PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner?

gcvt
06-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Anyone try Griot's new 'heavy duty' wheel cleaner yet? I'd love to hear some opinions on this stuff. I find their regular strength wheel cleaner to be pretty good but not great. Seems like I have to use quite a bit of it to get the wheels clean and it's certainly not cheap....and this new product costs 70% more than the regular stuff :yikes:

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/GriotsGarage/11026_FAM?$detail$

gcvt
07-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Bump...

TOGWT
07-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Does anyone have an MSDS for this product? Pls e-mail a copy (jonmiller1999@yahoo.com) THANKS

zkeeper
07-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Just got a bottle and am also anxious to try it out...and am regular user of the regular wheel cleaner. I have not found it hard to use in any way; in fact quite easy. Mist the wheel, use the cleaner and a light wanding or the Griots "wand thingy", a little behind the spokes with the green pad for fingers or using the autogeek wheel taper wheel brush and the dust just is gone. Its BMW with LOTS of dust to boot. BUT I do keep the wheels waxed so that helps for sure. Let us know how the new goo works. I know they have a high product usage rating on their wheel products---so hopefully this one will as well. ;)

Munich77
07-26-2011, 01:54 PM
From what I have seen it is similar to Sonax - at least that is what reviewers on autogeek ahve said.

zkeeper
07-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Well got the new HD cleaner...and used it as expected on my sister's X3 Bimmer. She and my wife are pretty fanatical about their cars, wheels etc. [both are identical X3, same year, livery, options] BUT she had let the wheels get worse than normal. Have not tried the Sonax, but the GG HDcleaner goes on evenly, turns the bad dusties red, and with just a little wanding with the Griots tire wand...or my Autogeek red wheel cleaner brush, let sit for maybe 2-3 minutes and it was done...really done. These wheels were very dirty, but the dust was not baked, caked on for months, as some are. They ARE cleaned and dusted very often to keep the build up off and wheels dust free for daily driving. So the test is somewhat skewed, but will keep this on the detail cart now...took the work out of getting the wheels clean. She liked that a LOT ;) BUT for regular washings, the regular wheel cleaner works great...no need for HD unless its an HD situaton.

Living Dead
07-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Maybe it is just me but I've tried a lot of wheel cleaning products (not griots though) and to get all of the dust and grime off the wheels always requires some friction with a brush, sponge or cloth. I have yet to find a product that is simply spray on and hose off. It may get the majority off but it seems there is always something left behind that needs to be wiped. Now I just use the same soapy water I use to wash the car and when I'm done with the painted surfaces I just wash the wheels with a mf and get between the spokes with a toilet brush. Everything comes out nice and clean and I don't wast a lot of money on cleaners that don't save time like they claim to. Maybe my method works because I clean them almost every week but you'd think that if the wheels didn't have baked on dust the products would work better.

Munich77
07-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Living Dead I think normal soap would work well too. Most of the time I use all purpose cleaner. What I have noticed on my 535 with the 17 inch wheels is that a lot of brake dust gets imbedded because the brake rotors are so large and there is insufficient space between the edge of the rotor and rim to allow brake partilces to cool down sufficiently to avoid deposits.

zkeeper
07-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey LivingDead, you are spot on. You do have to agitate with brush to get the dust to break down..but the Griots HD did work quicker. I would HATE to use anything that was so strong it did NOT need agitation. On my own car, it just does not build up, so the HD is not needed or used. A light spritz of the regular, if that, is all I need and usually I use the washing soap and a light brushing...all gone. Buts it as you said, its due to NOT allowing it to build up in the first place...I use a wheel duster during the week to break it up inside the wheel. THAT really keeps the work down on wheels...a little dusting out, after everyother day or so...;)

zkeeper
07-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Hey LivingDead, you are spot on. You do have to agitate with brush to get the dust to break down..but the Griots HD did work quicker. I would HATE to use anything that was so strong it did NOT need agitation. On my own car, it just does not build up, so the HD is not needed or used. A light spritz of the regular, if that, is all I need and usually I use the washing soap and a light brushing...all gone. But its also because I dust the wheels and barrels every other day or so with a wheel duster...really makes light work in washing up.;)