PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Tiny Tiny fibers

sonus
07-10-2011, 11:35 AM
After wiping with a plush microfiber towel (from Autogeek) to remove wax, it looked like the towel had just introduced a million tiny micro-marring scratches. Then after touching them, they changed directions, and it became clear that they weren't scratches, but rather lots of tiny (you might even say 'micro' :rofl:) fibers.

Has anyone seen this on their paint? My only guess would be the microfiber shedding, but I hadn't heard of it or run into it before now. I should also mention that I was using a sheepskin wash mitt, but those fibers are much longer than the ones I saw.

bvhbmw
07-10-2011, 11:49 AM
some mf towels will do this. try washing them a few times before using them. you should be able to remove the little fibers with some detailing fluid and a soft cloth (that doesn't shed).

GiaGiaJa
07-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Or maybe put them in the dryer? For me .. I will take my car for a ride in high speed until those tiny tiny tiny fibers are gone....

Ilovemycar
07-10-2011, 12:10 PM
My input is only anecdotal, and limited at best, but so far it would appear to me that there is a correlation between cheap price and shedding of fibers. For instance the worst I've run into are the Zwipes (Amazon or Costco).

I've read of a different reason to prewash, and that is to rid them of some chemical, and I cannot possibly recall its name or purpose. Some MFs out there are advertised as prewashed, if for reasons of reducing dye running, as with some DD Uber towels for instance.

For care, do not use the dryer. Never wash with cotton, never use fabric softener. Always wash cool/cold, and air dry. I bought these two things to help me air dry, $20 and $10 respectively.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE8ILI/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00275FSQC

I'm sure the OP knows, but for anyone else, make sure the MF you buy is designed for the purpose intended. Some cheaper all-purpose towels have hot wired edges that can mar paint, for instance. (The edges are basically like hardened plastic now, after using this cheap technique of cutting them to size.) Fold your towels so that any edge has a minimal chance of rubbing against the paint.

zkeeper
07-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Forwhateveritsworth department- I switched over to the Griots line, and have had no problems since. Theirs seem to be better made, and especially like the green ones used for the Spray on Wash..[and no am not connected with GG except by use]. The entire color coded line have just been excellent, while some of the other "plush" and Cobra line have not been as absorbant or smooth. Good luck with it all...;)

sonus
07-11-2011, 05:23 AM
I'll have to pick up some other brands and give them a try. I've just been living off the box of assorted Cobra MFs I got from Autogeek a while back (2 square really plush ones, 4 rectangular half-plush half-regular, and a bunch of multipurpose ones), and 2 waffle-weave drying towels from Detailed Image.

OT, but has anyone else been spoiled by amazon prime and free shipping? :rofl: I totally hate having to pay shipping on all this detailing stuff, and none of it is ever available locally in MA :( $6 shipping on a $7 towel just makes me wait until I need to buy a ton of stuff.

dboy11
07-11-2011, 08:05 AM
The towels are linting. How are you washing and drying them?

sonus
07-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I've been washing them with Micro Restore detergent in warm water, then machine drying for about 20 minutes. I had read some conflicting information (cold vs warm water, tumble dry vs regular dry vs low heat vs normal heat for short time etc), but this seemed to work and hadn't visibly affected my towels. Perhaps it is now affecting my towels :eek:

(a few of the towels did come with care instructions saying to wash in warm water though)

dboy11
07-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I've been washing them with Micro Restore detergent in warm water, then machine drying for about 20 minutes. I had read some conflicting information (cold vs warm water, tumble dry vs regular dry vs low heat vs normal heat for short time etc), but this seemed to work and hadn't visibly affected my towels. Perhaps it is now affecting my towels :eek:

(a few of the towels did come with care instructions saying to wash in warm water though)

I wash mine in hot water, using what ever detergent the wife has on hand. Then dry on low heat for about 30 minutes. The issue that you are having is linting. I have two towels used fro glass that do this.

sonus
07-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Hmmm, I have some cheap glass microfibers from AutoZone that I've washed with the others before. Perhaps they're contaminating each other. Perhaps I should throw those away and buy some nicer ones...

Have you had any trouble with using regular detergent? I've always heard it can leave resides that'll make the towels ineffective or more abrasive.

dboy11
07-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Hmmm, I have some cheap glass microfibers from AutoZone that I've washed with the others before. Perhaps they're contaminating each other. Perhaps I should throw those away and buy some nicer ones...

Have you had any trouble with using regular detergent? I've always heard it can leave resides that'll make the towels ineffective or more abrasive.

If you have a few towels that are linting and others that are not, do not wash them together. I haven't any issues using regular detergent, some of the towels I have are 8 years old. I buy all my towels from Poorboys World, he gets real top quality towels IMO

Ilovemycar
07-11-2011, 01:51 PM
OT, but has anyone else been spoiled by amazon prime and free shipping? :rofl: I totally hate having to pay shipping on all this detailing stuff, and none of it is ever available locally in MA :( $6 shipping on a $7 towel just makes me wait until I need to buy a ton of stuff.

Yes. I used to be a prime member for several years, no more however. Well not only is their CS and free shipping at +$25 pretty nice, they happen to have very good prices on Meguiar's products in particular, like the M105 compound, M205 polish, Pro Mild Clay, and a host of other products.

Just wait to buy in bulk, and time it with sponsor promotions, whether that be prices or free shipping. When you need to restock on wash, wax, etc, time it with the towels. I will PM you with a coupon code for free shipping at a major site.

Air dry is best. It doesn't take so long for MF towels to dry anyway.

Cold vs Warm, well, the best thing is to actually wash them immediately so that chelating agents, drying polishes, etc, may be removed quickly. I admit that I don't wash immediately; I wait for enough of them to dirty up, before running a load- because I always run a self cleaning cycle on a full dose of chlorine bleach, and I don't want to do all of this over just a handful of towels sometimes.

I've tried MF detergent additives, I think it was the CG stuff, and I couldn't tell that it did anything for me, except change the colors of certain MF to be brighter- almost neon like with certain yellow ones. I just use regular detergent like with ddboy11. I'm going to try some Poorboy's soon; he seems to be a big fan of a lot of their stuff, and I'm running out of new vendors to try. Some persons really like Pak Shak for MF towels, but they seem quite expensive, and I admit I fear how much shipping would cost from HI (I think that's where they are anyway).

sonus
07-11-2011, 02:09 PM
What sorts of "regular detergent" are you guys using? I know some of them have fabric softeners and stuff that should be avoided, and holy crap there's an entire grocery store aisle devoted to "regular detergents" :P

TOGWT
07-12-2011, 05:05 AM
As with most things, you'll usually get the quality you pay for; as Henry Royce once commented [the quality tends to be remembered long after the price has been forgotten]

sonus
07-12-2011, 07:17 AM
As with most things, you'll usually get the quality you pay for; as Henry Royce once commented [the quality tends to be remembered long after the price has been forgotten]

Very true. I bought those cheapo glass microfibers from AutoZone a long time ago, long before I knew anything about detailing or even how to properly wash my car. I've learned a lot in the last few months and still have much more to learn :thumbup: