PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed in Joining the "Club"

quackbury
06-02-2011, 07:46 AM
We are replacing my wife's 2008 X5 soon, and I spent most of yesterday test driving. Much to my surprise, I GREATLY preferred the F07 to the F10. I have a bunch of questions about the GT; unfortunately, my Center sells so few of them my CA couldn't give me the answers. Any guidance you could provide would be most appreciated:

535i vs. 535i xDrive: Did those of you who compared / test drove both notice a significant difference? My Center only orders xDrives, so I can't compare them directly. Normally, I prefer the dynamics of RWD (I always mount 4 wheel snows in the winter). But on the F10 board, there's lots of discussion on how the xDrives come with hydraulic steering which feels better than the electric steering on the RWD's. (I drove both yesterday and could not feel one iota of difference - in every F10 I drove, the steering flat out sucked). Is there a different steering system for the F07 RWD vs. xDrive? Is there a palpable difference in feel?.
Interior: I was pleasantly surprised to see the F10 has a headliner that closely matches the seat color; I love the Oyster on my X5 35D, and would be interested in the Ivory / black on the F07, but of course the dealer doesn't have any to look at. Ditto the Cinnamon. For those of you with either color, what color is your headliner, and how closely does it match the interior. Any regrets on the color choice?
Exterior: I like "different" colors. Anyone seen Neptune? Is it a home run? Or an epic fail?
Options & Packages: Is there anything that is a "must have?" I am thinking Sport, Dynamic handling, cold weather, and Nav. Also, is there any way to get the self-dimming mirrors and the garage door opener without ordering the full convenience package?
Sound system: My wife will be the primary driver, and she has tin ears. Is the F07's standard sound system adequate? Or do you need to upgrade to premium sound? (I frankly find the CD changer to be an anachronism).
Any interesting Priority One options that are not on the BMWUSA configurator? Exterior / interior colors, Individual trim, etc.? (I think the GT would look stunning in Sterling over black).
Dislikes: Anything really quirky to avoid? If you had it to do over again, what would you change?

Thanks in advance!

innerloop
06-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Exterior: I like "different" colors. Anyone seen Neptune? Is it a home run? Or an epic fail?

I also like non-mainstream colors. I went for Deep Sea Blue because they had another (non-GT) on the lot with that color in sunlight, and it looked good. I notice on their website flash into, Neptune Blue seems to be the first color they show the car in, so I guess BMW marketing feels it shows off the car well, at least. Have not seen either of these colors "in the flesh" on a GT however.

Options & Packages: Is there anything that is a "must have?" I am thinking Sport, Dynamic handling, cold weather, and Nav. Also, is there any way to get the self-dimming mirrors and the garage door opener without ordering the full convenience package?

Since the Convenience package also gives you a power rear gate lift, it seems like worthwhile. All the stuff it includes is stuff I would miss if it wasn't there. And I believe they made the Convenience package a pre-req for lots of other stuff, so its practically a forced option.

My options are quite similar to your list above, but I did add the Camera package after seeing it in action. The GT is a lot bigger than my current E93, and the technology seemed pretty slick, so I figured it might save me an equal amount in bodywork down the line...

Still debating HUD, just for the techo-geek factor.

Sound system: My wife will be the primary driver, and she has tin ears. Is the F07's standard sound system adequate? Or do you need to upgrade to premium sound? (I frankly find the CD changer to be an anachronism).

I don't think ANY audio option still has a CD-changer, does it? I have the upgraded stereo on my E93 now, but I never used any of the HD-storage options and usually listen to Satellite Radio content, which is hardly audiophile. If there was some way to save $$ on the stereo BUT still keep iPOD connectivity and Satellite Radio, I'd do it. Although I have grown to sort of like "HD Radio" from time-to-time. I'm just nervous about losing the good iPod/Sat functionality, and their various audio/ipod/iphone options are so convoluted, I am paying the extra "just in case" rather than research it thoroughly.

Any interesting Priority One options that are not on the BMWUSA configurator? Exterior / interior colors, Individual trim, etc.? (I think the GT would look stunning in Sterling over black).

Interesting, I was not aware of this, how do you find out more about these, just from the dealer? I am ordering the car for ED delivery, so no reason not to take advantage of ways to make it more unique, if they exist! Tell me more!

quackbury
06-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Innerloop:

Thanks for the quick response. Rather than copy your entire message, I'll respond to parts of it.

I love DSB. I ordered it sight unseen for my 2011 X5D and it is magnificent. But can't see having 2 DSB cars in the garage.

Regarding cameras: You can order the rear camera separately from the entire package. I have the birds-eye view on the X5, and find we never ever use it.

I will probably wind up with the Convenience package, but think the soft close doors are silly. I'd prefer to just order Comfort Access, the mirrors and the UGDO separately if BMW would let me. As to the power liftgate, we've had 3 E70 X5's, two with the power liftgate, 1 without. We know from experience we can live without it. YMMV.

According to the online configurator, the Premium Sound comes with the 6 CD changer. And yes, you can still get iPod as a stand-alone option.

Regarding the Priority One options: Bimmerfest used to publish the Confidential Ordering Guides that showed these. E.g. on the E60 you could get Neptune Blue and a lovely navy blue leather interior which did not show up anywhere on the configurator. ("Priority One" means dealers can only get it for customer orders, they cannot order vehicles for their inventory configured this way). It's a neat way to make your BMW even more special (as if the GT wasn't "special" enough).

11gt535
06-02-2011, 11:11 AM
For those of you with either color, what color is your headliner, and how closely does it match the interior. [...] Anyone seen Neptune? Is it a home run? Or an epic fail? [...] Options & Packages: Is there anything that is a "must have?" [...] Is the F07's standard sound system adequate? Or do you need to upgrade to premium sound?

I have a Neptune Blue 535i GT with Ivory/Black interior. I ordered it without having ever seen Neptune in real life, and I've yet to see another Neptune BMW in real life including at the Welt. I think it's an outstanding combination and I've gotten compliments from strangers. All of my BMW's have been various shades of blue with light interiors. With the black carpet/trunk it's really the best of both.

My other cars I ordered Sport & Upgraded audio. I didn't get the upgraded audio... the standard is pretty good and you still have the music collection storage and aux connection. The speakers are great across a wide volume range. If you really want to upgrade, I'd do it aftermarket rather than spend a fortune for a factory system that you'd still want to upgrade if you are that much of an audiophile. I did order Sport, but just keep in mind it's only upgraded tires and seating.... my wife wanted the seats so that pushed me over the edge to get it. I wouldn't call it a must have (although with DHP you'll be forced into it).

The package that's been surprisingly useful is the camera package. At least the rear camera is a must with the size of the car, and the full camera package can get you safely into the tightest parking spots anywhere (including Europe).

quackbury
06-02-2011, 11:40 AM
11GT535:

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I'd love to see pics of your Neptune Blue if you have them. You saved me $$$ on the Premium Sound, for which I'm grateful. As for the Sport, I find the Shadowline trim really looks great with some colors, and I'm guessing Neptune would be one of them. And the Sport steering wheel is a lot more satisfying than the skinny-azz one in the non-sport.

BTW How well does your headliner match your seats? I wish I could get Anthracite headliner, like on my X5 and previous 540 and 550; but maybe that wuoud make the interior feel too cave-like?

mason
06-02-2011, 01:47 PM
I felt the sports and dynamic handling packges don't do much for me. The cool part is that I can adjust the chassis and throttle response with the handling packages. Cameras are must have.

Capobranco
06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
We are replacing my wife's 2008 X5 soon, and I spent most of yesterday test driving. Much to my surprise, I GREATLY preferred the F07 to the F10. I have a bunch of questions about the GT; unfortunately, my Center sells so few of them my CA couldn't give me the answers. Any guidance you could provide would be most appreciated:
535i vs. 535i xDrive: Did those of you who compared / test drove both notice a significant difference? My Center only orders xDrives, so I can't compare them directly. Normally, I prefer the dynamics of RWD (I always mount 4 wheel snows in the winter). But on the F10 board, there's lots of discussion on how the xDrives come with hydraulic steering which feels better than the electric steering on the RWD's. (I drove both yesterday and could not feel one iota of difference - in every F10 I drove, the steering flat out sucked). Is there a different steering system for the F07 RWD vs. xDrive? Is there a palpable difference in feel?

The beauty of the F/07 is the flexibility of the platform ***8211; you can outfit the GT as a comfortable luxury car or an engaging GT ***8211; true to its name. I took BMW at its word and equipped mine as a luxury performance car that offered utility and panache. I find the twin turbo V8 to be intoxicating ***8211; indeed it was a significant mitigating factor when I was cross shopping a Panamera. All my comments are offered from the 550i GT vantage point. My experience with the 535i is more limited but I have only heard positive feedback from GT owners on this board.

I have rear wheel drive with standard hydraulic steering - coupled with 20***8221; wheels and dynamic handling ***8211; the steering is responsive, and offers wonderful feel ***8211; everything you would expect from a BMW. I find the GT can be a very engaging ride ***8211; dynamically equal to a 550i ***8211; especially surprising given its weight and size. I had active steering in my 335iC and I always felt that the steering was artificial. I was never comfortable pushing the car - the limits were always a mystery. In the GT I made the conscious choice to sacrifice low speed maneuverability for increased feel at speed. I find my GT has a reasonable turning radius so I just do not see the downside being ***8220;old school***8221; about opting out of active steering.

Interior: I was pleasantly surprised to see the F10 has a headliner that closely matches the seat color; I love the Oyster on my X5 35D, and would be interested in the Ivory / black on the F07, but of course the dealer doesn't have any to look at. Ditto the Cinnamon. For those of you with either color, what color is your headliner, and how closely does it match the interior. Any regrets on the color choice?

My GT is Sapphire Black with Oyster/Black Napa with ash grain wood ***8211; I find it stunning and I receive frequent compliments. My headliner is a very close match to the Oyster Napa ***8211; which imparts a very seamless sleek custom look to the interior.

No bad colors but I personally do not care for Orion Silver/Milano Beige -

For a more sporting GT experience, I would seriously consider the following;
- Larger wheels -for both aesthetic and dynamic reasons
- Sport Pack - great 7 Series seats + Black Trim that looks very right and communicates the sporting nature of the GT
- Dynamic handing - a must - use it daily - a really useful feature that allows you to fine tune your ride to your mood and road conditions.
- Cold weather - great heated seats - I also have rear heated seats and they usually are the first to go when friends travel with me.
- Nav - standard in the 550i - I use daily - vastly improved over my 07 335iC.
- Nappa- not a lot of money but interior will feel and look very 7 Series
- Four zone AC - it's a big BMW

I listen to Sat. radio about 99% of the time and have the standard system which I find adequate - passengers frequently offer favorable comments about the quality of the sound - I love nice sound systems and have been known to pump it - the standard system is surprisingly distortion free but for app. $1400 I wished I had the nicer system. A little bit of money for a nice upgrade.

Sterling with black Nappa would be great and feels very BMW-like. Somewhat unconventional but I think sterling with cinnamon nappa could also be striking. The contrast between the leather, wood, and trim serves to emphasize the very organic dynamic feel of the interior space.

Dislikes: Anything really quirky to avoid? If you had it to do over again, what would you change?[/LIST]

I have owned many nice cars and I find the GT to be not only a very nice car but a very nice BMW GT. It offers a unique blend of performance, luxury, and utility. The car has a serious robust road presence and I receive frequent compliments. There really are no substitutes - I have often said the GT is Sui Generis - offering the utility of my former 5 series Touring with the performance of my 911 Turbo. The GT is ahead of the market.

11gt535
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM
BTW How well does your headliner match your seats? I wish I could get Anthracite headliner, like on my X5 and previous 540 and 550; but maybe that wuoud make the interior feel too cave-like?

One is fabric and the other is leather so they react to lighting a little differently. For me they are identical color and tone.

Here's my car at the Welt.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/11gt535/BMWWeltinMunich-Poseidonontheturntable.jpg

quackbury
06-02-2011, 03:50 PM
AAAAAAHHHHH. After seeing that photo, I have a strange urge to smoke a cigarette. Thanks for sharing.

car-fan
06-02-2011, 05:59 PM

535i vs. 535i xDrive: Did those of you who compared / test drove both notice a significant difference? My Center only orders xDrives, so I can't compare them directly. Normally, I prefer the dynamics of RWD (I always mount 4 wheel snows in the winter). But on the F10 board, there's lots of discussion on how the xDrives come with hydraulic steering which feels better than the electric steering on the RWD's. (I drove both yesterday and could not feel one iota of difference - in every F10 I drove, the steering flat out sucked). Is there a different steering system for the F07 RWD vs. xDrive? Is there a palpable difference in feel?.
Dislikes: Anything really quirky to avoid? If you had it to do over again, what would you change?

Thanks in advance!

It would be real nice for you to join us fellow GT'ers ;)

I can't give you a comparison re: 535i GT vs. 535 GT xDrive. I have however driven a 535GT and felt it acquits itself very well.

I personally would recommend the sport pack with DHP its a worthwhile addition that I think you will appreciate. You drive an M so when you drive the GT it can only be a bonus if you have the added benefit of the enhanced handling. From what I have seen all models have the vario assist servotronic steering. With integral active steering being an option.

I have the upgraded sound sound system and i am very pleased. I however, am not aware of a six disc changer option, as you can rip CD's to the car's hard drive. The sound system sounds excellent when playing DVD movies as well.

I have cinnamon brown, however, my headliner is Oyster, I would have preferred black but was not available through normal channels when I ordered my car. I'm cool with the Oyster however. To the interior I also added ceramic controls which imparts a nice finish to the buttons on the center stack, iDrive controller, gear shift lever, and rear climate controls (Rear climate is strongly recommended)

As I have a 16 month old I find the rear entertainment system to be extremely useful as well. Truth be told I find reasons to let my lady drive while I sit in the back to watch movies with him as well. When playing DVD movies the sound separation of the upgraded audio makes you feel like you are in a theater! You would really have to hear it to believe it.

Camera package is highly recommended although the standard front/rear sonar sensors work well also. Living in Florida I didn't feel I needed rear heated seats, although I do have them in the front.

I'll list a few other worthwhile options Convenience Pack, Drivers Assistance Pack, and HUD.

Although I also have night vision its somewhat of a novelty in the city. But on long stretches of dark highway its worthwhile.

BTW: My car is Dark Graphite which I love....well thats my two cents :thumbup: