PDA

View Full Version : Pleae Help ? Regarding Waxing

wigsplitta
06-08-2011, 08:01 PM
So i just got my car waxed(carnuba) for the first time since i purchased it 07 335i. My question is i wash my car every week, By washing my car that often how long will the wax job last. Also is there something i can put on after i wash the car to protect the wax job.THX

beemz123
06-08-2011, 08:07 PM
If I understand waxes right, it all depends on how clean the car is before you apply the wax. Have you clayed it or applied any polish? I did that about two and a half months ago and mine is still great. Just yesterday I bought some Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax that I will start applying after washing. Mine turned out great after washing today. What wax did you use?

wigsplitta
06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
i got it hand waxed at a detail shop with carnuba. Is the spray wax used to bring back the wax shine

beemz123
06-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah it can be used for that. It made mine "pop" after using. Just make sure its been about 12 hours before you spray it on after waxing. The wax has to cure.

jfs356
06-09-2011, 05:23 AM
The best way to know when the wax is gone, is when the water stops beading on the surface. If you wash every week, use a quick detailer (Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer is my favorite) to extend the wax life. This way you should only need to wax maybe three/four times per year (weather/garage are determinants here).

TOGWT
06-10-2011, 04:16 AM
A Carnauba wax contains a limited amount of polymer, this is used to both increase shine and help to form a molecular bond with the urethane paint. So it is important to provide as ***8216;clean***8217; a surface as possible, this can be accomplished by washing the surface and using detailer***8217;s clay to remove surface contaminants and/or using a chemical paint cleaner. This will ensure its durability, which can be augmented by occasionally using a spray wax

tomstin
06-10-2011, 11:05 AM
From what I have found over the years, there are fundamentally two types of car protection. Carnauba Wax and Paint sealants. A good overview is here: http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

Carnauba wax tends to have a "warmer" or deeper look to it but the sealants tend to shine a bit more and seem to last longer (particularly on dark colors due to the hotter surface temps).

I've started using Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax for the past few months and I like the way it looks and it seems to be holding up real well. It's a nice balance between the look of carnauba and the durability of a sealant.

Of course everyone will have their own opinion on waxes. You have to find one that works for you both for looks and durability.

For durability, it's hard to beat Zaino, but I like the warmer look of Carnauba.

Either way, prep is EVERYTHING! Clean, clay, polish, glaze and then wax or seal.

Munich77
06-10-2011, 01:13 PM
From what I have found over the years, there are fundamentally two types of car protection. Carnauba Wax and Paint sealants. A good overview is here: http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

Carnauba wax tends to have a "warmer" or deeper look to it but the sealants tend to shine a bit more and seem to last longer (particularly on dark colors due to the hotter surface temps).

I've started using Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax for the past few months and I like the way it looks and it seems to be holding up real well. It's a nice balance between the look of carnauba and the durability of a sealant.

Of course everyone will have their own opinion on waxes. You have to find one that works for you both for looks and durability.

For durability, it's hard to beat Zaino, but I like the warmer look of Carnauba.

Either way, prep is EVERYTHING! Clean, clay, polish, glaze and then wax or seal.

FK1000P has a reputation for being way durable too once you get itno a second or more layers. I have started using it myself and it sure repels the dirt welll. My car has not been washed in a couple of weeks and while dusty looks still pretty good.

Johancab
06-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Washing your car weekly? How often do you use it?
Mine get washed at least twice but more often three times a week, I treat it with quick detail weekly after a wash, I do not know how long the wax last but its more than three to four months which is when I apply a new layer of wax.
It is important to use a wax save shampoo though.

RBinDC
06-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Washing your car weekly? How often do you use it?
Mine get washed at least twice but more often three times a week, I treat it with quick detail weekly after a wash, I do not know how long the wax last but its more than three to four months which is when I apply a new layer of wax.
It is important to use a wax save shampoo though.

Washing 2 to 3 times a week? Isn't that getting a bit obsessive-compulsive? I wash my 2011 335 only when it looks dirty, which is about twice a month. I keep it under a cover when it is parked for any length of time and it's Titanium Silver which doesn't show every bit of dust, all of which helps. Even the brake dust is minimal

Johancab
06-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Might be?? Who knows.

I've been doing it for the last 27 years, usually have three cars between me and the wife - all get the same treatment. I do three to four washes per month by myself the others are done by my very carefully trained gardener. They are kept in garages but I can't stand seeing any dust on them.
My weekend driver (of which I do not currently have one) is washed after every trip and then kept under a cover in the garage till its next outing.

Quite normal isn't it? :angel:

POof540i
06-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Might be?? Who knows.

I've been doing it for the last 27 years, usually have three cars between me and the wife - all get the same treatment. I do three to four washes per month by myself the others are done by my very carefully trained gardener. They are kept in garages but I can't stand seeing any dust on them.
My weekend driver (of which I do not currently have one) is washed after every trip and then kept under a cover in the garage till its next outing.

Quite normal isn't it? :angel:

That's pretty hardcore, but as long as you and your gardener are using good washing techniques and products, it's all good. :D I get quite a bit of flak from my neighbors because I wash my cars once a week; if they only knew about you. :rofl:

Johancab
06-19-2011, 11:31 PM
We use only Meguiares and yes we do it the correct way.
The dealership know me as Mr no wash - they are not allowed to take my cars near there wash-bay.