PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wiper Replacement

angina
05-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Is there a DIY guide on how to replace the windshield wipers on the E83 X3's?

al_macaroni
05-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Is there a DIY guide on how to replace the windshield wipers on the E83 X3's?

I am not aware of any DIYs out there for X3 wiper blade replacement. You might be able to find something for the e46 3-series which may be similiar.

One important tip in changing the X3's windshield wipers is to activate the wipers and turn the car off when the wipers are in the most left position. This will allow you to angle the wiper arms away from the windshield. If you do not do this, the wiper arms are prevented from swinging away from the windshield by the hood.

Then depending upon the type of wiper blade used, there should be a release button on wiper blade near the J-hook portion of the wiper arm. Then you push or pull the wiper arm J-hook through the old wiper blade.

Good luck

angina
05-04-2011, 11:38 AM
will pep boys or any old auto care shop carry wiper blades for this car????

al_macaroni
05-04-2011, 12:01 PM
will pep boys or any old auto care shop carry wiper blades for this car????

Yes - for the front wipers. I don't know if they will have the rear wiper.

Last summer, I put the Bosch Icon wiper blades on my X3. They are expensive, but I have had good luck with them on various cars over the past 5 years. You can search this forum for "wiper chatter" and see some other specific brands for wiper choices.

AzNMpower32
05-04-2011, 02:12 PM
As mentioned, turn on the wiper and quickly switch off the ignition when the wipers are in the upright position, so you have easier access and can hinge them out without damaging the hood.

There's a release catch or spring where it attaches to the J-hook, then pull the entire blade out down from underneath the hook. I believe the OEM fitment is the Valeo SWF and can be found on Amazon. Passenger (http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-800-20-1-European-Wiper-Blade/dp/B001IWFDE2/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2LDXW0OFFNUVL&colid=XQK0OPQ344SA)and Driver (http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-800-22-9-European-Wiper-Blade/dp/B001IWHGLK/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2NKJCHIPCBCRH&colid=XQK0OPQ344SA) side. BMW dealers carry some cheap universal-fit Trico-branded stuff now. The Bosch MicroEdge that's commonly found at car parts stores will work as well.

codog2
05-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I need wipers too. I believe I read here that if you have the original wiper blades you can fit replacement PIAA silicone inserts? Are silicone wiper blades much better than say the Bosch micro edge?

John320
05-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I too needed new wiper blades, and saw an old post from Supercorse, and his recommendation of the PIAA silicone refill blades. Tire Rack had the refill (inserts)
20 inch (94050) $9 and 22 inch (94055) $11.Ö.Just received them and installed tonight.
So far so good, but havenít got a chance yet to really test them out

codog2
05-05-2011, 03:26 AM
I too needed new wiper blades, and saw an old post from Supercorse, and his recommendation of the PIAA silicone refill blades. Tire Rack had the refill (inserts)
20 inch (94050) $9 and 22 inch (94055) $11.Ö.Just received them and installed tonight.
So far so good, but havenít got a chance yet to really test them out

so the refills work with the bmw blades right? Let us know how thy work out

legalfee
05-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Just go to Auto Zone and get the Bosh blades. They'll put them on for you.

John320
05-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Yes these are just a refill for the original wipers. Naturally since I put them on, the rain had stopped and none in the forecast. So I tried the garden house high spray on the windshield with them, and can say under artificial conditions they work very well.
My only regret is - with the size of the box they sent (enormous) I should have ordered a spare set, the shipping probably would have been the same***8230;As far as the Bosh refill blades, I use them on my Volvo, but I couldn***8217;t get the refills for the BMW up here. Now I***8217;ll have something to compare with anyway

enamoured
05-05-2011, 02:23 PM
If you are a Costco memeber then they carry Michelin Stealth wipers, they are basically the same design as Bosch Icon but much cheaper and much better (I know because I used both). No streaking at all, uniform cleaning and no sound even with dry operation -first swing when you spray clean your wiper. They are cheap too @ $11 per wiper, may be cheaper south of the border.

RAG810
05-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Yes, Costco's Michelin wipers are great. Have them on for more than a year now, still no streaking. Plus it's cheaper here in VA, only $8 each.

bluskye
05-08-2011, 01:42 PM
The PIAA refills are $6.37 and $9.99 on Amazon. Sweeter deal if you have Amazon Prime =)

angina
05-09-2011, 12:13 PM
thanks guys. ill check out the michelin stealth blades at Costco.

Is there a certain fitment or size that I need specific to the X3? This is for the front windshield

CleanKM
05-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I have michelin blades on mine, they are the rainx/bosch type, love them. I opened my hood and did it through there.

BruceOmega
05-10-2011, 08:45 AM
I ran into an issue with Bosch Excel + replacement wiper blades for our 2006 X3. Bought them from a local auto parts store specializing in parts for foreign brands, and their book said those Bosch blades would fit the X3, but they did not. Can't remember if the Bosch blade attaching mechanism was too small or too big, but there was a mismatch with the OEM wiper arm.

I ended up going to the dealer and buying new wiper blades, at a much higher price, and installed those without a problem.

What specific Bosch blades have others found to fit the X3?

I first tried buying refills from the dealer. Did not have any trouble installing the refill on the rear wiper, but had trouble with the windshield ones. The dealer's refills had several plastic clips on them, which I thought I had to remove to be able to install them. But when I removed the clips, the refills came apart- the thin metal rails that run down both sides of the rubber blade fell out. The problem was probably due to my lack of experience, but I decided to buy new blades rather than fiddle with refills, although that turned out to be much more expensive.

Bruce

legalfee
05-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I ran into an issue with Bosch Excel + replacement wiper blades for our 2006 X3. Bought them from a local auto parts store specializing in parts for foreign brands, and their book said those Bosch blades would fit the X3, but they did not. Can't remember if the Bosch blade attaching mechanism was too small or too big, but there was a mismatch with the OEM wiper arm.

I ended up going to the dealer and buying new wiper blades, at a much higher price, and installed those without a problem.

I first tried buying refills from the dealer. Did not have any trouble installing the refill on the rear wiper, but had trouble with the windshield ones. The dealer's refills had several plastic clips on them, which I thought I had to remove to be able to install them. But when I removed the clips, the refills came apart- the thin metal rails that run down both sides of the rubber blade fell out. The problem was probably due to my lack of experience, but I decided to buy new blades rather than fiddle with refills, although that turned out to be much more expensive.

Bruce

Use Bosh Icons from Auto Zone. Part numbers 422a and 420b.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Bosch-Icon-Wiper-Blade/2006-BMW-X3-AWD/_/N-jo8zpZ8gcw1?counter=4&filterByKeyWord=wiper&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=761545_2137_0_2805

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Bosch-Icon-Wiper-Blade/2006-BMW-X3-AWD/_/N-jo8zpZ8gcw1?counter=5&filterByKeyWord=wiper&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=761555_2418_0_2805

AzNMpower32
05-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Bruce
As mentioned above, the Bosch MicroEdge works without any adapters, just clips in.

The dealer refills are sourced from Trico, basically a universal refill with snap-off bits that don't last long. The real OEM stuff is Valeo SWF for sale on Amazon.

BruceOmega
05-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Use Bosh Icons from Auto Zone. Part numbers 422a and 420b.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Bosch-Icon-Wiper-Blade/2006-BMW-X3-AWD/_/N-jo8zpZ8gcw1?counter=4&filterByKeyWord=wiper&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=761545_2137_0_2805

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Bosch-Icon-Wiper-Blade/2006-BMW-X3-AWD/_/N-jo8zpZ8gcw1?counter=5&filterByKeyWord=wiper&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=761555_2418_0_2805

Thank you. I'll try these next time.

Bruce

my99bimmer
07-26-2011, 04:46 AM
I just put PIAA Silicone on mine. They work fantastic!

Bav Auto

They are a bit expensive but no chatter. I'll keep you posted on how long they last.