PDA

View Full Version : Cost for 5 years wheel/tire insurance?

2011535i
06-23-2011, 07:25 PM
What are people paying for 5-years of BMW wheel/tire insurance? Does the price of the insurance vary based upon which 5 series one purchases? Mine is a 535i with M Sport package. I didn't buy x-drive. Thanks in advance for the guidance.

quackbury
06-23-2011, 07:40 PM
You will probably get more germane responses if you post in the F10 (5 Series Sedan) forum instead of here in the F07 (5 Series GT forum). Sorry.

kashrahman
06-27-2011, 06:50 AM
i think we were offered 5 year insurance for $1200? maybe $1250? something in that range. we declined

magnumforc
06-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Discount Tire in the US will sell tire coverage for about $250-300 for the RFT's when the car is new. Not for the rims though. My logic in not buying the BMW coverage is that we drive through only one set of tires in about four years or so, and unless we wiped out several tires and rims at once or all four tires, the cost of the plan is excessive. The Discount Tire plan we use covers lifetime rotation, balancing and road hazard protection/replacement. If we wipe out a wheel, usually it's available through Craigslist or another local service for lots less than BMW. Of course, if you "need it now" then things change!

Mikez38
07-27-2011, 10:23 AM
I bought the insurance $1374. The F10 people are having major problems with the Goodyear run flats with side wall bubbles. I have the same tires in my GT. The rims are very expensive to replace. So far at 900 miles everything has been good.

magnumforc
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Oh, Mike, one run on the Long Island Distressway during winter would be a death wish to those tires, wouldn't it? Oh, wait, the traffic never gets to move that fast! I used to do investigations all through the Island way back when and actually stayed in the city so I could drive opposite the traffic just to do my job!

Cheers!

Capobranco
07-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Discount Tire in the US will sell tire coverage for about $250-300 for the RFT's when the car is new. Not for the rims though. My logic in not buying the BMW coverage is that we drive through only one set of tires in about four years or so, and unless we wiped out several tires and rims at once or all four tires, the cost of the plan is excessive. The Discount Tire plan we use covers lifetime rotation, balancing and road hazard protection/replacement. If we wipe out a wheel, usually it's available through Craigslist or another local service for lots less than BMW. Of course, if you "need it now" then things change!

Happen to me while driving my 335i E93 - hit a sinkhole masquerading as a pothole on a rainy/snowy night which took out 4 tires and damaged the wheels - $3000. Good news -runflats worked as advertised and got me home - about 10 miles. Insurance paid for the repairs minus my deductible. Moreover, the Goodyear runflats come with a warranty from Goodyear which is good for one year from the car's date of manufacture - Goodyear will replace a failed tire on a prorated basis. Aftermarket RFT tire plans are interesting but expensive. I prefer to take my chances, and if I have a major incident my auto policy provides a safety net.

2011535i
08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
i think we were offered 5 year insurance for $1200? maybe $1250? something in that range. we declined

Well I paid for my car today (I'm 2 weeks out from my ED pick-up at the Welt). They offered my the 5 year insurance for $1,500. I told them that their price was $300 more than what I understood to be the going rate. The dealership pushed back a bit and I pushed harder. Done deal at $1,199. Thank you!:thumbup: