PDA

View Full Version : Switching instrument cluster in 4.4 '04..?

Emm
03-09-2004, 01:50 PM
I have an '04 model 4.4iA where I would like to upgrade the instrument cluster to the look of the 4.6iS/4.8iS -- or other "M-like" cluster... I am primarily looking for the four chromed rings, so I can settle for that, but it would be nice if one could also replace the whole display with the different typeface and layout of the 4.6iS or ///M type.

My dealer tells me the contacts from the 4.6iS cluster won't fit in the '04, and he is probably right about this. Just opting for the display and rings though would be quite expensive as one would have to buy the whole cluster as one single part to break down, so what I'm looking for is someone who sells either just the chromed rings (for a retrofit in the current cluster), or the rings along with the 4.6iS display (or if the display from the E46 M3 or E39 M5 will fit?).

(The reason I'm so picky about this tiny detail is that I also have an M Coupé and would like to have more similarity between in the "user interface" of the two cars (no, changing the M Coupé cluster instead is not an option :-).

Anyone else with an '04 model who has already stumbled over this..?

swindonhost
03-10-2004, 01:10 AM
so what I'm looking for is someone who sells either just the chromed rings (for a retrofit in the current cluster), or the rings along with the 4.6iS display (or if the display from the E46 M3 or E39 M5 will fit?).

(The reason I'm so picky about this tiny detail is that I also have an M Coupé and would like to have more similarity between in the "user interface" of the two cars (no, changing the M Coupé cluster instead is not an option :-).

Anyone else with an '04 model who has already stumbled over this..?

In the UK you can get rings for retrofit, they are not BMW units but do the job. I'll hunt out a link and some prices for you.

Jon

Emm
03-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I just found out from my BMW dealer that the part numbers for the '02 4.4i cluster and the '04 4.4i cluster are different -- which implies that the dealer was right in the first place, the 4.6iS cluster just won't fit the new '04 4.4i... Unless I can get hold of separate rings, I guess I'm stuck with the same old cluster until BMW releases the 4.8iS and one can order the 4.8iS cluster as a spare part... I'm surprised though that no one before me seems to have stumbled over this -- surely there must be other '04 4.4i owners who also want the M like gauges in their cluster??