PDA

View Full Version : Drove the new 650i Convertable

Greyfox57
05-05-2011, 05:09 AM
Test drove the new 650i convertable yesterday in Pennsylvania. The car feels a lot bigger - you sit lower in the car with the sides much higher than the last model. Its a similar feeling you get when in the new 5. Car had 20 inch tires and they look amazing. (I think 19 inch tires will leave a large wheel well opening and take away from the look). For me the road noise of both the tires and the roof where annoying. I have a coupe on order and happy I do, because of the roof noise. The car handles beautifully. Low end torque is terrific - seems like a 100 hp more on the low end rather than 40. I love the electronics - cameras, nav and hud are great. Office feature will be useful. When you sit in the car you really feel you are in a cockpit. Interior is really an upgrade over the last model
Overall impression of the car for me is that the 6 is moving away from a sports car look and more toward a touring look. The car looks a lot bigger than by current 650. I will say the new car I drove, silver with black interior with top up and down looked great. I wanted to love the convertable but didnt.

Leslierc
05-05-2011, 05:25 AM
Test drove the new 650i convertable yesterday in Pennsylvania. The car feels a lot bigger - you sit lower in the car with the sides much higher than the last model. Its a similar feeling you get when in the new 5. Car had 20 inch tires and they look amazing. (I think 19 inch tires will leave a large wheel well opening and take away from the look). For me the road noise of both the tires and the roof where annoying. I have a coupe on order and happy I do, because of the roof noise. The car handles beautifully. Low end torque is terrific - seems like a 100 hp more on the low end rather than 40. I love the electronics - cameras, nav and hud are great. Office feature will be useful. When you sit in the car you really feel you are in a cockpit. Interior is really an upgrade over the last model
Overall impression of the car for me is that the 6 is moving away from a sports car look and more toward a touring look. The car looks a lot bigger than by current 650. I will say the new car I drove, silver with black interior with top up and down looked great. I wanted to love the convertable but didnt.

Thanks for the feedback regarding your impressions! Your comments confirm what I had thought about the new 6 becoming more of a Grand Tourer. I was particularly impressed by your comment regarding the higher sills...good catch...as I think that's part of BMW's new direction in styling. Because I have been a vert guy for about 9 years the noise you describe would be like music for me!:)

Thank goodness you encountered a dealer who understands that people interested in this car, in particular those coming from the current 6 Series, have to be able to test drive it.

Good luck with your coupe when it arrives!

Greyfox57
05-05-2011, 05:48 AM
I didnt mention, interestingly the car I drove was NOT sold. My wife didnt like the car and would rather I buy the 3 series convertible. Not going to happen. Although I have a coupe on order the jury is out for me on this car. If I dont like it when it comes in - may have to wait to see the new SL - I know its not the same but neither is the new 6 for me.

dkreidel
05-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I drove a 650 vert today to be 100% sure the car is what I expect it to be. This one was the same exterior color as mine will be [Orion Silver] but it had the beige interior and top. Not to my taste, but a pretty car. It had all the bells and whistles and stickered at $104K. I didn't notice any objectionable road noise top up or top down with the 20" Dunlop Sport Max tires - I was pleasantly surprised even in Sport and Sport + modes. Lots and lots of torque - can't wait to get mine with the manual gearbox. Apparently BMW called the dealer 3 times to be certain I really did want a manual trans :D

The dealer also had black/black and white/cinnamon cars on the lot - the black and white ones were both sold.

dk