PDA

View Full Version : About Armor All Rim Protectant

mstrq
07-18-2011, 08:56 PM
I washed my car yesterday, and somehow the car got really really filthy today... I am going to rewash the car tomorrow morning, and I was wondering whether I will have to re-apply Armor All Rim Protectant if I clean the rims with the car wash soap. Will gently scrubbing the rims remove the coating of rim protectant? I am not going to use wheel cleaner this time since, well, I did it yesterday... lol. Thanks in advance.

Campfamily
07-19-2011, 07:50 AM
I washed my car yesterday, and somehow the car got really really filthy today... I am going to rewash the car tomorrow morning, and I was wondering whether I will have to re-apply Armor All Rim Protectant if I clean the rims with the car wash soap. Will gently scrubbing the rims remove the coating of rim protectant? I am not going to use wheel cleaner this time since, well, I did it yesterday... lol. Thanks in advance.

Since you just used the protectant the day before, you likely won't need to use any soap to clean the wheels. I've found that just rinsing the wheels with the hose (no soap) gets the majority of the brake dust off even after five or six washes. I seldom use any soap on the car when I wash it, but my car stays in the garage at home, and is covered at work, so it doesn't get very dirty between washes.

mstrq
07-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Since you just used the protectant the day before, you likely won't need to use any soap to clean the wheels. I've found that just rinsing the wheels with the hose (no soap) gets the majority of the brake dust off even after five or six washes. I seldom use any soap on the car when I wash it, but my car stays in the garage at home, and is covered at work, so it doesn't get very dirty between washes.

Thanks for the info!

Do you use quick detailer to wipe dirt off inbetween washes? Or are weather and air quality really nice where you live? :)

Campfamily
07-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info!

Do you use quick detailer to wipe dirt off inbetween washes? Or are weather and air quality really nice where you live? :)

My car stays reasonably clean so long as I wash it once a week. Keeping it in the garage or covered when it is outside really helps. I seldom use quick detailer to clean the car between washes; typically only if I get a big bug splat or a bird dropping. If I miss a wash, or if the car gets very dirty during the week (a rare rain or some road work), then I wash the car with carwash soap and a hose. Otherwise, I wash using a bucket of cold water and a few high quality towels, doing one panel at a time. I start with 1/2 of the roof, got to the next half, then the hood, trunk, sides, and do the wheels last. For each panel, I dunk a clean towel in the bucket of water, wipe it on the car to get the dirt off. Using a new towel, I wipe the majority of the water off. Then, I use a third dry towel to detail the spot I just washed. Then, move to the next panel and repeat. I can wash the entire car with two buckets of water (I usually change the water half way through to make sure I'm not using dirty water to clean the car) in about 15 minutes (not including the wheels), and the car looks like it has been detailed when I'm done.

Keith

dboy11
07-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the info!

QD is not fro cleaning, if your looking for something to remove dirt between washes. I use Poorboys World Spray and Wipe. In fact I rarely bucket wash the car anymore.

Bill-SD
07-20-2011, 06:33 PM
If you wipe your wheels (wheels not rims BTW) brake dust will start sticking again.