PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar Wheels?

Bimmernut68
05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Just finished cleaning and tires and wheels and am about to apply rejex to the wheels to minimize brake dust. Should I clay bar my wheels before I apply the rejex?

Angelo@properautocare.com
05-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes, you should clay bar them before using the sealant.

dboy11
05-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Just finished cleaning and tires and wheels and am about to apply rejex to the wheels to minimize brake dust. Should I clay bar my wheels before I apply the rejex?

What are the condition of the wheels? Are they real clean? what's the finish?

to simply say yes, I would like to understand the above. The only time that I have used clay on any rims. Was to remove tar or other contaminants that polish hadn't.

Thanks

Bimmernut68
05-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Wheels are on a 2001 Porsche that have never been detailed. They look OK but over the years have had looks of Brake dust on them and have never been sealed.

You guys are great with your help and comments.

Thanks...

Bimmernut68
05-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Sorry, it should have been lots of brake dust...

dboy11
05-26-2011, 07:15 AM
Wheels are on a 2001 Porsche that have never been detailed. They look OK but over the years have had looks of Brake dust on them and have never been sealed.

You guys are great with your help and comments.

Thanks...

The finish on that car is an anodized clear coated rim, I've worked on many of them. That said you might try the clay it won't hurt the finish, sounds like it would pickup the baked on dust. I'm going to suggest use polish them as well to smooth out the finish. The polish that you want is a chemical based (no grit) The one that I like is Poorboys Pro-Polish extremely good polish for these rims. You might also ask Todd@ proper auto care for a suggestion, he is a site sponsor here.

Then the rejex will adhere / bond to the metal very well.

Bimmernut68
05-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks dboy 11 followed your suggestion and applied Rejex to the Porsche wheels. After a drive, I had some brake dust on the rims which were easily wiped off.

I have since applied Rejex to the Bimmer. They look great...