PDA

View Full Version : I wish I hadn't taken my car to a car wash..

skywolf
05-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Been a while since I've posted and since then I've bought another car. A 2011 Mazda3 GT.

I've had a swamped few weekends so I decided, rather spontaneously, to take my car to a quick car wash here and just let them do it. seriously, what harm could that do?

They vacuum it out, do whatever and then send it through the wash. They pull it around and I noticed the rear window was cracked about an inch. Open the door and wow, talk about soapy water!

They seemed to be very calm about it (must happen a lot). Anyway, i drove it back to their detail shop and we used compressed air, towels and vacuums to get up the water. They wanted to detail it but I told them they have done enough and went home.

I pulled out the rear bench seat and it was still wet on the bottom (water seeped to the seat pan). I took that into the house and used a high pressure hot air blower to dry that. I also pulled up the carpeting and there was a sizable amount of water on the floor pan of the car. I used some towels to get it up and then unleashed the air hose under there.

Cleaned x2 the rear bench seat with leather cleaner and did my best to triple check any possible places there could be water.

Are there any precautions I should take? As I mentioned, I'm fairly certain I did everything to prevent a future disaster, like mold. If anyone has had.. an experience like this, I sure would like a second opinion.

csmeance
05-15-2011, 04:09 PM
you might want to stick a dehumidifier in the car and have it collect any remaining water to help it dry out. Also you might want to go back and get in writing from the manager what happened so in the event there is a future issue with the car and your warranty won't cover it due to water damage, you can get your money back from the car wash.

Angelo@properautocare.com
05-15-2011, 06:02 PM
I agreed 100%, don't let them off the hook and never again let them or any car wash touch your ride.

Todd@properautocare.com
05-15-2011, 08:13 PM
You should be okay provided you removed the water. I would leave it parked with the windows down (if you have access to secured shelter) for a couple of days. If you notice a mildew smell or any faulty electronics then I would bring it in.

What color M3 by the way? I have a red 2010 MS3 (in red flake).

skywolf
05-16-2011, 06:42 AM
You should be okay provided you removed the water. I would leave it parked with the windows down (if you have access to secured shelter) for a couple of days. If you notice a mildew smell or any faulty electronics then I would bring it in.

What color M3 by the way? I have a red 2010 MS3 (in red flake).

I do have access to a secured lot. Unfortunately, we are not due for any sun here in Atlanta. Mine is Black with Black interior. I really love it, seriously fun car to drive.

jfs356
05-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Let the car sit outside with the windows down to air out, that should be enough. Whatever moisture is left should evaporate on its own, especially if you are lucky enough to have sunshine :)

skywolf
05-22-2011, 06:43 PM
I parked the car at the top of our parking deck and let it air out for two days. Since then I've left it sealed up and upon checking it every now and then it smells brand new still. I'm pretty sure i have dodged a bullet.

I wrote a letter to the car wash corporate headquarters and they gave me a call back. They dodged any responsibility for accidentally lowering the window, but offered a full bumper to bumper detail. Now my Mazda and I both know they lowered the window, but I can't prove a damned thing. I accepted their detail because seriously, what else could I do.

I turned around and offered my brother the free detail and he accepted, to be done after he returns from the beach and camping. So there should be plenty for them to clean. As far as my fleet goes, none of them will be guests at a car wash anytime soon.

Angelo@properautocare.com
05-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Glad to hear it's working out for you.

Todd@properautocare.com
05-30-2011, 06:25 AM
I parked the car at the top of our parking deck and let it air out for two days. Since then I've left it sealed up and upon checking it every now and then it smells brand new still. I'm pretty sure i have dodged a bullet.

I wrote a letter to the car wash corporate headquarters and they gave me a call back. They dodged any responsibility for accidentally lowering the window, but offered a full bumper to bumper detail. Now my Mazda and I both know they lowered the window, but I can't prove a damned thing. I accepted their detail because seriously, what else could I do.

I turned around and offered my brother the free detail and he accepted, to be done after he returns from the beach and camping. So there should be plenty for them to clean. As far as my fleet goes, none of them will be guests at a car wash anytime soon.

Glad it all worked out for you.