PDA

View Full Version : LA loves GT?

innerloop
06-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Strange thing - I have a GT on order for ED at the end of August, and since ordering it, I've been keeping an eye out for GTs whenever I'm on the road. I drive mostly in the SF bay area, Marin county, etc. And in the two months since I placed my order, I've seen exactly zero GTs.

Now I am visiting LA for a few days and staying/driving around the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood area, and I see 5 GTs (at least 4 unique ones) during my two days here.

So I don't know if the local dealer here ran a special or just ordered them aggressively, or maybe folks in Beverly Hills recognize a bargain when they see it.

But damn does LA love them some GTs! I have to say, since this was my first time seeing one on the road during normal driving, my first thought was "damn, that's a big car"..

I also have noticed a lot more Mercedes "R" series cars (ick) and those Honda "Crosstours", so I guess the folks here are more open to these 5-door designs in general.

Capobranco
06-09-2011, 09:08 AM
But damn does LA love them some GTs! I have to say, since this was my first time seeing one on the road during normal driving, my first thought was "damn, that's a big car"..

The 5 GT is a Big BMW celebration.

At first I was very taken aback by the GT’s massive size - coming from a 335i vert. I soon came to the realization that the GT maybe huge in dimensions but surprisingly the GT drives small. Indeed, dynamically my GT posts numbers comparable to the 550i – I attribute this to physics defying BMW big car magic.

The GT has serious road presence which is due in no small measure to its size. You will find that your GT will engender frequent compliments. We maybe regarded by some on Bimmerfest as mutant pariahs, but I assure you that in the wild, the GT enjoys a status akin to an exotic. Even this morning, I was stopped by a very pretty early 20 something who felt compelled to tell me “your BMW is off the hook”. On the road you will find many drivers will speed up to get a closer look. The attention is fun but driving the GT is BMW joy.

car-fan
06-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Strange thing - I have a GT on order for ED at the end of August, and since ordering it, I've been keeping an eye out for GTs whenever I'm on the road. I drive mostly in the SF bay area, Marin county, etc. And in the two months since I placed my order, I've seen exactly zero GTs.

Now I am visiting LA for a few days and staying/driving around the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood area, and I see 5 GTs (at least 4 unique ones) during my two days here.

So I don't know if the local dealer here ran a special or just ordered them aggressively, or maybe folks in Beverly Hills recognize a bargain when they see it.

I also have noticed a lot more Mercedes "R" series cars (ick) and those Honda "Crosstours", so I guess the folks here are more open to these 5-door designs in general.

Southern California was always 'car country" you are likely to see anything and everything in and around LA.

Now if I was still in the "Bay" (born and raised there - grew up 8 blocks away from Ocean Beach in the City) you would at least see one other - mine. There is another GT'er on this board (JDUBB i think) from San Francisco. When I moved out from my parents house in the city I lived in San Rafael off of Lucas Valley road. Did you order your car from Sonnen? Just curious, because I bought a new e39 from them back in the day.

innerloop
06-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Indeed - my last two new cars have both been leased from Kerri over at Sonnen. She knows the ED process backward & forward, and I loved ED so much on my E93, I couldn't wait to do it again.