PDA

View Full Version : X3: Manual or Steptronic

ultramet
03-07-2004, 06:05 PM
I am seriously thinking about trading in my '01 325XI for an X3 2.5. I am scheduled to test drive the X3 this weekend. Despite living in NYC, I have driven manual cars for the last 25 years and I really, really prefer them. I passed on the Steptronic when I got my 325XI and have no regrets, however, this steptronic transmission in the X3 seems really tempting. Then again a 6 speed manual is also quite enticing as well. Given my preference for manual, would there be an advantage to getting the steptronic automatic?Is shifting in a steptronic pretty similar in feel to a manual? Has anyone test driven both transmissions in an X3. Does the car perform better or ride any differently with manual. Does the manual transmission perform well in a vehicle weighing 4000 lbs??

Any information would be greatly appreciated since, as you can see, I am really having trouble making a decision on the transmission.

Thanks.

quattro29
03-08-2004, 05:56 AM
I am seriously thinking about trading in my '01 325XI for an X3 2.5. I am scheduled to test drive the X3 this weekend. Despite living in NYC, I have driven manual cars for the last 25 years and I really, really prefer them. I passed on the Steptronic when I got my 325XI and have no regrets, however, this steptronic transmission in the X3 seems really tempting. Then again a 6 speed manual is also quite enticing as well. Given my preference for manual, would there be an advantage to getting the steptronic automatic?Is shifting in a steptronic pretty similar in feel to a manual? Has anyone test driven both transmissions in an X3. Does the car perform better or ride any differently with manual. Does the manual transmission perform well in a vehicle weighing 4000 lbs??

Any information would be greatly appreciated since, as you can see, I am really having trouble making a decision on the transmission.

Thanks.

I'd say drive both and see which you like better. I drove both and ordered the step, primarily for two reasons: 1) the X3 will be my "work" car and I often get stuck in traffic on long drives to see clients and 2) I have a manual Z4 that is my "fun" car. The X3 manual was definitely quicker and probably a little more fun, but not Z4 quick/fun. At the end of the day, for me the slightly better peformance wasn't worth the daily hassles.

These were both 3.0s. You may notice a bigger difference with 2.5s.