PDA

View Full Version : ARS on 2010 sports package?

Chicago GT
07-10-2011, 10:02 AM
I have decided to purchase a 2010 535 GT. For me the ride, sound, flexible storage and other features are unbeatable for the price. But, I can not seem to get a straight or consistent answer regarding the inclusion of ARS in the 2010 535 GT sports package. All the brochures that I have for the 2010s clearly state that with the sports package, "Adaptive Drive: includes Active Roll Stabilization and Dynamic Damping Control", is included in the sports package. In 2010 Adaptive Drive is not listed as an available option and only shown as part of the sports package. In 2011 it was an option that was not part of the sports package but required the sports package before it could be added.

The suspension settings on the 2010 I am looking at only have Sport +, Sport and Normal, with no option for comfort. This makes me think that the ARS and Dynamic Damping control are also not included. When I have asked a few different BMW dealers I get different answers.

How can I get clarity regarding what actual came with the sport package on the 2010 535 GTs?

Thanks for your help.

magnumforc
07-10-2011, 10:08 PM
From what I find (We have two 535 GT's, a 2010 and a 2011), the Sports Package included larger wheels and tires, the 20 way multi -position seats, and a sports steering wheel. The Adaptive Drive Package was what included the other components you mentioned. Same with the 2011, each available as separate component packages.

The "adaptive suspension" as it's sometimes referred to is the Sport+, Sport and Normal settings. When you get the Adaptive Drive Package, you also get the "Comfort" setting to go with it too.

From the book:

Stand-alone options.
Integral Active Steering as described earlier.
Adaptive Drive (Dynamic Damping Control and Active Roll Stabilization), enhancing sporty handling and riding comfort with these two high-technology suspension systems.

car-fan
07-12-2011, 05:40 PM
I have decided to purchase a 2010 535 GT. For me the ride, sound, flexible storage and other features are unbeatable for the price. But, I can not seem to get a straight or consistent answer regarding the inclusion of ARS in the 2010 535 GT sports package. All the brochures that I have for the 2010s clearly state that with the sports package, "Adaptive Drive: includes Active Roll Stabilization and Dynamic Damping Control", is included in the sports package. In 2010 Adaptive Drive is not listed as an available option and only shown as part of the sports package. In 2011 it was an option that was not part of the sports package but required the sports package before it could be added.

The suspension settings on the 2010 I am looking at only have Sport +, Sport and Normal, with no option for comfort. This makes me think that the ARS and Dynamic Damping control are also not included. When I have asked a few different BMW dealers I get different answers.

How can I get clarity regarding what actual came with the sport package on the 2010 535 GTs?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know if this helps any, but when I took delivery of my 550 GT the Sport Package was $4200 - ARS & DHP included. Mid Year 2010 builds parsed out certain components and separated the ARS/DHP combination as part of the standard sports package. As you noted DHP cars include the "comfort" setting.

magnumforc
07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
And therein lies the crux of the issues with ordering..each submodel had a variety of options and specs. The 550 obviously had a different package available that the 535 did not and then dropped it in favor of offering the same option packages as the 535 later in the model year. Way to confuse the buying public for sure.

Incidentally, just got confirmation this morning that indeed my 2011 was programmed with 2010 specs, thus the software glitch. Man what a difference now. Performs like a different car. And I thought it was fast before?

Chicago GT
07-18-2011, 10:34 AM
It is clear to me that the handling package is not part of the sports package on the 2010 535s that I am looking at. For what it is worth the link below to the official 2010 catalog for the 5-Series GT is why I was convinced that the package was included. It plainly says that it is. On page 62 where it shows the sport package and the the detail of what is included. Also note on page 58 under handling and ride that the option is also shown as part of the sports package. Looks like marketing and engineering forgot to check with each other.
http://resource.bmwusa.com/ebooks/13fa3824-13eb-4b2b-9a8b-bab2086ae519/

My research has lead me to a new concern. Does anybody know if there are any other differences in the early production models? For example one of the cars I saw did not have the power retractable mirrors. The early production models are making me nervous.

magnumforc
07-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Power mirrors were standard on the 535 and 550 GT for both 2010 and 2011. I'd bet the non-power folding mirrors had to be some sort of oddity, as even the early information showed the mirors were power, The 2010 we have has power mirrors and was produced in March of 2010 per the frame sticker inside the front door area. Since the 535iGT's were not produced until later in the model year, and not introduced into showrooms until April 2010, I'm sure we have an "early" model and it probably was built within 30-60 days of when they started production on the 535i's. I don't know when the production started and ended for the 2010's. I believe the production for the 2011's started in October, and my 2011 was among those first produced. I only gage that by the others who also say their GT's were produced in October and haven't heard of others with prior production dates, although there could be some.

For what it's worth, the production version of the GT made it's official public debut at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show in Sept. 2009 and was scheduled to go on sale in early 2010. However, the 550i was the first on the market, hitting the showrooms in late December 2009 and the 535i didn't get there until April 2010.

magnumforc
07-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Further note...when you order the Dynamic Handling Package, it automatically adds the Sport Package on the 2011, although the Sport Package is shown as included with the Dynamic Handling. It has to be included but at $2200 extra. Try building one and you'll see what I mean. The DHP is $2700 and when you check the box it automatically checks the Sport Package box below at $2200. I agree the order form confuses as it looks like it's included. .

Chicago GT
08-04-2011, 07:21 AM
I have ended up purchasing a 2010 535 with 11k miles on it. Sapphire black on black, sport, convenience, upgraded stereo, cold weather, driver assist and phone integration. It was very hard to find a 2010 535 GT with the Adaptive Drive Package. Event though I feel it is the perfect car to make good use of ARS, being large, heavy and high off the ground it handles great without it. Thanks for your comments and for having this site.

magnumforc
08-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Congrats. You'll love the car. Just avoid the Chicago potholes with the run flats!