PDA

View Full Version : loose leather

sa21189
05-19-2011, 12:38 AM
i saw a video of a guy using a hot air gun to make loose leather on a car seat tight again...does this really work? and if so will using a hair dryer do the same thing?

TOGWT
05-19-2011, 02:15 AM
If the finished leather has streached, in some instances by dampening the surface and then applying heat its possible that the surface will tighten up.

Also be cognizant that if oils have permeated between the hide and the pigmentation coating it may have become delaminated, which means the two surfaces are moving idependaly

dboy11
05-19-2011, 08:20 AM
What seat are you talking about that has stretched?

sa21189
05-19-2011, 09:46 AM
the front drivers seat and the front passenger seat

dboy11
05-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I suspected that. BMW leather IMO is very good, but the padding compresses very quickly. That's what causing the sagging that you are seeing. In my 1999 ...540i I had the same issues, with the driver seat. The other seats where fine, prior owner was a single Doctor.

You can buy the replacement padding OEM or after market. Fairly easy to replace, requires taking the seat out. But it will correct the sagging in your leather.

If you do replace the padding...while the seats are out. I would treat them with Leatherique two step process but works wonders on cleaning and conditioning the leather.

sa21189
05-19-2011, 12:43 PM
thats great to know, very helpful, do you know where i might be able to get some replacement padding? and is the process of taking out the seats and replacing them hard?

dboy11
05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
thats great to know, very helpful, do you know where i might be able to get some replacement padding? and is the process of taking out the seats and replacing them hard?

Its been years since I did that job, mine was an e39 and there was a site that explained it. I would start a thread in your cars section and someone will have links for the padding and intrusions.:D

jfs356
05-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Taking seats out of most cars is typically loosening four (4) bolts at seat rail and unplugging the power receptacle (male/female plug). I did this on my Volvo last year to replace the seat cushion. The seat is heavy, but you tilt it and pull it out.