PDA

View Full Version : Some Feedback and Some More Questions

quackbury
06-21-2011, 02:26 PM
My wife and I spent the day test driving various F10's, a 535ix GT and the new Audi A6 back-to-back. I've posted a full report on the F10 board; the Cliff Notes version is that I am surprised how much I DIDN'T like the A6, and the choice is really boiling down to the 535 GT vs. the 528 (either Sport and DHP or M Sport). (As this is Mrs. Quack's car, we don't need crazy power, and I am trying to practice a little fiscal restraint).

BTW my 5' 10" son loved the GT's back seats. He found the F10's fine ... in the A6 his head brushed the headliner ... and in the A7 his knees were jammed into his chest and he had to tilt his head sideways to clear the roof. The A7 may be "another" fastback 4-door coupe, but it most emphatically is NOT a competitor for the GT.

My questions:

My wife likes silver, but I don't feel the TiAg shows off the F07's lines to best advantage. Does anyone have a GT in Mineral Silver, or can you point me to photos of one?
Every single GT I've test driven (4 in all) has the Sport+ / Sport / Normal switch next to the shifter. But none have had DHP on the window sticker. Does some form of adaptive drive come standard? What does the standard system do, and what does DHP add? The BMWUSA configurator sheds no light, there are no brochures, and the CA's are all clueless. Anyone know? I found the system on the demos to be pretty acceptable, and am questioning whether I need to spring for the DHP after all.

Thanks in advance!

jdubbs
06-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I think you mean Orion Silver? The GT is not available in Mineral Silver, at least not in the US. There are many photos of Orion Silver online... for instance: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266298. I have seen both Titanium and Orion Silver in person; of the two I preferred Orion Silver (Titanium Silver looked kind of generic on this model) but Orion is more beige-y than Mineral Silver, a little too beige for my taste, so I passed on it.

I gave up trying to keep the various adaptive/integral/active steering/drive/etc options straight in my head. I ended up just ordering them all.

11gt535
06-21-2011, 07:38 PM
The mode selector comes standard but you only get Comfort mode with DHP. With no options, the system allows you to program whether Sport mode is drivetrain adjustments, chasis adjustments, or both.

The change to the drivetrain is pretty dramatic, the chasis changes aren't as noticable to me. I only drove one GT with DHP before buying and I wouldn't call it a critical option, others may disagree. In real world driving I rarely switch it to Sport although I do pop the selector over to activate DS mode.

quackbury
06-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks, guys. I was "thinking" Mineral, but you are right about the Orion. It is too champagne for Mrs. Quack. So I will mount a full court press for either Neptune or Graphite (with Ivory and Black either way).

@11gt535: If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the selector switch is standard, and allows you to choose between Normal, Sport and Sport+. The DHP adds a 4th mode (comfort) and presumably Active Roll Stabilization as well. (And of course, you get the option of putting the trans in DS or Manual mode, regardless of whether you order DHP or not.) Have I got that right?

If that's the case, I think you just saved me $2,700. The GT's ride is comfortable enough in Normal mode, and Mrs. Quack is never going to push the car hard enough to benefit from ARS. So I think the $$$ is better spent elsewhere.

BTW this month BMW is "incentivizing" the 535 xDrive GT lease rates, to the point where a similarly equipped xDrive has virtually the same payment as a RWD GT. Other than the staggered wheels and summer performance tires, are there any good arguments in favor of the RWD?

If that's accurate,

mason
06-22-2011, 07:00 AM
Well, actually when you choose DHP, you have to add Sport Package. It is a bundle deal. It depends on driver. Some don't feel too much difference between Normal or Sport, frankly Sport+ is rarely used. I have played around it. Sometimes I set chassis to sport and throttle to normal, sometimes I do both. Sport package gives you performance tires so you may need a second set of tires for winter.

quackbury
06-22-2011, 07:31 AM
I should have mentioned that I will get Sport regardless of what other choices I make, because I love the multi-contour seats. I was originally thinking RWD, because I love the driving dynamics and the staggered wheels. However, the lease payments on the xDrive are only $12.75 higher than the RWD, so the rational side of my brain may push me in that direction. The website says the RWD SP comes with Performance tires, the xDrive with all-seasons (though I have always mounted 4 winter tires anyway).

The $64,000 question is whether adding Dynamic Handling to the Sport Package is really worthwhile?

magnumforc
06-28-2011, 04:50 PM
The Normal position is great for driving the jagged city streets with potholes and truck ruts, but I drive mine in Sport all the other times. Sport+ is a bit too edgy in city traffic but on the curves of mountain roads it's outstanding. Gives a tight feel and combined with the DS setting of the shifter, it's a ball to drive in any area. The Sport package on the xDrive comes with all season RFT tires so there's a plus in itself. They seem to perform very well in wet or dry and are M&S rated so we'll see how thay handle on the mountains in light snow come winter. Just hadn't the chance to see much snow after getting the second Gt this year. The first was an RWD with all season tires and the second the xDrive.

Also, the multi-contour seats are heaven on long trips. My back loves them, my arse loves them and I can't say anything except that not having them would cause me to park the car.