PDA

View Full Version : clay bar new car?

brettnyc
06-12-2011, 06:02 PM
My car just finished production and will be arriving in a few days. Since it was only painted about 1 week prior to delivery is clay necessary?

Thanks,
Brett

djfitter
06-12-2011, 06:11 PM
My car just finished production and will be arriving in a few days. Since it was only painted about 1 week prior to delivery is clay necessary?

Thanks,
Brett

Yes. If in doubt, do the baggie on the hand thing and feel for contaminants. :)

dj

Angelo@properautocare.com
06-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Not a problem at all, you can wax your new ride and don't have to wait at all.

For washing I always recommend using the 2 bucket method with a pair of Grit Guards and a good shampoo also. You can use a microfiber towel or mitt which you want to use. I would use a clay bar to remove any contaminants that may have fell on it. just place your hand inside a plastic bag and lightly run your fingertips over your car's paint. The finish should be mirror smooth. If your car's paint has a rough, gritty or pebble-like texture, you're a victim of paint contamination!

The easiest way to make it as smooth-as-glass finish to your new car is to "clay" the surface with Blackfire Poly Clay or Meguiar's Detailing Clay. These are specially formulated for new, clear coat finishes, Detailing Clay "pulls" contamination off the surface without abrasion or scratching.

Any swirls on your new ride should be remove using a compound/polish like the Meguiar's M105 & M205 products with Lake Country foam pads and a polisher like the Porter Cable 7424XP.

After your done and checking your work using a IPA wipedown I recommend giving another bath to remove any dust from these and any products you might use.

Next will be going with a Sealant or a Wax of your choice. I recommend going with a sealant ( 2 coats ) and topping it off a good Carnuaba wax that doesn't break the bank.

Remember to with use a leaf blower or a Metro Vac in drying your ride and good drying towel that don't scratch.

Anything else you can go here (http://www.properautocare.com/Default.aspx?categoryId=1) and start to get the finest products your ride would love.

Anymore you can call me at PAC....................Angelo

Todd@properautocare.com
06-12-2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks,
Brett

Brett, many times new cars spend some time in various parts of the assembly line, where they could be exposed to contamination. Then they are shipped (if the car is built over seas it will spend time on an ocean liner, expsoed to salt-air). Once in the States, cars are usually shipped via train to distribuation depots. The chance of rain-dust contamination is fairly high. Finally its the open road on a transport big-rig.

So even a 'factory fresh' car is usually subjected to some fairly harsh conditions. As suggested, feel the paint for contamination and clay if needed.

Todd

brettnyc
06-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Thanks to all for the replies. I will do the baggie test and clay if necessary.

Todd@properautocare.com
06-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. I will do the baggie test and clay if necessary.

Perfect!

Angelo@properautocare.com
06-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Great to know!:thumbup:

ronkh
06-16-2011, 08:18 AM
THese were from a new 335is

so yes

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/IMAG0501.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/IMAG0504.jpg