PDA

View Full Version : Sealant after Rim Refurbishment?

Centexhokie
06-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Due to a local installer putting tool marks on 3 of my 4 rims when they installed new tires, the four rims are undergoing refurbishment at Wheel Technologies today. In the process they clean the rims, true the wheels, weld any defective areas, re-machine the wheel, powder coat the wheel and then spray it with clear coat.

Now that the wheels should look like new, I would like to seal them. After reading the threads here and some other detailing forums I am going to apply Klasse AIO. Does anyone know if you have to wait for a period after powder coating like you do with regular painting prior to sealing?

Thanks.

dboy11
06-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Due to a local installer putting tool marks on 3 of my 4 rims when they installed new tires, the four rims are undergoing refurbishment at Wheel Technologies today. In the process they clean the rims, true the wheels, weld any defective areas, re-machine the wheel, powder coat the wheel and then spray it with clear coat.

Now that the wheels should look like new, I would like to seal them. After reading the threads here and some other detailing forums I am going to apply Klasse AIO. Does anyone know if you have to wait for a period after powder coating like you do with regular painting prior to sealing?

Thanks.

I would say no but ask the company that is doing the finishing to be safe.

Centexhokie
06-29-2011, 09:11 AM
I would say no but ask the company that is doing the finishing to be safe.

Thanks. I called them and it was suggested to wait a week. According to them because it is powder coated and sealed with clear coat they wouldn't expect any curing, but just to be safe wait a week.

dboy11
06-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks. I called them and it was suggested to wait a week. According to them because it is powder coated and sealed with clear coat they wouldn't expect any curing, but just to be safe wait a week.

That's why I suggested asking them. It sounds like regular new paint, there is an out-gassing time period. Which means the solvents in the paint are drying out. I see that you are going to use Klasse AIO to clean them, what's you sealant?

Reason I ask is the Klasse SG is a good one, but its not a high temp product that will last on a rim for long. The wheel sealants that I like are Rejex and Poorboys World Wheel Sealant. they are high temp and will last a good long time and help reduce brake dust and clean up time

Centexhokie
06-29-2011, 09:32 AM
That's why I suggested asking them. It sounds like regular new paint, there is an out-gassing time period. Which means the solvents in the paint are drying out. I see that you are going to use Klasse AIO to clean them, what's you sealant?

Reason I ask is the Klasse SG is a good one, but its not a high temp product that will last on a rim for long. The wheel sealants that I like are Rejex and Poorboys World Wheel Sealant. they are high temp and will last a good long time and help reduce brake dust and clean up time

I've not used a sealant in the past. Frankly cleaning with Sonax in the state they were in ( I bought a CPO) was all I did. I thought that Klasse AIO would actually seal the wheel based on some other discussions. Will it? If not I will probably go with Poorboys.

dboy11
06-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I've not used a sealant in the past. Frankly cleaning with Sonax in the state they were in ( I bought a CPO) was all I did. I thought that Klasse AIO would actually seal the wheel based on some other discussions. Will it? If not I will probably go with Poorboys.

Klasse AIO is a paint cleaner, its designed to clean surface containment off of paint. Your rims will not need this coming back in re-finished IMO

A wheel sealant is what is needed after they cure

Centexhokie
06-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Klasse AIO is a paint cleaner, its designed to clean surface containment off of paint. Your rims will not need this coming back in re-finished IMO

A wheel sealant is what is needed after they cure

I use Sonax to clean them. I've always thought Klasse AIO was a sealant. Dumb me since their site says "Klasse All-In-One is a revolutionary polish and acrylic sealant in one. "

I have ordered Poor Boy's Sealant and will put it on one of the back wheels to see if I see any real advantage to it. The front wheels don't dust that much since I have Racing Brake ET500 pads. The back wheels still have BMW OEM which create dust like my pugs create hair.

dboy11
06-29-2011, 12:17 PM
I use Sonax to clean them. I've always thought Klasse AIO was a sealant. Dumb me since their site says "Klasse All-In-One is a revolutionary polish and acrylic sealant in one. "

I have ordered Poor Boy's Sealant and will put it on one of the back wheels to see if I see any real advantage to it. The front wheels don't dust that much since I have Racing Brake ET500 pads. The back wheels still have BMW OEM which create dust like my pugs create hair.

LOL about the pugs!

Centexhokie
06-29-2011, 01:12 PM
LOL about the pugs!

The pugs are ubiquitous with the hair, the bimmer is ubiquitous with the brake dust. I'm actually not sure which is worse. Both appear to me to be without rival.

Ilovemycar
06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
The pugs are ubiquitous with the hair, the bimmer is ubiquitous with the brake dust. I'm actually not sure which is worse. Both appear to me to be without rival.

You want Armor All wheel protectant. I get mine from Target. It is the bang for buck product (in terms of effort, how easy it is) for its effectiveness. The typical recommendation is two light coats separated by enough minutes for full drying/curing. You don't want to start until the wheels are completely dry. There are many threads, but search for Brake Dust Cured and you'll see the longest of all.

If you wanted, you could use something like Rejex (if two coats, you want to separate by at least 12 hours), and then* the AA coats. The Rejex takes 100x more effort while not as effective as the AA, IMO. I've never tried both at the same time. Good luck.

Centexhokie
06-29-2011, 01:49 PM
You want Armor All wheel protectant. I get mine from Target. It is the bang for buck product (in terms of effort, how easy it is) for its effectiveness. The typical recommendation is two light coats separated by enough minutes for full drying/curing. You don't want to start until the wheels are completely dry. There are many threads, but search for Brake Dust Cured and you'll see the longest of all.

If you wanted, you could use something like Rejex (if two coats, you want to separate by at least 12 hours), and then* the AA coats. The Rejex takes 100x more effort while not as effective as the AA, IMO. I've never tried both at the same time. Good luck.

I read the thread. Very entertaining. I'll try AA on the other back rim. Always enjoy a good experiment.

dboy11
06-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I read the thread. Very entertaining. I'll try AA on the other back rim. Always enjoy a good experiment.

I concur this is a very effective product :D

Munich77
06-30-2011, 07:28 AM
I concur this is a very effective product :D

Yeah the AA wheel protectant is awesome. It is so easy to use but works so well.