PDA

View Full Version : Dissolved my clay bar?

AZDrPhil
05-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I got a Mothers clay bar kit, gave 1 bar and the included detail spray to my daughter. I used the other bar with a 1-8 mixture of Meguiars Gold Class car wash & water. We both started together, however, after about 15 minutes my bar started breaking up into little pieces and literally dissolving in my hand. Hers was fine.

Is this typical of Mothers or is it my fault for using car shampoo + water for the lube?

CGdetailing
05-01-2011, 07:55 PM
hm.... this is weird. I use the claybar with soap most of the time and it works fine, not sure why this happened. What is your method of using the soap with the clay? Spray on panel and glide claybar over or when you're washing you clay same time??

Ilovemycar
05-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I got a Mothers clay bar kit, gave 1 bar and the included detail spray to my daughter. I used the other bar with a 1-8 mixture of Meguiars Gold Class car wash & water. We both started together, however, after about 15 minutes my bar started breaking up into little pieces and literally dissolving in my hand. Hers was fine.

Is this typical of Mothers or is it my fault for using car shampoo + water for the lube?

I've used Mother's, with at least a few different products, but never with a typical car wash. I pretty much have settled on Optimum No Rinse diluted for my lube for the foreseeable future. I find that Mother's clay is firmer than other clays that I've owned and used. However, I'd also say it's truly the least likely to crumble, and therefore I must believe it is either your wash, and/or the concentration.

I see that the ONR rec for lube dilution is only 4x stronger than the wash dilution.

I believe your 1-8 mixture is a whopping 16x stronger than the recommended wash dilution for Gold Class wash?

I highly recommend the ONR, and if only ever used for clay lube, it could possibly last you your lifetime. However, it can also be used as a wash, wash additive, quick detailer, in addition to lube.

Angelo@properautocare.com
05-02-2011, 04:42 AM

Alot of car washes with attack a clay bar and make it dissolve in your hand. Go with a quick detailer spray or use ONR like Ilovemycar has wrote.

http://www.properautocare.com/nr2006c.html

AZDrPhil
05-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Thanks very much for the tips. I'll try ONR next time but I do admit making my mixture too strong with the Meguiars soap. I probably used 1:6, didn't measure.

DetailDan
05-02-2011, 07:16 AM
This sometimes happens when using soap with clay. I do it all the time though and dont have issues.

Todd@properautocare.com
05-02-2011, 08:07 AM
This sometimes happens when using soap with clay. I do it all the time though and dont have issues.

Exactly. Some soaps seem to dissolve some claybars. It's hard to keep a log of what does what with which, but find a combo that works and stick with it :thumbup:

dpritchett
05-02-2011, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=

I highly recommend the ONR, and if only ever used for clay lube, it could possibly last you your lifetime. However, it can also be used as a wash, wash additive, quick detailer, in addition to lube.[/QUOTE]

FWIW -- I just used ONR last weekend when I clayed my wife's car ... I'm sold. It was a great lube.