PDA

View Full Version : 10 most disappointing cars of 2011.

bayoucity
06-03-2011, 07:37 AM
There is an article out there by Forbes which question what auto manufacturers were thinking when they introduce certain models.

The introduction goes like this: " News item: BMW'S top U.S. sales executive says he is disappointed in the 5-series GT, Automotive News reports. "The disappointment I have is that I thought a lot of our 5-series station wagon customers would go with the GT," Jim O'Donnell says. "In point of fact, that is not happening. We have lost those customers to the competition -- mainly to Mercedes-Benz.

With its ungainly lift back and high load floor, the 5-series GT produced a lot of comments along the lines of "What were they thinking?" when it was introduced two years ago, but now it is official: Even BMW makes mistakes."

Unfortunately, BMW was mentioned again for their x6: " The X6 is marketed as a "sports activity coupe" that combines the attributes of an SUV (high ground clearance, all wheel drive large wheels and tires) with the stance of a coupé (bold styling, dramatic sloping roof). BMW sales are hot, but buyers are apparently confused by the concept, put off by the chunky styling, or deterred by the high price -- close to $100,000 for the turbocharged M version. So far this year, BMW has sold just 1,559 of them versus more than 10,000 of the more conventional X5. "

What do you all think? I for one agree with author's Hall of Famers choice: Edsel/Aztek.

Link >

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/autos/1105/gallery.most_disappointing_cars.fortune/index.html

p/s I post the article in x6 forum as well. I'm interested to hear what both camps have to say about this article.

car-fan
06-03-2011, 08:28 AM
There is an article out there by Forbes which question what auto manufacturers were thinking when they introduce certain models.

The introduction goes like this: " News item: BMW'S top U.S. sales executive says he is disappointed in the 5-series GT, Automotive News reports. "The disappointment I have is that I thought a lot of our 5-series station wagon customers would go with the GT," Jim O'Donnell says. "In point of fact, that is not happening. We have lost those customers to the competition -- mainly to Mercedes-Benz.

With its ungainly lift back and high load floor, the 5-series GT produced a lot of comments along the lines of "What were they thinking?" when it was introduced two years ago, but now it is official: Even BMW makes mistakes."

Unfortunately, BMW was mentioned again for their x6: " The X6 is marketed as a "sports activity coupe" that combines the attributes of an SUV (high ground clearance, all wheel drive large wheels and tires) with the stance of a coupé (bold styling, dramatic sloping roof). BMW sales are hot, but buyers are apparently confused by the concept, put off by the chunky styling, or deterred by the high price -- close to $100,000 for the turbocharged M version. So far this year, BMW has sold just 1,559 of them versus more than 10,000 of the more conventional X5. "

What do you all think? I for one agree with author's Hall of Famers choice: Edsel/Aztek.

Link >

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/autos/1105/gallery.most_disappointing_cars.fortune/index.html

p/s I post the article in x6 forum as well. I'm interested to hear what both camps have to say about this article.

Its an interesting article - I would say. It doesn't bother me one bit because my decision to buy a GT was "not" driven by a panel or some type of public consensus. You know what they say about opinions...? I can't speak to the success or lack there of for the other models featured in the article- but at least the GT has met or exceeded its overall sales quota - cumulative on an international scale. I suspect X6 owners, like we GT'ers, could care less about this article, especially since this "Money" magazine editor doesn't realize the "value" that the GT represents against the competition and its stablemates. I digress because thats another conversation. But you have to admit it is ironic.:rolleyes:

In addition to a few other models - above all I find it interesting that the Tundra made the article because it is not a bad truck at all.

I think the NA martket is kind of fickle - probably the reason our auto market ended up tanking in recent years, and automakers like Hyundai have gone damn near to the top of this list. The only problem I have against Hyundai is not going with my intuition to invest in that company years ago.:mad: I knew they would keep at it.:tsk:

innerloop
06-03-2011, 10:50 AM
One of the things I like most about BMW is that they behave in ways that seem really independent of what other manufacutrers do. They are sort of like the scrappy underdogs. They are a much smaller operation overall compared to Audi/VW and Mercedes, and I like that they do things differently.

For example:

* Bringing over a lot more manual transmissions despite their limited appear here in the US (Shame on you, MB!)
* Sticking with their free maintenance programs when everyone else trimmed them to cut costs
* Having a robust European Delivery program when many others have made theirs more limited
* Shipping over a lot more Euro-centric models to our shores despite the limited returns (Hatchbacks, the 5GT, etc.)
* Letting people option their cars exactly as they want, instead of lumping everything togehter into broad "trim lines" (I'm looking at you, Audi!)
* Giving us some decent deisel alternatives here in the US

I think the X6 can be considered a much more signfiicant "flop" than the GT. The GT sells great in Europe, and eventually (if they allow it to) will build a following here as well.

With the X6, I can't think of what regional market it IS selling in?

Their only tactical error in giving us the 5GT was (like many of their other missteps) thinking that we are as savvy and European car buyers. Shame on US.

dunderhi
06-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I think the X6 can be considered a much more signfiicant "flop" than the GT. The GT sells great in Europe, and eventually (if they allow it to) will build a following here as well.

With the X6, I can't think of what regional market it IS selling in?

As per BMW's annual report, the 2010 global sales of the 5 GT, X5, and X6 were 26,486, 102,178, and 46,404 respectively. The X6 must be popular somewhere. :dunno:

Capobranco
06-03-2011, 02:50 PM
The author has only cursorily done his homework.

Regarding the 5 GT - the article is guided by superficial opinion to create a contrived provocative headline and forgoes more substantive discussion. Unfortunately, it reinforces prejudices, and by doing so, makes the task of marketing the 5 GT that much more daunting. The GT is a unique niche product with no direct competitors. BMWNA has neither defined adequately the GT concept to dealers nor to consumers.

If you are interested, we have discussed Jim O’Donnell’s commentary
at some length within at least two recent threads –

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543436

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544443

car-fan
06-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Also with regards to the X6, now that a "3 place" bench seat option is available - sales will likely increase. Personally, I like the X6 but the interior is obviously dated in comparison to the F Series cars. Like the GT, some may not understand the X6, but it is a beast within it's own right from handling and in the case of the 5.0 - quick acceleration with a badass exhaust note:thumbup:

MBrown1003
06-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I really like the 5 GT. Had they offered it with a proper transmission (the kind that requires a clutch pedal), I would have seriously considered it instead of the 550i sedan I have on order.

virginiavalley
06-07-2011, 05:50 PM
In Europe, the estate wagon is considered one of the sexiest cars on the road. Anyone who has driven a 5 wagon with all wheel drive will know the fun of it. With the sport package, it is really a sports car hidden under the clothing of a wagon.

My only complaint is with the comfort system and fuel injection issues, my 2008 will not stay in the garage after the warranty. I am sitting in Chattanooga in a hotel while 5 out of 6 injectors are replaced. 3 were replaced 2 months ago. Cannot have a car that is not somewhat dependable.

Now I am going to forced to go back to a MB wagon (had two already but not even in the same league as my 535 xi).