PDA

View Full Version : Help! My 92 E34 paint needs some serious attention.

Sean
04-21-2002, 12:26 PM
It's Alpine White II w/o clear coat (BMW AG didn't start clear coating until 93). The paint is so dirty that after you wash it still has a film on it. I don't want to clay bar, too much work for a 10 year old car. What's a good polish/cleaner to use and what about a good wax for paints w/o a clear coat?

Thanks

SONET
04-21-2002, 02:02 PM
It will require a great deal of physical labor to get the paint really clean without a wheel. I think it would probably be more work in the long run to use polish if you are doing it by hand than it would be to just use clay.

Yes, using a clay bar is lots of work. But if you do say half the car one Saturday (3-4 hours) and the other half the following weekend, it's not quite so bad. I have done it this way many times.

I have an older car (87) that is also white. You would not believe the difference when it is clayed, the car is much brighter and the paint feels great (no more little rust dots).

However you decide to do it... good luck! :thumb:

--SONET

Sean
04-21-2002, 02:13 PM
I tried polishing with One Grand Omega Glaze followed by One Grand Blitz Wax by hand the last time and it was far too much effort with little results so, I just used Meguiar's Clearer/Wax. Needless, to say it did hold up very long nor were the results that impressive.

Nat Brown
04-22-2002, 08:38 AM
Using a clay bar is very easy and quick. You can clay bar the entire car in about an hour. I did this on my wife's 5-year old (abused) Jetta. It didn't have a clear coat and it worked wonders!

--gary:thumb:

Sean
04-22-2002, 11:47 AM
Recommendations on Clay Bars? :dunno: