PDA

View Full Version : fixing scratches, an idea

titan7
06-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Perhaps I am missing something, but could a fix for small scratches and chips be resolved by dropping touch up paint in the chip/scratch, then colorsand, and buff out? It may not be perfect like repainting the panel but I would think it would work? I have always wondered why I never saw anything written about this?

dboy11
06-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Perhaps I am missing something, but could a fix for small scratches and chips be resolved by dropping touch up paint in the chip/scratch, then colorsand, and buff out? It may not be perfect like repainting the panel but I would think it would work? I have always wondered why I never saw anything written about this?

With the chip yes with a scratch its much harder unless its on the top part of the car, hood, trunk or roof. On the side of the car its difficult to get the paint to stay in place.

What you want is to add paint slowly to the area, letting it dry and adding more until you get the paint above the level of the cars paint. If you have a heat lamp or halogen lights these help greatly. Then I use 3000 grit sandpaper and very carefully sand just the top of the area. Then come back with a good polish to remove the sand marks. On chips I can get it to where its hardly noticeable, on scratches again these are much harder and a lot of times don't really look that good to me

Ilovemycar
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
dboy11, I am doing my first pro job this weekend (and just landed my 2nd one for next weekend). Biz starts with friends of course. Well this weekend I am going to tackle three large key scratches, no one is expecting perfection, just mitigation.

Because of how deep one of them is, it would take a week of touch up to get it to paint level. So I'm going to try the bondo method like in this Lexus pictorial.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/134848-ts|s-detailing-lexus-sc-430-chip-scratch-repair.html

Wanted to share the above, but I do have a drying technique Q. Is a blow dryer ok to help speed the process? Probably not, because it'll blow the paint off? Just set it on low, but not advisable, because no one has that much patience? . . ."watch the paint dry . . . "

I just went to three different hardware stores this week, in search of the finest sandpaper. I only landed 1.5k and 2k, but 3k was nowhere to be found.

Is it true I let the paper soak for a whole 15 minutes before use?

Thank you!

dboy11
06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
dboy11, I am doing my first pro job this weekend (and just landed my 2nd one for next weekend). Biz starts with friends of course. Well this weekend I am going to tackle three large key scratches, no one is expecting perfection, just mitigation.

Because of how deep one of them is, it would take a week of touch up to get it to paint level. So I'm going to try the bondo method like in this Lexus pictorial.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/134848-ts|s-detailing-lexus-sc-430-chip-scratch-repair.html

Wanted to share the above, but I do have a drying technique Q. Is a blow dryer ok to help speed the process? Probably not, because it'll blow the paint off? Just set it on low, but not advisable, because no one has that much patience? . . ."watch the paint dry . . . "

I just went to three different hardware stores this week, in search of the finest sandpaper. I only landed 1.5k and 2k, but 3k was nowhere to be found.

Is it true I let the paper soak for a whole 15 minutes before use?

Thank you!

Congrats on the new jobs.

I don't wet the sand paper but do wet the surface of the car while I sand in some cases. I"m surprised that you can't find 3000 grit paper. Home Depot, Lowes Orchard Supply should have it.

Ilovemycar
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks, and thanks! I went to HD first, finest was 600. Upon asking paint dept, they told me to try Ace, got there, highest in stock was 1.5k (they did normally* carry 2k, but can't recall if there was an empty slot for 3k). So I asked them too, and they sent me to True Value, where I finally landed some 2k.

I will try Lowes next then! I am hoping 2k should be good enough for now. I have a wide variety of pads, and both the Flex and PC to boot. I'm still not touching a rotary for a while yet.

dboy11
06-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks, and thanks! I went to HD first, finest was 600. Upon asking paint dept, they told me to try Ace, got there, highest in stock was 1.5k (they did normally* carry 2k, but can't recall if there was an empty slot for 3k). So I asked them too, and they sent me to True Value, where I finally landed some 2k.

I will try Lowes next then! I am hoping 2k should be good enough for now. I have a wide variety of pads, and both the Flex and PC to boot. I'm still not touching a rotary for a while yet.

Do you have any automotive suppliers in your area...like paint stores? They should have what you are looking for

Ilovemycar
06-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Good suggestion dboy11. You jogged my memory that I have a friend who manages supply warehouses for 3M. I've gots to go bug him sometime. :D

dboy11
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
good suggestion dboy11. You jogged my memory that i have a friend who manages supply warehouses for 3m. I've gots to go bug him sometime. :d

:d:d:d

titan7
06-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I was thinking this might be the fix for my wife's 135i vert, she took delivery and I found a hairline scratch on the passenge rocker panel below the door. It's really low and can't been seen unless you bend way over or get on your knees. We brought it to their attention an hour after deliverly, we are waiting on the answer. If they don't repaint the rocker, I need to find a shop that can do this. It's a 2" long horizonal hairline scratch in the montego blue, it hit the white primer. I am not sure I would want to attempt this.

Ilovemycar
06-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I agree titan7, if it's their fault, get them to fix it.

For the future, for DIY stuff, I bought the 3M chip/scratch kit because one guy here bought that as well as the Langka and maybe it was the Dr Colorchip, and liked 3m best. There is a lot of online literature about using the Langka system, check it out.

The 3m deal, to me it's sort of an easier intro into chip repair. You'll realize afterward that all you really needed however was the touch up paint, sand paper, and the proper compound/polish pad(s) on whatever tool you have. (Ok the 3M does come with the Trizact pad or whatever it's called). The 3M kit does come with a small orange pad on a shaft meant for putting on a drill (which then becomes a rotary). The 3M kit for headlights comes with the same orange pad for the drill as well, and I think the Trizact too.

Todd@properautocare.com
06-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I would recommend letting the paint dry as much as possible/out gas as much as possible. If you put the coats on too thick then take forever to fully dry and you will pull the paint out of the scratch when polishing it.