PDA

View Full Version : GT Eve

LowerEast
07-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone. After what seems like somewhat of an ordeal and not quite the buying experience I'd hoped for, I found a dealer who has done a great job for me, and am picking up my GT tomorrow. Very excited!

Specs are:

550i GT xDrive
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Dark Wood Trim
Camera Package
Cold Weather Package
Convenience Package
Driver Assistance Package
Premium Sound Package
4 Zone Automatic Climate Control
Power Side Window Shades
BMW Apps
Satellite Radio

The car I ordered through the dealer I had originally selected was a little different to this one. If I had the choice, I would have gone for Dark Graphite, and I wouldn't have bothered with the Driver Assistance or the 4 Zone Climate. This was the only car i could find though that had everything I wanted, and was in a color I liked (if not loved).

I'm not really sure what is going on with the GT and placing an order. I placed an order through the original dealer, and found out a week and half later that he hadn't actually placed the order with BMW. Once placed, I found out the order was for the wrong car. I was then given a second order number that showed the right car. The dealer wouldn't give me a straight answer on when my production slot was or estimate when I might have the car, he didn't call or write back when he promised he would, and I just wasn't feeling good about the whole process, so I cancelled the order.

I found another dealer with an even better price and re-ordered the car. The new dealer said they had a production slot the following week, and that we were good to go. I got a call the next day to let me know there was a problem in placing the order. Despite having a "confirmed" production slot, BMW was no longer accepting orders for 2011 GTs. The dealer said they had escalated the issue to the highest levels of BMW USA, but no one could quite explain what was going on. Strange.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. I'm pumped to pick up my car tomorrow, and can't wait to hit the road. I'm excited to join the GT crew here!

Does anyone know what is going on with new orders? It would be a shame if BMW USA was pulling the model, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised after the CEO's comments a few weeks back.

Capobranco
07-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Congrats on your new GT. You have reason to be excited - you made really nice choices.
I share your enthusiasm for Sapphire Black. My GT is my fifth BMW and perhaps the best
BMW I have ever owned. Be prepared for lots of compliments in the wild! :thumbup:

lexlaw
07-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Don't blame you...I'd be excited also. Congrats. Please share pics of your Black Beauty after you do a few laps.

magnumforc
07-16-2011, 04:35 PM
This late in the model year, it wouldn't surprise me if the 2012 changeover was underway, if there is to be a 2012. I know when we ordered fleet vehicles, albeit American cars, we had cutoff dates on ordering and production. That siad, occasionally, an RPO car would be able to be ordered that was in stock and already configured to fleet specs or close to it. When ordered it seemed like it was an order car that just went through order really fast, like a week or less buildout. I presume that was done to keep the books in order and not to show inventory overflow? I don't really know.

magnumforc
07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
This says that BMW has announced an M package for the 2012 GT available in the fall. That sure would make you believe they plan to continue the model. http://itwildcats.net/2011/07/bmw-5-series-gt/

herbrak1
07-17-2011, 07:25 AM
I ordered a 2011 GT about June 30. Production started 3 days later. The car is now built exactly as ordered and is awaiting a ship. It looks like the MV Elektra will leave Bremerhaven on the 20th so I should have the car in early August. No good reson why your dealers were having problems.

car-fan
07-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Hi everyone. After what seems like somewhat of an ordeal and not quite the buying experience I'd hoped for, I found a dealer who has done a great job for me, and am picking up my GT tomorrow. Very excited!

Specs are:

550i GT xDrive
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Dark Wood Trim
Camera Package
Cold Weather Package
Convenience Package
Driver Assistance Package
Premium Sound Package
4 Zone Automatic Climate Control
Power Side Window Shades
BMW Apps
Satellite Radio

The car I ordered through the dealer I had originally selected was a little different to this one. If I had the choice, I would have gone for Dark Graphite, and I wouldn't have bothered with the Driver Assistance or the 4 Zone Climate. This was the only car i could find though that had everything I wanted, and was in a color I liked (if not loved).

I'm not really sure what is going on with the GT and placing an order. I placed an order through the original dealer, and found out a week and half later that he hadn't actually placed the order with BMW. Once placed, I found out the order was for the wrong car. I was then given a second order number that showed the right car. The dealer wouldn't give me a straight answer on when my production slot was or estimate when I might have the car, he didn't call or write back when he promised he would, and I just wasn't feeling good about the whole process, so I cancelled the order.

I found another dealer with an even better price and re-ordered the car. The new dealer said they had a production slot the following week, and that we were good to go. I got a call the next day to let me know there was a problem in placing the order. Despite having a "confirmed" production slot, BMW was no longer accepting orders for 2011 GTs. The dealer said they had escalated the issue to the highest levels of BMW USA, but no one could quite explain what was going on. Strange.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. I'm pumped to pick up my car tomorrow, and can't wait to hit the road. I'm excited to join the GT crew here!

Does anyone know what is going on with new orders? It would be a shame if BMW USA was pulling the model, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised after the CEO's comments a few weeks back.

Very nice specs you have there:thumbup: Welcome to the GT Owners group. Sorry to hear about the issues you encountered during ordering. Some of the dealers out there (not just BMW) could benefit "GREATLY" from customer service clinics for their employees:tsk:

Please post pics when convenient!

jadnashuanh
07-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Dealers are usually limited on how many vehicles they can order by a quota system...that dealer may have already filled their quota, and thus could not order your car. The European delivery system does not come out of the dealer's quota, and may be a path open if you want to use that dealer. Some dealers will also 'trade' vehicles with others to fulfill a customer's needs, but that very much depends on the dealers involved...I don't think it is 'required'.

kashrahman
07-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your buying experience, but great car! Post pics when u can!

LowerEast
07-17-2011, 04:23 PM
I put about 200 miles on the car over the weekend. I'm absolutely loving my GT!

A lot of people seem not to "get" this car, but after spending my first few days with it, I'm even more certain than before I bought it that it is the perfect car for me. I needed something big and practical now that I have a kid, but didn't want an SUV because a) I like to drive fast, and it matters to me how a car handles, and b) Manhattan parking garages generally charge an extra $100 a month for an SUV. The GT is fast, handles well (it's no M3, but it's no X5 either), has an unbelievable interior, and is spacious for passengers and versatile for luggage.

Re the looks, I didn't love the GT when I first saw a photo of one, but it grew on me to the point that by the time I was ready make a decision on a car, I actually felt the GT was a good looking car. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, but I think a lot of Americans don't give themselves a chance to like it, because it's a body type they're not used to seeing. I donít think it is the prettiest car on the road, but it has a presence and masculinity about it that I really like.

I havenít really pushed the car at this point, but did accelerate reasonably hard from 50 mph or so a few times to pass slower vehicles. The mid range torque is monstrous in this thing. No idea what the 50mph to 90mph time is (or if that is even something that gets measured), but it felt massively fast in that band, even without putting my foot all the way to the floor.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance (likely next weekend). Was too busy driving this weekend :)

The problems I had in ordering a car were a little annoying, but I'm happy with the outcome. At the dealer yesterday, I think I found out what happened:

I ordered the car from dealer 1 on 6/24. I saw in Magnum's post that he successfully ordered one on 6/30. I know for a fact that dealer 1 had not ordered the car by 7/7 (maybe later), and once it was ordered, could not explain to me why he was unable to advise of an estimated production date.

I cancelled the original order and placed an order with dealer 2 early last week. Dealer 2 confirmed they had a production slot, and cited an expected production date of only a couple of days later. Dealer 2 called me the next day and said there was a problem, and they werenít going to be able to order the car for me. They were still trying to figure out what was going on, but BMW were not accepting any orders for the GT.

When I was picking the car up yesterday, my CA told me that he had subsequently found out that BMW had decided to end 2011 GT production a little ahead of the date they had originally communicated to dealers, and had stopped taking new orders until the 2012s were ready to be produced. He said something similar had just happened with the 3 series wagon, and that it was almost impossible to find one as a result (he had just swapped an X5 to a dealer in Portland for a 328 wagon).

Not sure how accurate the information is on the production of 2011s ending in the last week or so, but it seemed plausible to me. Itís not longer my problem anyway Ė Iíve got a car that I love, and am looking forward to driving my first BMW for the next few years.

magnumforc
07-17-2011, 09:19 PM
That was herbrak1 that ordered a new GT on June 30, not I. Wish I had the garage space for GT #3 (and the wallet to go with it!!)

CONGRATS on your new GT! The longer you have it, the more you'll love it. I'm convinced that they get faster with more mileage...after the break-in period and a few thousand miles.

LowerEast
07-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Sorry Magnum, I meant to write Herbrak. New car induced dyslexia I guess.

Capobranco
07-18-2011, 08:24 AM
I donít think it is the prettiest car on the road, but it has a presence and masculinity about it that I really like.....

I havenít really pushed the car at this point, but did accelerate reasonably hard from 50 mph or so a few times to pass slower vehicles. The mid range torque is monstrous in this thing. No idea what the 50mph to 90mph time is (or if that is even something that gets measured), but it felt massively fast in that band, even without putting my foot all the way to the floor....

I agree the 5 GT is not a pretty car in the manner of an A7. However, the 5GT exudes BMW athletic competency and power which I find more engaging. The styling communicates a seriousness of purpose and very serious road presence. As you are discovering, the styling accurately reflects the dynamic reality of the GT Ė power, speed, handling, and supreme comfort combined with a large dose of functionality. So sweet - the functionality of my 5 series Touring combined with the power of my 911. The GT is totally unique and perhaps the best overall value BMW offers.

Congrats - enjoy the drive. :thumbup:

PaceBMW of Mamaroneck
07-18-2011, 08:42 AM
The 5GT with the M body kit looks fantastic IMO.

BMWMC
07-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Congrats on your GT!!

I had one for a few months last year and I was like you .. When I first saw it, thinking who would want one of those!

Got one about a month later and didn't have a single issue with it. Learned to love it and it was easy to throw around, just like any other BMW.

I had a 535GT- Damask Red / Beige.

Just got rid of a 550 Sedan, and enjoyed it more than the GT though, more sportier! :thumbup:

BMWMC
07-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know what is going on with new orders? It would be a shame if BMW USA was pulling the model, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised after the CEO's comments a few weeks back.[/QUOTE]

Last I was told, they are "remodeling" the GT, so that maybe way they couldn't order anymore.

jadnashuanh
07-19-2011, 09:18 AM
As opposed to the US where people often stagger their vacation times, in many places in Europe, August is when very little work gets done. I wouldn't surprise me that they are about to make a model chance, and that coupled with the normal August vacation period, they aren't accepting any more orders for 2011 models. this is just a guess, but there's some rationale to it.

jdubbs
07-19-2011, 05:41 PM
If by "remodel" you mean LCI (mid-life facelift), I doubt that BMW would accelerate it to the third model year... usually it seems to occur at year 5, except with the previous generation 7 series, when it appeared at year 4 I think? But that was a much more prominent/significant model, being Bangle's big debut, the flagship sedan, etc... It is interesting, though, that both that 7 and the 5 GT have rear-ends that are widely panned... still, I don't think the issues with US sales alone (which are still better than the previous 5 wagon) would be enough to accelerate a major revision.

Also, consider that there are photos of an M sports package for the GT floating around, which show the same overall body, with the exception of the usual "M" tweaks to the bumpers and side skirts. I think it's more likely that the usual model-year transition is imminent, with a few new available options, including perhaps this M sport kit... which is responsible for the pause in new orders.