PDA

View Full Version : Noise with X3 roof open

simpsfan
03-01-2004, 03:21 PM
I just did a test drive and when the moonroof was open on the highway it made this terrible noise, has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

Thanks.
-Mike

Kaz
03-01-2004, 03:26 PM
I've never street-driven a X3, but is it a drumming noise that feels like your ears are going to blow out? If so, you can get pretty much any car to do this under the right conditions and right combination of open glass. My car only does this with all windows closed and the sunroof open 100%, between 30 and 55MPH. Just cracking open any window or closing the roof 2 inches makes it go away. This may or may not work on a X3.

dwm
03-20-2004, 10:56 PM
I've never street-driven a X3, but is it a drumming noise that feels like your ears are going to blow out? If so, you can get pretty much any car to do this under the right conditions and right combination of open glass. My car only does this with all windows closed and the sunroof open 100%, between 30 and 55MPH. Just cracking open any window or closing the roof 2 inches makes it go away. This may or may not work on a X3.

I've come to just expect it on cars with sunroofs. Our A4 does it around 70mph, and all 4 of the cars we've owned with sunroofs have done it, just at different speeds and different levels of annoyance. On each one, closing the sunroof a couple of inches stops it.