PDA

View Full Version : Gonna blow-dry my car

RBinDC
05-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I just got a new Metro Vac-n-Blo vacuum cleaner, primarily to dry my car when I wash it. I examined it and discovered that I can take off the end cap that holds the dust bag. When I use it as a blower I am thinking about leaving off the end cap and removing the dust bag in order to reduce the air flow restriction restriction. There is still a foam filter protecting the motor for dust particles ingested from the air.

The other alternative is to get a second dust bag to use only for blow drying.

Has anyone tried either of these approaches? Seems to me that sucking air through that 2" input pipe will really reduce the air flow.

Finally, I discovered that Metro makes a machine that is just a blower. Had I known I probably would have just bought that and used my home vacuum for cleaning the car's interior. Too late now.

djfitter
05-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I just got a new Metro Vac-n-Blo vacuum cleaner, primarily to dry my car when I wash it. I examined it and discovered that I can take off the end cap that holds the dust bag. When I use it as a blower I am thinking about leaving off the end cap and removing the dust bag in order to reduce the air flow restriction restriction. There is still a foam filter protecting the motor for dust particles ingested from the air.

Has anyone tried either of these approaches? Seems to me that sucking air through that 2" input pipe will really reduce the air flow.

Finally, I discovered that Metro makes a machine that is just a blower. Had I known I probably would have just bought that and used my home vacuum for cleaning the car's interior. Too late now.

Here is what I have used for years. It is actually the top portion of my shop vac that detaches for use as a leaf blower.

dj

Johnz3mc
05-06-2011, 10:10 PM
When you're vacuuming, the dust bag and the foam filter are capturing the dust/dirt and the foam is protecting the motor from a dusty environment.

When you're using it as a blower though, the dust isn't in the equation any more. The machine is taking in clean air and blowing out clean air. Way, way, way cleaner than the vacuuming situation but still dirtier than air in a purity lab. I'm suggesting the normal air is clean enough so you don't need to bother with the dirt bag nor the foam bit.
So, I'm thinking your logic is fine. Try it for a minute or so and see if the unit explodes. If the Washington DC air is particularly bad, by all means use a clean bag. Otherwise, don't bother. (I don't have any filters on my leaf blower and it hasn't hurt my paint even once in all the years I've been blow drying. Mind you, Canadian air is glacier fresh.)
-John C.

RBinDC
05-07-2011, 05:59 PM
When you're vacuuming, the dust bag and the foam filter are capturing the dust/dirt and the foam is protecting the motor from a dusty environment.

When you're using it as a blower though, the dust isn't in the equation any more. The machine is taking in clean air and blowing out clean air. Way, way, way cleaner than the vacuuming situation but still dirtier than air in a purity lab. I'm suggesting the normal air is clean enough so you don't need to bother with the dirt bag nor the foam bit.
So, I'm thinking your logic is fine. Try it for a minute or so and see if the unit explodes. If the Washington DC air is particularly bad, by all means use a clean bag. Otherwise, don't bother. (I don't have any filters on my leaf blower and it hasn't hurt my paint even once in all the years I've been blow drying. Mind you, Canadian air is glacier fresh.)
-John C.

oh, you Canadians! Where is Sidney? My son lives in Vancouver. I agree, the air (and water) is pristine. But BMWs cost a boatload there. So does wine.

Cheers.

x26
05-08-2011, 09:44 PM
oh, you Canadians! Where is Sidney? My son lives in Vancouver. I agree, the air (and water) is pristine. But BMWs cost a boatload there. So does wine.

Cheers.

Hehe...

Sydney is on Vancouver Island--Sydney is about 30 miles from the gorgeous Capital City of Victoria...I looked at Victoria as a Clean New version of London minus the Trash and Scum...:p

Sydney is where we caught another Ferry to get to the Mainland BC--Beautiful Country. You Lucky Dawgs!!

Todd@properautocare.com
05-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Leaving off the cap will increase flow but is not recommended by the manufacturer. My understanding though is that the motor will have to work less to move the volume which (at least in my VERY BASIC understanding) could increase motor life (if its not over speeding).

Ilovemycar
05-24-2011, 11:41 PM
I just got one of these, and used it over the weekend. I really liked the vacuuming capability, however, I was disappointed with its blowing capability.

Then I noticed afterward in the manual that it says this:

IMPORTANT: To use as a blower, release clamps and remove front end cap, cloth bag, and filter. Failure to do this may result in motor over-heating when in use. (Does not apply to AF models).

The Vac n Blow is not an AF model, correct? I'll give the instructions a go next time; I left everything as is due to my remembrance of this thread. The above quote is printed right above the diagram for how to secure an extension cord to the appliance cord, something I've never ran into before.

DetailDan
05-25-2011, 05:44 AM
Yes, the end cap, bag, and filter should be removed when using it as a blower.

Munich77
05-25-2011, 06:42 AM

I just use an electric leaf blower - works like a charm. I follow up by misting each panel of the car with quick detailer (FK425) and then drying the rest off. It really speeds up drying - especially for all the nooks and crannies like mirrors, body trim etc.

Todd@properautocare.com
05-25-2011, 07:39 AM
+1 on the leaf blower for me as well. :thumbup:

noego
05-25-2011, 09:47 AM
using a leaf blower to dry a Z4 is how a neighbor who never said hello actually stopped to talk. :) i guess it would look weird to the people who think washing a car is what they do after their tank is filled at the gas station.

Johnz3mc
05-25-2011, 03:26 PM
using a leaf blower to dry a Z4 is how a neighbor who never said hello actually stopped to talk. :) i guess it would look weird to the people who think washing a car is what they do after their tank is filled at the gas station.
Neighbours and leaf blowers.
Mine was sort of the same. Last summer mine gave me the weird eyeball while I was blow drying the coupe.
We shot the breeze a bit and low and behold, the neighbour was blow drying his Land Rover the very next weekend.
Another convert.

RBinDC,
You're right, Everything is pricey here in BC. BMWs are outrageously expensive and so is the wine.

steveo90290
06-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Leaf blower is the way to go especially with black. I recently got a variable speed on that is much quieter than my old one. If its going to be a dedicated car drier then look for the lightest weight one. Different muscles for car drying than yard blowing, tweeked my back and shoulder a bit.

Living Dead
07-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Leaf blower is the way to go especially with black. I recently got a variable speed on that is much quieter than my old one. If its going to be a dedicated car drier then look for the lightest weight one. Different muscles for car drying than yard blowing, tweeked my back and shoulder a bit.

Great idea about using a leaf blower, I can't wait to try it this weekend on my black '06 z4:thumbup: my neighbors already think I'm crazy since I dust off my cars almost every day.

skywolf
07-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I read those instructions on mine and was a little concerned. I use mine in my garage and I know that leaves and other debris can make their way in, so I've always wondered how that would work if it got sucked up. Fortunately, my Vac'n'blow hasn't caught fire and burned up my garage.

My Saturn looks like a new BMW after it's been washed and blow dried. :thumbup: to Bimmerfest for getting me hooked on exterior car care.

POof540i
07-11-2011, 06:36 PM
My Saturn looks like a new BMW after it's been washed and blow dried. :thumbup: to Bimmerfest for getting me hooked on exterior car care.

Join a detailing forum and that, "hooked", will reach a whole nother level. Guaranteed to make your pockets lighter and shallower.

Munich77
07-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Join a detailing forum and that, "hooked", will reach a whole nother level. Guaranteed to make your pockets lighter and shallower.

LOL so true....I am glad I am not one of those people that has added up the amount of money spent on detailing supplies.

skywolf
07-12-2011, 07:26 PM
LOL so true....I am glad I am not one of those people that has added up the amount of money spent on detailing supplies.

On that note, I won't either. Water under the bridge!