PDA

View Full Version : Paint chip repair

titan7
07-01-2011, 12:14 PM
So my wife got a chip on her hood right in the middle. I bought the BMW factory paint but I heard of this dr. Paint chip? Any experiences with these?

What about using the BMW paint and then color sand then polish? The paint is montage blue.

SD Z4MR
07-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Do you mean Dr. ColorChip (http://www.drcolorchip.com/)?

I'm thinking of using this for my S2000.

Ilovemycar
07-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I bought the 3M kit because there was someone in the 3er forum who had tried 3 brands, I believe Langka, DCC, and 3M, but whichever three they were, he preferred the 3M.

Well, after using it, I have the impression that its value is simply making the user comfortable with the idea of sanding and compound/polishing an area. If you use the orange pad meant to be put on a drill, be very very very sure to always keep the pad flush to paint, and even much more so if on plastic panels or perhaps near the edges of metal panels where paint often gets thinner.

One could save money by simply picking up various grits of very fine sandpaper, especially if one already owns a DA/polish/pads for the finishing off.

Whatever kit you choose, you would be advised to add the Langka Blob Eliminator to your arsenal. Some would say only to get that part of the kit, and not the whole kit, but anyways, it will let you start over so to speak with touch up paint. I bought this for future scratch repairs, haven't used it yet, and also got some plastic razor blades that perhaps I might prefer over the card the BE comes with (we will see one day).

Bill-SD
07-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I've used Langka and it works well. But I've read good reviews about the other products also.

zkeeper
07-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I have not used the Dr.CC, Lanka or 3M but am interested in hearing more as well. A younf friend has used the Dr.CC and it "worked"--that is, front of car was of course, noticably better. So from that standpoint, I saw it as a great improvement.

I have only used the color match bottles from BMW [titanium silver]. I clean and prep chip or scratch area, by washing with Dawn soap to get all wax off area--then prep with Griots Paint prep. I apply with toothpick and even then it can be a bit heavy--and remove surface "blob" Dr.CC style with a fine edged plastic card. Then when thoroughly dry, lightl wet sand and then polish it back...it works, look decent, and saved a repair bill of course. You have to look close to see the repair...but it does take a bit more time than just blobbing paint on -don't use the little cap brush unless you have to] and walking away from it. But then some folks might not mind, as I have seen blobbbbbed paint for chip repairs. Not pretty. So you can do it with the BMW color match kit...good luck.:thumbup:

captainaudio
07-06-2011, 06:21 PM
I have been able to make small paint chips completely disappear with Dr. Colorchip. Sometimes it takes two or three applications.

CA

Johnz3mc
07-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Your idea of using the bmw paint then wet sanding and polishing will work well too.
Make sure you allow the thin layers of paint to dry between coats and don't be too hasty to wet sand before the underlying paint is very dry.

This is an example of where being too eager is a bad idea. :)
-John C.