel on the low setting)

Single axle it will compensate for heavy loads but you have no manual adjustment available.

In essence, it will attempt to keep the front and back of the vehicle at the same attitude.

Eric B
03-08-2004, 05:13 PM
is there any way to tell if you have the single axle version? I guess I could load up the back and see if it corrects for the load...but was hoping there was an easier way.

AndDown
03-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi,
Thanks,

Jonathan

On US models, available only on the 3.0i with sport package. Interestingly, not offered as part of the SP on the 4.4i. The self-leveling suspension is only on the rear axle (2001 model). I believe the more recent models have the ride height adjustment option, not sure which MY or with which option package.

swindonhost
03-08-2004, 11:54 PM
On US models, available only on the 3.0i with sport package. Interestingly, not offered as part of the SP on the 4.4i. The self-leveling suspension is only on the rear axle (2001 model). I believe the more recent models have the ride height adjustment option, not sure which MY or with which option package.

Single axle is standard, if you have twin axle, you will have a ride height adjustment button in the cab

AndDown
03-09-2004, 12:05 AM
I just checked the 2001 brochure for the X5 and the self-leveling feature is standard for the 4.4i (both SP and non-SP). It's not offered in the non-SP 3.0i model (MY2001).

swindonhost
03-09-2004, 04:01 AM
I just checked the 2001 brochure for the X5 and the self-leveling feature is standard for the 4.4i (both SP and non-SP). It's not offered in the non-SP 3.0i model (MY2001).

In Europe rear axle self leveling is standard on all models, I can't say if it was in the past.