PDA

View Full Version : Help me!!! I don't know what to do

Bimmer328xiCoup
05-19-2011, 07:27 AM
I have a black 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe. I had a issue with a friend of mine using a wool pad to wax my car.(this was before I knew anything about detailing) And he has messed it up big time. No longer speak to that friend because of this ahhahaha. I figured it was ok to let him work on my car since he does the same to his 37 roadster and 57 chevy... He messed up my baby. I am torn on what I should do. I have a porter cable but it will never get these deep swirl marks out. It was a jet black car when i got it but now when the sun is beating directly on it all you see are swirl marks and the car looks gray. I live in the new york city area and I know there are plenty of detailing places around but i have a feeling it is going to be very expensive to get fixed. Also I am moving into an apartment complex that I will not have access to a hose to wash the car myself and maintain it. So i am starting to think that getting the whole car completely done will turn out to be a waste of money. I don't know what to do! What do you guys think?

GarySL
05-19-2011, 07:41 AM
If your friend messed it up, then at least come to an agreement that they should cover the cost to fix it. No matter where it gets washed thereafter, you won't ever feel right about the paint job anyway.

Good luck, black exterior care seems to be tough love.

Bimmer328xiCoup
05-19-2011, 07:47 AM
no longer speak to that friend due to being the ex-girlfriends father!! ahahah

GarySL
05-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Small claims court then, hahaha! No need to speak with them.

Otherwise, just get it fixed.

CALWATERBOY
05-19-2011, 08:02 AM
I have a black 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe. I had a issue with a friend of mine using a wool pad to wax my car.

Wool. Sheep's wool? Scratched your car, you say?

Bimmer328xiCoup
05-19-2011, 08:04 AM
dammitt i don't know what to do...I am on the BMW website looking at trade ins right now...

charlesberry
05-19-2011, 08:05 AM
wool pads are for heavy cutting and polishing. They are fine for some applications but I would think not for a newer BMW. It needs to be repolished and you can do that with the porter cable, foam pads and a medium cutting polish, like Meguiars 205/105.

You may want to seek a prof. detailer to do to. I'd get in tough with Phil over Detailer's Domain. He's a sponsor here on this site and he does amazing work. and he's in North Jersey.

Bimmer328xiCoup
05-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Yea I spoke to him and he gave me a rough quote thru PM and it was more then what I was expecting

1985mb
05-19-2011, 08:18 AM
no longer speak to that friend due to being the ex-girlfriends father!! ahahah

So you were bangin' his daughter?

Bimmer328xiCoup
05-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Ahahahaha this thread is starting to move in the wrong direction away from the topic lol...

Jace_91
05-19-2011, 08:32 AM
To fix the problem your gonna have to spend some money, especially if you want it done right. If it's worth it to you then file a small claims suit. If you trade it in with the paint like that the dealer is going to take off more from the value than it would cost to fix it.

DSXMachina
05-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Stop asking us for advice. We can't see your car. Take it to a professional detailer (not just a kid with a PC and some glaze) and get his opinion. They can work miracles, take a look at some of the paint restorations down in the Detailers Forum.

1985mb
05-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Stop asking us for advice. We can't see your car.

No but maybe we can see the ex and decide if she was worth it

DSXMachina
05-19-2011, 01:44 PM
No but maybe we can see the ex and decide if she was worth it

Nah, we couldn't help that guy in Toronto whose chick did a job on his hood, we can't help him.
OP, post pics of ex, or it didn't happen.

GiaGiaJa
05-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Also I am moving into an apartment complex that I will not have access to a hose to wash the car myself and maintain it. So i am starting to think that getting the whole car completely done will turn out to be a waste of money. I don't know what to do! What do you guys think?

What about this

http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/clipart/toys/images/watering%20can_jpg.jpg

or

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2009/05/BUCKET.JPG

Bimmer328xiCoup
05-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks to the very few that actually gave me some advice...I appreciate it

RBinDC
05-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Yea I spoke to him and he gave me a rough quote thru PM and it was more then what I was expecting

Hey, if it's even fixable you are one lucky guy! Pay the man.

dboy11
05-19-2011, 03:08 PM
I have a black 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe. I had a issue with a friend of mine using a wool pad to wax my car.(this was before I knew anything about detailing) And he has messed it up big time. No longer speak to that friend because of this ahhahaha. I figured it was ok to let him work on my car since he does the same to his 37 roadster and 57 chevy... He messed up my baby. I am torn on what I should do. I have a porter cable but it will never get these deep swirl marks out. It was a jet black car when i got it but now when the sun is beating directly on it all you see are swirl marks and the car looks gray. I live in the new york city area and I know there are plenty of detailing places around but i have a feeling it is going to be very expensive to get fixed. Also I am moving into an apartment complex that I will not have access to a hose to wash the car myself and maintain it. So i am starting to think that getting the whole car completely done will turn out to be a waste of money. I don't know what to do! What do you guys think?

Let me start that wool pads are for heavy cutting, they are intense in heat. Depending on what cut of polish he used all that happened and is expected with wool is the finish looks hazy and you can see some swirls or buffer trails.

No big deal what needs to be done now, is to polish the car using a light cut polish and polishing pad with your PC..This will smooth out the paints finish, and take the buffer marks & hazing out

All that said you should get a good detailer if your not experienced enough to do this.

Trust me with a 2008 car what ever was done to your car it can be corrected

jfs356
05-19-2011, 05:22 PM
As the joke goes, "that will buff out". Unless he burnt through the clearcoat into the paint, which is unlikely, all you have is swirls in the clearcoat. A good detailer can correct that, especially since your car is fairly new.

Ilovemycar
05-19-2011, 06:20 PM

As offered already, get a pro's opinion. Or two. Then get it fixed.

For maintenance, use Optimum No Rinse wash. Unique, effective; it works. Do it often, like every week. All you take to the parking lot is one bucket and a couple of towels (though more wouldn't hurt). Maintenance is key if you want to pay the least amount possible to high level pros.

Give it a "mini detail" every several months, like a claying with Pinnacle Ultra Poly and a coat of sealant. You don't need any machinery whatsoever for any of this.

The great thing about the ONR is that at a diff concentration, it is now your clay lube too, and IMO, it is the best clay lube I have used.

Then put on a coat of sealant or two; I see TOGWT recommended Optimum products here in another thread, for the longevity. I've used two different Meguiars sealants, and I like em, but it's not like I have much to compare to.

Some would say you should do a light polish after every clay during your mini details, and if any color would need it, it's probably black . . . but hopefully you'll become interested enough to start doing it yourself with a PC . . . but if not, you're already taking better care than 99% of the rest of the world . . .

After every several mini details or so, pay a pro for the full detail every once in a while.

AndrewBigA
05-19-2011, 06:37 PM
you can stop by my shop for a free evaluation! ill go over your car, explain whats going on & how i need to fix the issues from the other guy! we can agree on a reasonable price & then move foward with getting you an appointment! let me know if your comming by. give me a call before you come.
the paint def needs to be re-compounded & then followed up with 2 polishing steps.
a rotary machine is the right tool for the job. youd want somene with experience to do this for you. pick me (raises hand in the back of the classroom) =)
once the work is done & the paint is restored its up to you to maintain the finish.
if you cant wash it yourself, find a local hand wash spot to take care of this.
this is not a quick fix. a job like this needs to be worked out with great patience & determination!
ok i am done. give me a call if your interested. i am an "ok" detailer lol. :bigpimp:
my shop is in queens. if your close to the verazanno its a good half hour drive without any traffic.