PDA

View Full Version : Oyster Dakota Leather - protection

Sufi
05-18-2011, 02:06 AM
Taking delivery of my 535i xDrive with Oyster Dakota leather. Really worried about it staining. What would you recommend for leather protection against stainins etc? The dealer's offering an Interior Protection package that includes some form of Scotchgard (leather conditioner I am assuming since Scotchgard does not work on leather) and rip, tear, scratch warranty.

Any suggestions would be fantastic!

I tried to look around for leather conditioners, but there are too many options/brands available! Any recommendaitons on that as well?

Angelo@properautocare.com
05-18-2011, 05:13 AM
All leather requires some type of conditioning to replace it oils lost through day to day use. If these oils are not replenished, leather will dry out, become crack and brittle. That's way it's just as important to maintain it just like the outside of your car. Products like Blackfire High-UV Leather Conditioner, Raggtopp Leather Care Kit, Leatherique and Optimum Leather Protectant are some the will help in protecting them for many years of enjoyment.

http://www.properautocare.com/leatcarprod1.html

Angelo@properautocare.com
05-18-2011, 05:18 AM
I would always think twice when a dealer would offer some type of protection package for your vehicle ( exterior and interior ). Read the fine print and do some research before spending your hard earn money there on these packages.

DetailDan
05-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Leather Masters or Optimum Protectant Plus will be fine.

Todd@properautocare.com
05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Taking delivery of my 535i xDrive with Oyster Dakota leather. Really worried about it staining. What would you recommend for leather protection against stainins etc? The dealer's offering an Interior Protection package that includes some form of Scotchgard (leather conditioner I am assuming since Scotchgard does not work on leather) and rip, tear, scratch warranty.

Any suggestions would be fantastic!

I tried to look around for leather conditioners, but there are too many options/brands available! Any recommendations on that as well?

Modern leathers really don't require conditioning per say. Most conditioners are really protectants designed to shield the leather from UV light as well as provide some level of lubricity that resists abrasion which can sand the coating thin over time.

Your best bet is to keep the leather clean. Blackfire UV Conditioner is a high UV water based protectant that is non-greasy. Treatments with leatherqiue can keep the hide (under the coating) more supple and clean, although this treatment is probably not warranted immediately.

Regarding the warranty offer from BMW, look it over carefully. If they are really willing to warrenty against rips and tears, then it may be worth it (regardless of the actual effectiveness of the product they use).

dboy11
05-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Modern leathers really don't require conditioning per say. Most conditioners are really protectants designed to shield the leather from UV light as well as provide some level of lubricity that resists abrasion which can sand the coating thin over time.

Your best bet is to keep the leather clean. Blackfire UV Conditioner is a high UV water based protectant that is non-greasy. Treatments with leatherqiue can keep the hide (under the coating) more supple and clean, although this treatment is probably not warranted immediately.

Regarding the warranty offer from BMW, look it over carefully. If they are really willing to warrenty against rips and tears, then it may be worth it (regardless of the actual effectiveness of the product they use).

Solid advice :D