PDA

View Full Version : How to "correct" this trim piece?

Ilovemycar
07-16-2011, 04:48 PM
It's the vertical trim that is between the front and rear windows of my coupe. The rest of the trim that surrounds the windows is (coated) aluminum.

In this photo, you can sort of see "swirl" marks in it. Can I treat this like paint, by using a compound and/or polish? I suppose I should do this by hand, perhaps with a terry cloth? Or is there really nothing I can do without making it worse? Thanks. I'm sure this topic may have been covered before, but I can't find it.

Bonus question: do you guys just use the same sealant (or wax) on the aluminum trim that you would for the rest of the paint, or is there a specific product that is better for this application? Thanks again.

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/Ilovemycar335i/TrimSwirl.jpg

TJPark01
07-16-2011, 10:18 PM
tape the metal part down. I used Meguiars DA cutting disc, 3". Keep the DA moving, cause the small backing plate and speed creates a lot of heat. Finished it off with Menzerna Powerlock. I use a cleaner wax on aluminum trim if it's a little dull, sealant if it's ready.

Ilovemycar
07-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks a lot TJPark01. I shall apply some sealant by hand to the aluminum soon (paint has wax only atm). Regarding the pictured trim, the only backing plates I have are the stock ones that came with my PC and Flex, but I will research your advice and follow through! I do have a couple of 4" (I think) orange pads that came with two different Meg's kits, the headlight and scratch kits. Hm, maybe using a drill should be ok here. Thanks again. :)

Ilovemycar
07-17-2011, 11:09 PM
TJPark01, I'm starting to think that you probably don't have the same type of trim that I do. Well, it's just a guess, and I appreciate your input nonetheless. So I discarded the idea of using my smallest orange pads on a drill, just to be safer, and went with 5.5" or whatever they are on my PC. I started with M205, improved but not perfect, then went to M105. Then upon inspection I believed that either one or both were too aggressive for this on a machine (speed 5 and/or 4 with light presure), as I believe I could see swirls in the shape of, how do I say, what an orbital does.

So I went at it by hand, using both products, going as perfectly vertical as I could control my hand. My completely unscientific guess is roughly a 75% correction in the end. I did it at dusk, and so I couldn't check it in sunlight. I did use a little Brinkman LED gun on low batteries.

I also sealed my aluminum trim, one coat. I think I might start a sealant query thread in the near future. Your advice about taping this off was good advice, cheers.

TJPark01
07-18-2011, 07:01 AM
I have the shadowline trim. It's glossy black.
I tried 105 by hand didn't work. I also tried a 4 inch orange pad and scratch X, didn't work. 3" MF cutting disc and DA cutting compound worked.

Ilovemycar
07-18-2011, 07:32 AM
I have the shadowline trim. It's glossy black.
I tried 105 by hand didn't work. I also tried a 4 inch orange pad and scratch X, didn't work. 3" MF cutting disc and DA cutting compound worked.

Ah, I see, thanks.

These right here?
http://www.autogeek.net/3in-microfiber-cutting-discs.html?productid=3in-microfiber-cutting-discs&channelid=FROOG

Hm, the smallest backing plate I see now for the 7424 is this. (I assume it's fine for the XP version.)
http://www.autogeek.net/lc-43085da.html

I see that Meg's has a slightly smaller one at 3", however I really don't know if it works fine for the PC's. Ok, I see a big list of adapters at the end of the description, maybe this would be the ticket? It's $10 more than than the PC version above.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-unigrit-backing-plate.html

Which compound did you use in the end?

Ilovemycar
07-18-2011, 08:05 AM
I've got to go check out shadowline in person sometime. I see that TOGWT's description here says it's anodized. Mine feels soft. Like a softish rubbery plastic or something. I still wonder if my single vertical strip is something different, hmm. Or perhaps you've closely inspected this strip on an E92 of past?