PDA

View Full Version : Monaco Blue 335, not sure how to take care of it exactly

Kamil335I
05-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Hey guys picked the car up a few days ago, the paint feels a bit rough or maybe it's just me, I want to clay-bar the car, any tips or tricks on that particular color, it is also very hard to keep it clean, and the water spots are just everywhere, if you have any particular method to cleaning this color bmw, please share.

Thanks

Ilovemycar
05-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Congratulations on a very nice color, one of my favorites, if not very favorite. (I drive Space Gray, but if I had a say in the matter, it would have been Monaco very likely.)

I don't know of anything that would be done differently with that color. Blemishes will show more since it is a near-black. Essentially, good technique goes for any color out there pretty much. If it's good for one color, it should be good for a different color. The only thing that I can think of that might change with color is choice of carnauba wax (but not synthetic wax).

If you want to do it right, you need to read up on foam guns, and two bucket method wash, along with grit guard.

Clay with lube. If dropped, throw away. Throw MF over shoulder to use for wiping. Keep kneading clay now and then.

Polish, or compound then polish. If never done before, you pretty much will want to have it done, and my guess with MB is that you'll want both, but try the finishing polish first to see if that would be good enough. Look up videos on Porter Cable and/or Flex DA. I have a PC, but really would love to have a Flex too.

Then it will be sealants and/or waxes.

jpdeg99
05-02-2011, 03:19 PM
I just picked up a one year old Monaco Blue 328. Mine was rough as well, and had swirls all over it, courtesy of the dealer ("all dark cars have swirls").

I clayed it, then polished by hand, then waxed. Polishing was a royal pita. I reduced the swirls significantly, and can now see them only in direct, very bright sunlight, at certain angles. I'll pay a good detailer int he future to completely remove them.

In the 3 weeks I have had it, I've noticed it gets dirty fast (last car was white). I am certainly no expert, but I'm washing with Meguires gold class, and waxing with Meguire's nxt 2000 synthetic wax.

The clay process is easy, just takes a while. FIrst wash and rinse. Then, I used Meguire's Quick Detailer. Spray an area, then rub/wipe with the clay. You'll feel resistance at first, then it smoothes out as you remove all the crap. I kept a bucket of soapy water handy to rinse, then wipe each section.

Good luck.

jvr826
05-02-2011, 03:55 PM
If you're not up for learning the art of detailing (it's not for everyone - friends think I'm nuts!), with paint correction and all that goes with it, then you might be best served by getting the car professionally detailed as a fresh start. Then maintain the protection layer (wax or sealant) as often as necessary. My best results didn't come until I bought a selection of various pads, polishes, and a porter cable buffer. As with everything, the prep work is the most important step(s). Hand polishing kinda sucks.

The two-bucket method of washing will greatly reduce swirls you get on dark cars.

3Series335
05-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I have the same color it is the worse to clean!