PDA

View Full Version : Plastic trim care

brettnyc
06-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Jus5 purchased a 2012 e70 x5. Coming from an x3 I was always frustrated with the crappy plastic trim and how to care for it. Very early on it started to look faded an dull. I tried several products before I found anything I liked.

I ended up settling on poor boys trim restorer. It made the plastic look great but didn't last long at all. Not to mention it left oily streaks on the painted surfaces after any rain :mad:. I also felt like the more I used it, the more the plastic needed it to look satisfactory. Anyone ele experience this?

Looking for any suggestions for a better method or product.

Thanks,
Brett

brettnyc
06-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Sorry for the typos. Still getting used to the ****ty iPad virtual kybd

Johnz3mc
06-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Two products you'll want to explore:
-Black Wow. Silicone based and will last a long time.
-Gtechniq C4. This stuff will last for a couple of years.
As far as I know, the Gtechniq products are an England product and is widely used there but is only available in N. America through Pak Shak in Hawaii and Pak Shak has a wonderful reputation. Don't hesitate to order from them if you decide on the C4.

csmeance
06-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Jus5 purchased a 2012 e70 x5. Coming from an x3 I was always frustrated with the crappy plastic trim and how to care for it. Very early on it started to look faded an dull. I tried several products before I found anything I liked.

I ended up settling on poor boys trim restorer. It made the plastic look great but didn't last long at all. Not to mention it left oily streaks on the painted surfaces after any rain :mad:. I also felt like the more I used it, the more the plastic needed it to look satisfactory. Anyone ele experience this?

Looking for any suggestions for a better method or product.

Thanks,
Brett

Chemical Guys Black on Black is a product I've heard great reviews about. I have black-wow and it's good but it's a bit expensive. Use very little and make sure the plastic is super clean before applying black-wow!

OleMissDLE
06-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I haven't had to restore any black trimming on my BMW yet but on my past vehicles I have used Black-Wow and it is a great product.

I'm not sure about anyone else but avoid Mothers Back-To-Black. It left oily streaks on my vehicles after rain.

Here is the product (I am not affiliated with AutoGeek whatsoever) :
http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-restorer-2oz.html

POof540i
06-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Like John suggested, Gtechniq C4 will restore faded trim, even severely faded trim, and the protection can last up to two years, but the cost is high ($60 bucks for less than an ounce).

Ultima makes a great great trim protectant. It's called Ultima Tire & Trim Guard. Protection lasts 3-5 months and will restore all but the most faded trim. It costs about $32 bucks for 12-ounces.