PDA

View Full Version : OEM Sirius installed on MY03 X5 with NAV

IFlyX5
03-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Contrary to what BMWNA press stated, the OEM Sirius Kit works with MY03+. Mine is an 08/03 production X5 4.6iS and I just installed the kit today. The press stated that it would only work on 10/03 production or later.

I suspect that it would work on production dates as early as 03/03.

http://members.roadfly.org/IFlyX5/siriusrecvr.jpg

http://members.roadfly.org/IFlyX5/siriusnav1.jpg

http://members.roadfly.org/IFlyX5/siriusnav2.jpg

Terry Kennedy
03-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Contrary to what BMWNA press stated, the OEM Sirius Kit works with MY03+. Mine is an 08/03 production X5 4.6iS and I just installed the kit today. The press stated that it would only work on 10/03 production or later.

I suspect that it would work on production dates as early as 03/03.Cool! How / where does it attach to the NAV system? Also, can you post your NAV display revision info? (post here if you don't know how to get to the service menu and I'll post the instructions).

simpsfan
03-06-2004, 10:16 PM
Can you provide some info on this whole setup, the dealership I'm shopping at is fuzzy on the topic.

What does the Sirius prep kit for $75 get you?
Did you still need to buy additional parts?
How much did they cost?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rangerfan
03-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Everything you need to know is now on www.x5world.com--#21 under Stereo. Thanks to IFlyX5 for an amazing writeup on the install!! If I get to Tampa, I'm buying him a beer! :-)

babskinyc
03-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Do you know what version of Nav software your headunit is using? Is it v22.1?

To determine which Nav OS software version you presently have, go into either “Set” or “Settings” from the main menu of your navigation screen. In the upper right hand corner you will see SW x-x/xx. If it says 3-1/63, 3-2/63, or 4-1/20, you have version v22.1, which is the most up-to-date.

I'm curious if the issue with Sirus compatibility on Navs is related to the software version on the Nav - or if its something different about the actual hardware that allows a nav after 8/03 to have Sirius and a Nav earlier in 2003 to now be compatible. Anyone know?

Fingaz
03-21-2004, 10:11 PM
That's awesome! I have a 2003 (9/02) 330cic and I would love to get this. Do you think it would work with my NAV? I have the new one with the in-dash CD, ver 22.10. Where did you order the parts from? TIA.

intex98
03-22-2004, 05:32 PM
That's awesome. Did you have to put the satellite receiver on the roof or are you able to put it in the back fin with the GPS receiver?

Terry Kennedy
03-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Contrary to what BMWNA press stated, the OEM Sirius Kit works with MY03+. Mine is an 08/03 production X5 4.6iS and I just installed the kit today. The press stated that it would only work on 10/03 production or later.The BlitzSafe XM Direct kit says it will work on any car that the Sirius kit works on, so I decided to give it a try. It does not work on my 09/2002 325 wagon w/ NAV. I suspect that I need to replace either the radio module in the trunk or the NAV screen and associated guts. I'll do some poking around in the ETK and see what I come up with. You wouldn't happen to know the part number for your radio tuner (in the trunk), would you?

Edit: Duh, 09/2002, not 09/2003. I keep doing this :mad:

Fingaz
03-24-2004, 08:49 PM
The BlitzSafe XM Direct kit says it will work on any car that the Sirius kit works on, so I decided to give it a try. It does not work on my 09/2003 325 wagon w/ NAV. I suspect that I need to replace either the radio module in the trunk or the NAV screen and associated guts. I'll do some poking around in the ETK and see what I come up with. You wouldn't happen to know the part number for your radio tuner (in the trunk), would you?

Actually, the specs say it will not work with any 3-series that has navigation.
http://www.radiosandmore.com/vehicle_fit.asp?pn=RVR-D-001-BMW100

Terry Kennedy
03-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Actually, the specs say it will not work with any 3-series that has navigation.
http://www.radiosandmore.com/vehicle_fit.asp?pn=RVR-D-001-BMW100Yeah, but it isn't supposed to work on X5's, either :D. The X5 and the 3er share the same radio tuner / NAV display / NAV computer, so if it works on an X5 it should work on a 3er as well, as long as the 3er has the same vintage components or newer...

RealM3
03-30-2004, 05:08 AM
We recently installed Sirius in a M3Cic with Navigation. The client wanted sat radio, and didn't care if it was our install or aftermarket. According to BMW literature the kit was not available. So we trashed that document and proceeded to attempt the install.

We found that all the wiring was in place and it was a relatively simple job to connect everything together. The technician tested the system and everything was OK.

It appears that the reason BMW NA states no kit is available is due to the space limitation in the trunk for the Sirius box. We had to construct a new side panel in the truck to accommodate the Sirius box. This could be accomplished by anyone who can use a few tools and a bit of imagination.

You could probably find another location to mount the box if you extended the wiring harness. A quick trip to Radio Shack should help with that.

Cheers,

Steve
Client Advisor
United BMW of Roswell
smaguire@unitedauto.com

Fingaz
03-30-2004, 08:07 AM
We recently installed Sirius in a M3Cic with Navigation. The client wanted sat radio, and didn't care if it was our install or aftermarket. According to BMW literature the kit was not available. So we trashed that document and proceeded to attempt the install.

We found that all the wiring was in place and it was a relatively simple job to connect everything together. The technician tested the system and everything was OK.

Great. What year/production date was the car?

RealM3
03-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Great. What year/production date was the car?
The M3Cic was delivered in February, probably built in December.

Cheers,

Steve
Client Advisor
United BMW
smaguire@unitedauto.com

Terry Kennedy
03-30-2004, 04:50 PM
The BlitzSafe XM Direct kit says it will work on any car that the Sirius kit works on, so I decided to give it a try. It does not work on my 09/2002 325 wagon w/ NAV. I suspect that I need to replace either the radio module in the trunk or the NAV screen and associated guts. I'll do some poking around in the ETK and see what I come up with. You wouldn't happen to know the part number for your radio tuner (in the trunk), would you?I've arranged to borrow the latest part number tuner, to see if that makes it work in my car. It is either that or the NAV computer - those are the only components which have had revisions between my car's build date and now, and there have been reports of Sirius working in recent builds w/ NAV.

Terry Kennedy
04-01-2004, 05:20 PM
I've arranged to borrow the latest part number tuner, to see if that makes it work in my car. It is either that or the NAV computer - those are the only components which have had revisions between my car's build date and now, and there have been reports of Sirius working in recent builds w/ NAV.Ok, I give up. I borrowed a 65 12 6 927 911 tuner (mid-March 2004 tuner build date) to replace my September 2002 build date ... 922 513 tuner, and it doesn't make any difference. No Sirius option on the head unit.

I spent a couple hours in the DIS computer looking at wiring diagrams, and I couldn't find anything useful - not that the DIS is the most useful way to present diagrams in the first place...

I expect that I'm trying to mix too many variables (XM Direct vs. BMW Sirius kit, NAV, old production, and so forth). So, unless anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'm going to give up.

Terry Kennedy
04-03-2004, 08:29 PM
I expect that I'm trying to mix too many variables (XM Direct vs. BMW Sirius kit, NAV, old production, and so forth). So, unless anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'm going to give up.Well, I tried it today with the latest radio tuner (again) plus the latest NAV computer, and still no Sirius option on the display. This means it is one of 3 things:

1) There is some wiring difference between my 09/2002 production and current production that keeps this from working (hard to believe, as this uses only the CD changer pre-wire wiring).

2) One or more of my "unusual" options (CPT8000 cell phone, TV module) interferes with operation.

3) Maybe Sirius works and XM Direct doesn't (if the BMW Sirius kit uses a different protocol for cars with NAV, XM Direct might not be emulating it). I'm going to try my XM Direct kit in a recent-production car with NAV to try to rule this out.

Fingaz
04-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Well, I tried it today with the latest radio tuner (again) plus the latest NAV computer, and still no Sirius option on the display. This means it is one of 3 things:

1) There is some wiring difference between my 09/2002 production and current production that keeps this from working (hard to believe, as this uses only the CD changer pre-wire wiring).

2) One or more of my "unusual" options (CPT8000 cell phone, TV module) interferes with operation.

3) Maybe Sirius works and XM Direct doesn't (if the BMW Sirius kit uses a different protocol for cars with NAV, XM Direct might not be emulating it). I'm going to try my XM Direct kit in a recent-production car with NAV to try to rule this out.

What is the firmware version of your NAV?

I also have a 9/02 prod with NAV. Last week I ordered the OEM Sirius kit for NAV, I will be trying it out this week as soon as I get it. I plan on updating the NAV firware to version 22 first.

Terry Kennedy
04-04-2004, 03:43 PM
What is the firmware version of your NAV?

I also have a 9/02 prod with NAV. Last week I ordered the OEM Sirius kit for NAV, I will be trying it out this week as soon as I get it. I plan on updating the NAV firware to version 22 first.I'm at 4-1/20, from the V22 disc. (V22.1 only has changes for the new 5/6/7 NAVs).

Let me know what you come up with...

Fingaz
04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Let me know what you come up with...

Well, I just tried Sirius in my car, and it didn't work. Nothing happens when I hit the Mode button, so I guess my NAV is just not Sirius friendly. Here are my specs:

2003 330cic (9/02 Prod)
MKIV DVD NAV with in-dash CD player (v22 software)
Sirius Receiver Part # 84 11 0 153 365
Installation Kit Part # 84 11 0 302 904
Extension Cable Part # 84 11 0 150 531

Just thought I would post all this information in case anyone out there was thinking of trying it, figured I would save them the money and the hassle. One interesting thing was that when I was looking for cables, I found a cable in the trunk with a white FAKRA clip on it that fit the antenna plug on the Sirius receiver. If my car isn't Sirius-ready, I wonder what this wire is for?

Terry Kennedy
04-05-2004, 06:56 PM
Well, I just tried Sirius in my car, and it didn't work. Nothing happens when I hit the Mode button, so I guess my NAV is just not Sirius friendly. Here are my specs:

2003 330cic (9/02 Prod)
MKIV DVD NAV with in-dash CD player (v22 software)
Sirius Receiver Part # 84 11 0 153 365
Installation Kit Part # 84 11 0 302 904
Extension Cable Part # 84 11 0 150 531

Just thought I would post all this information in case anyone out there was thinking of trying it, figured I would save them the money and the hassle.That sounds like the same experience I had, though I was using the XM Direct kit. As I mentioned, I tried swapping in the latest radio tuner and NAV computer and didn't have any success. I think the only way we're going to make any progress on this is if we find someone with a 3er with NAV where the Sirius / XM Direct kit does work, and see what their part numbers are and if there are any wiring differences. I reported earlier that there are some tied-back wires near the radio tuner which look like another audio input, though I don't see how that is related to Sirius, as Sirius uses the same audio bus as the CD changer. Again, without a car with working NAV + Sirius, I think we're stuck.
One interesting thing was that when I was looking for cables, I found a cable in the trunk with a white FAKRA clip on it that fit the antenna plug on the Sirius receiver. If my car isn't Sirius-ready, I wonder what this wire is for?Cell phone? BMW Assist?

Fingaz
04-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Cell phone? BMW Assist?

No, no other options. No Cell, no Assist, no Bluetooth, no CD changer. I was also trying this with the Terk Sir3 antenna and splitter. Still wish I knew what that other cable in the trunk was for.

Terry Kennedy
04-05-2004, 07:07 PM
No, no other options. No Cell, no Assist, no Bluetooth, no CD changer. I was also trying this with the Terk Sir3 antenna and splitter. Still wish I knew what that other cable in the trunk was for.All USA BMWs have option 640, telephone prep, whether or not they have the phone installed.

Fingaz
04-05-2004, 07:08 PM
That sounds like the same experience I had, though I was using the XM Direct kit. As I mentioned, I tried swapping in the latest radio tuner and NAV computer and didn't have any success.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the latest tuner and NAV computer? I'm really surprised that didn't work, I can't imagine there are any wiring differences between my car and a 2004. I really wish BMW could let us know what we needed to do to get this work.

Fingaz
04-05-2004, 07:09 PM
All USA BMWs have option 640, telephone prep, whether or not they have the phone installed.

Yes, I have the telephone prep, but not the phone.

Terry Kennedy
04-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Just out of curiosity, where did you get the latest tuner and NAV computer? I'm really surprised that didn't work, I can't imagine there are any wiring differences between my car and a 2004. I really wish BMW could let us know what we needed to do to get this work.I borrowed the tuner from a dealer and the NAV computer from a fellow 'fester (a true enthusiast's enthusiast, BTW).

I also spent a couple hours on the DIS tester looking for differences in the wiring diagram, and there weren't any (but stuff like this often doesn't make it to the DIS diagrams).

Fingaz
04-05-2004, 07:49 PM
I borrowed the tuner from a dealer and the NAV computer from a fellow 'fester (a true enthusiast's enthusiast, BTW).

I also spent a couple hours on the DIS tester looking for differences in the wiring diagram, and there weren't any (but stuff like this often doesn't make it to the DIS diagrams).

If it did work, would you have purchased the tuner or computer from them? Did they give you a price or tell you they would do a swap? Where in NY do you live? Do you want to try out my Sirius receiver with that equipment before I send it back? Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to find a way to get this working.

Terry Kennedy
04-05-2004, 07:53 PM
If it did work, would you have purchased the tuner or computer from them?Unknown. It would have depended on which (if either) was needed, and whether a firmware update to the tuner would have helped.
Did they give you a price or tell you they would do a swap?The tuner listed for $435, I didn't check the discounted price. The best price for the newer MK IV computer was $1380 from Pacific BMW, I think.
Where in NY do you live?Various locations - Manhattan; Queens.
Do you want to try out my Sirius receiver with that equipment before I send it back?The tuner went back this morning; the NAV computer I tried at the other 'fester's house.
Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to find a way to get this working.No problem - me too...

Terry Kennedy
04-11-2004, 05:41 PM
That sounds like the same experience I had, though I was using the XM Direct kit. As I mentioned, I tried swapping in the latest radio tuner and NAV computer and didn't have any success. I think the only way we're going to make any progress on this is if we find someone with a 3er with NAV where the Sirius / XM Direct kit does work, and see what their part numbers are and if there are any wiring differences. I reported earlier that there are some tied-back wires near the radio tuner which look like another audio input, though I don't see how that is related to Sirius, as Sirius uses the same audio bus as the CD changer. Again, without a car with working NAV + Sirius, I think we're stuck.I talked to both the Sirius and XM folks at the NY Auto Show on Saturday. The Sirius guys went "go talk to BMW about it - we can't help", while the XM rep was quite helpful. He's going to put me in touch with the top people at BlitzSafe and see if we can't get XM Direct working on 2003 and 2004 cars w/ NAV.

Fingaz
04-11-2004, 11:25 PM
I talked to both the Sirius and XM folks at the NY Auto Show on Saturday. The Sirius guys went "go talk to BMW about it - we can't help", while the XM rep was quite helpful. He's going to put me in touch with the top people at BlitzSafe and see if we can't get XM Direct working on 2003 and 2004 cars w/ NAV.

Sounds good, keep me posted.

gfeiner
04-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Here is a thread from the Blitzsafe forums. A blitzsafe employee says they are working on a new XM adapter for cars with NAV and that it should be out in a month or two.

http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=266&PagePosition=1