PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for brand new car

SD Z4MR
06-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Not a newbie to Bimmerfest, but my first post in this forum.

We're taking redelivery of our Le Mans Blue 335is Coupe in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to giving it it's first wash & wax. I'm looking for recommendations for the procedures for a new car. I've searched and found a few references to brand new cars, but the last one was in 2010. (Edit: Just found this one: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5898562&postcount=1)

Recommendations that I've seen are to to wash, clay, apply sealant, wax. I was already planning to wash, clay and wax, but I'm don't know what to do for sealant.

I've use mostly Meguiar's products on my S2000: Gold Class Shampoo, Gold Class Liquid Wax, Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes, Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, and Quik Detailer Spray. I can't seem to find whatever I'm been using on the plastic in the interior, but it isn't ArmorAll. I have some Griot's products including their clay bar, 100% cotton cloths and towels, and more recently their microfiber wash mitt and towels. I recently bought the Gilmour Foam Gun.

While in Germany, we drove 2,782 km (1,725 mi), got rained on a lot, and killed millions of bugs. The car sat under a tree twice for 2 days and accumulated lots of pollen and tree junk (twigs, seeds, etc.) and bird droppings. It car was washed once in Germany after that using a self-service spray wash and dried using some microfiber towels we bought at a local store near the car wash. We got it pretty clean.

I've instructed the dealer not to wash the car when it arrives.

I'm looking for recommendations for shampoo, sealant and wax, to replace the above products if necessary. I'm curious about the Meguiar's NXT Generation line.

Thanks!

Before:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-V9okpnqc5K0/TdyMfHap3HI/AAAAAAAAE1I/zOT9EGTBjJs/s400/IMG_0620.JPG

After:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fJHCAOJsIp4/TdrWhKmSCUI/AAAAAAAAEqM/5H-HLBMb2VY/s400/IMG_7392.JPG https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mBH88msDKO0/TdrWiZqUX4I/AAAAAAAAEqU/q917Sfbu5-s/s400/IMG_7394.JPG https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JICEnhylRBQ/TdrWl_9HCYI/AAAAAAAAEqk/Ie_n-wDge6U/s400/IMG_7398.JPG

Ilovemycar
06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Not a newbie to Bimmerfest, but my first post in this forum.

We're taking redelivery of our Le Mans Blue 335is Coupe in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to giving it it's first wash & wax. I'm looking for recommendations for the procedures for a new car. I've searched and found a few references to brand new cars, but the last one was in 2010. (Edit: Just found this one: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5898562&postcount=1)

I'm familiar with your posts in the 3er forum, but welcome to the detailing forum, heh. Thanks for that link, pretty comprehensive . . . and I was wondering about how I could clean my window felt so I would get less streaking on the outside when rolling up and down the windows. Well, I'm going to try what's included in there.

Recommendations that I've seen are to to wash, clay, apply sealant, wax. I was already planning to wash, clay and wax, but I'm don't know what to do for sealant.

For someone who has always been using sealant, typically without any wax, my last detail I did wax only. Wax is generally accepted to look better (if perhaps a subtle difference), but won't last as long. If you're going to wax with some frequency, say every 1-2 months, you might not really need a sealant where you live. The extra coat is more protection of course. Also, a few waxes last as long as sealants. In a nutshell, you don't have to use sealant at all (for instance, you could do two coats wax instead).

I've use mostly Meguiar's products on my S2000: Gold Class Shampoo, Gold Class Liquid Wax, Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes, Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, and Quik Detailer Spray. I can't seem to find whatever I'm been using on the plastic in the interior, but it isn't ArmorAll. I have some Griot's products including their clay bar, 100% cotton cloths and towels, and more recently their microfiber wash mitt and towels. I recently bought the Gilmour Foam Gun.

IMO the most important product listed there are the Gilmour and the MFs. Some would prefer a good lambswool mitt to an MF because it may release dirt particles better. I would love to try that huge "Wookie Fist" mitt made by Dodo Juice, but they're expensive. As for towels, man it's almost amazing how different MF towels can be. The best stuff seems to be made in Korea. Nicer towels will have better made seams (reduces chances of scratching/marring).

As you keep researching, you will find that there are countless products out there. The GC wash doesn't sud as much but has excellent lubricity. If you want more foam from your Gilmour, try Optimum Car Wash. However that stuff doesn't strip LSP (Last Step Product), and in your case you might try the Chemical Guys Citrus wash. (Please bear in mind though I've done quite a bit of research, I still am only familiar with a fraction of the products out there.)

I see some people really like Zaino for BMW leather, if perhaps specifically for the smell. For my BMW, I pretty much only use Leatherique products (though I will use Optimum and 303 Aerospace on other vehicles). For other issues, know there are also Leather Master and Leather Doctor products, whether for stain removal, degreasing, etc.

While in Germany, we drove 2,782 km (1,725 mi), got rained on a lot, and killed millions of bugs. The car sat under a tree twice for 2 days and accumulated lots of pollen and tree junk (twigs, seeds, etc.) and bird droppings. It car was washed once in Germany after that using a self-service spray wash and dried using some microfiber towels we bought at a local store near the car wash. We got it pretty clean.

I'm sure you know already, but don't ever park under a tree if you can help it. Pollen has hooks in it too. You can use a variety of products for bugs (which will etch if left alone), and I typically use APC. I would only use a tar remover for tar, but that's just from my reading impressions.

I've instructed the dealer not to wash the car when it arrives.

Smart man. I keep a red grease pencil in the glove compartment. Whenever I'm at the dealership, just telling them "no wash" is not good enough for me, I write a huge WASH on the windshield, then circle it and put a line through it.

I'm looking for recommendations for shampoo, sealant and wax, to replace the above products if necessary. I'm curious about the Meguiar's NXT Generation line.

Thanks!

For sealants I haven't tried either but for you, I would try the Blackfire Wet Diamond, or perhaps try the new 3D sealant. Wax, I just used Dodo Juice recently, and it's expensive. I like it though. I've used NXT 2.0 sealant, and it works. Man I tell you I hate cleaning sealant off pads. This alone might be enough to turn me into a wax only person. The Megs Ultimate sealant sits thinner with less hazing than the NXT it seems to me. The NXT has a bit more of an amped up look I think.

Hope that helps.

Johnz3mc
06-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Griot's car wash is a better choice than Meg's Gold Class. Better lubricity means better gliding and that suggests less marring down the road.

Wool mitt combined with a 2 bucket method (plus the Griot's shampoo) would be an ideal washing setup.

As a prewash task, I'd do a decontamination wash with IronX. Paint and wheels. This step will show you how much embedded iron is on your new car.

As for sealants, I'd be partial to Optimun's Opti-Seal or Ultima's Paint Guard Plus. The Black Fire Wet Diamond has a huge following also.

I'd just do a couple of coats of sealant then see if I was comfortable with the look. If depth and richness are factors, I'd add a beauty carnauba on top. Souveran or Victoria Wax Concours.
A factor to consider is that once a carnauba goes on top of a sealant, you pretty much can't add any more sealant on top. It just won't bond well to the carnauba base. Obviously a sealant will bond with a sealant base, just not a carnauba base.
Nice looking car,
-John C.