PDA

View Full Version : Battery Losing Charge

Kansas1
06-12-2011, 01:19 PM
My 2010, 5 Series ran perfect for 16 months. Then the battery went dead, and through
the BMW diagnostics, I found out that I had a "Improper Driving Profile".

With telephone calls by the dealer and myself to BMW North America, the dealer was allowed to warranty the battery, because it would not hold a charge.

I purchased the BMW Trickle Charger and every time I put it in the garage I have to lift
the hood and attach the charger. I drive almost 600 miles a month.

How many miles a month do you have to drive to keep a BMW battery charged. I would not have purchased the car if I knew there was a driving requirement.

Is the BMW alternator inadequate ? I never had this happen with a car before.

11gt535
06-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I think what they should have told you was "Unfavorable Driving Profile". If you search you'll find other people's experiences with it which are a mix of good, bad, and horrible. It's one of the weirder positions that BMW takes when you aren't advised of it anywhere until after your battery is dead. I haven't seen a definition of the profile I'd trust.

I haven't looked into it yet, but it might be that the accessory plug in your truck is directly connected to the battery and it might trickle charge through that or at least it could be rewired to do so.

jdubbs
06-14-2011, 08:27 AM
I had this issue on my previous 650i. I was likewise told to use the trickle charger, but it got so bad that if I didn't drive for 5-6 days the battery would die completely, which was completely unacceptable. My local service center did advise me that locking the doors when the car was in the garage would help alleviate the problem, as it would shut down certain sensors and systems that would otherwise remain in always-on mode.

Turbo_525
06-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow. Turth be told, this is just one more reason my 2002 e39 could well be my last "modern" BMW.

I've owned other, older BMW's, Saabs, Volvos, Acuras, Hondas and still own a 1996 Dodge truck with a Cummins Turbo Diesel. With that truck, and it's 2 batteries, I can leave it sit for 3 months and never have a problem with current drain. My last Accord, a 2000 model with 225k on it when I sold it, was also stone reliable in general and never required "shore power."

Maybe BMW should consider calling thier cars "plug-in hybrids" instead.