PDA

View Full Version : Product Review: Meguire's Gold Class interior wipes

The HACK
04-22-2002, 10:41 AM
First of all, thank you Jon for organizing Bimmerfest West. And thank you for all the wonderful gifts given away at Bimmerfest, my wife and I had a blast for the 2nd year in a row. The goodies bag from registration contained: 1x Meguire's Quick Detailer, 1x Meguire's Gold Class interior wipes, and 1x Meguire's MicroFiber polishing/wax removal cloth.

So the first thing I did when I got home was to test out some of these products. Disclaimer: I've been using Griot's Vinyl and Rubber treatment on my interior and have been loving it. So onto the product review:

Good: VERY EASY to apply. Just tear off a sheet, and start wiping. I did the entire interior of my car with just two sheets in less than 20 minutes. The Gold Class left behind an incredible depth and shine on the black interior. Areas that are treated compared to none treated area was like night and day. The wipes are disposable and each container comes with 25 wipes, more than enough to last me a year if I do it once a month. One single application leaves behind a deep, wet look that hasn't faded in 3 days. It also has a very nice smell to it, not chemically like some other rubber/vinyl treatment. It also ACTS as an interior cleaner so it's a one step process to clean up the inside of the car now. It also covers up some of the black plastic parts on the outside of the car that has some wax and polish residue left on quite nicely.

Bad: It left a nice smell, but the smell covers up the leather smell and does not go to well with it. The product left a very shiny surface which I didn't like, but the shine goes away and becomes a deep black "luster" after about a day, which is good but I was disappointed initially. It's also hard to apply around the aluminum interior trims, and left behind smudge marks which needs to be cleaned up afterwards.

Ugly: It left behind a very greasy feeling. I made the mistake of wiping down my steering wheel with this stuff and initially the steering wheel was slipping and sliding from underneath my hand as I drive. Use sparingly on your seat if you plan on AutoX'ing or going to the track because on leather or ette this stuff will make it really slippery and uncomfortable.

I still like Griot's Vinyl and Rubber treatment better, because it left behind a very natural, very smooth "feel" to the leatherette/vinyl parts without being greasy at all. The Meguires left behind an incredible luster but it does not look natural. Even brand spanking new cars don't come with this luster. I think the Meguires product is very good but just a hair shy of excellent, it would make a huge difference on older vehicles with somewhat neglected interiors and probably much better suited for those vehicles. However the ease of use is amazing, I would definately continue using it, but keeping it away from my seat surfaces and steering wheel. If you're looking for an alternative product that will produce a showroom shine on your dash for an older model, I would definately recommend this. If you're working on a newer model and don't want a glaring dash, go with Griots. Griots also makes a "wipe" type product for their rubber and vinyl treatment, I'd recommend you get that instead of their regular stuff in a bottle.

JPinTO
04-22-2002, 10:57 AM
Just use the 303 and be done with it ! :)

low
04-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by JPinTO

i second that..this is great stuff;)

eugeneDC/TX
04-22-2002, 11:12 AM

i used 303 for the first time this weekend, maybe i did something wrong, but it smelled of BO. i put it on, didnt notice any funk, came back to my car a few hours later, the interior smelled of a dirty man. i let it air out, drove everywhere with windows open. bought some mcdonalds drove with windows closed hoping the fast food smell would mask the 303. nope. i finally put vinylex on. the comparp:

vinylex is definately shinier, but leaves the new car-esque smell.

303 finish isnt as shiny, smells like ass.

both offer a good level of protection. 303 supposedly can be used on leather (i didnt try). both feel similarly slick (i.e. my butt slip in the seat the same for both products).

The HACK
04-22-2002, 11:25 AM

What's the 303?

awd330
04-22-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by The HACK
What's the 303?

303 Aerospace Protectant. It's good stuff.

http://www.303products.com/protectant.htm

ObD
04-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Ditto on the 303. Great stuff. :thumb:

Plaz
04-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Does it really smell like ass? :eek:

If so, that's really really horrible. :thumbdwn:

in_d_haus
04-22-2002, 07:22 PM
I couldn't take my gift with me... airport security wouldn't like that.
Had to leave it for someone else at Bimmerfest. Ah well, I appreciate the gesture..:thumb: :D :D

ObD
04-22-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX

I just sprayed some 303 on a paper towel and it doesn't smell much. Smells like a cleaner ... sort of like dull Windex.

You sure no one slipped a cow chip in your ride? :lmao:

The lack of shinyness I can attest to. I like it duller.

Nat Brown
04-22-2002, 11:34 PM
As I've said before, I can't tell the difference between Vinylex and 303, although I'm going with 303 for the moment. Both are great.

-gary

low
04-23-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX

i used 303 for the first time this weekend, maybe i did something wrong, but it smelled of BO. i put it on, didnt notice any funk, came back to my car a few hours later, the interior smelled of a dirty man. i let it air out, drove everywhere with windows open. bought some mcdonalds drove with windows closed hoping the fast food smell would mask the 303. nope. i finally put vinylex on. the comparp:

vinylex is definately shinier, but leaves the new car-esque smell.

both offer a good level of protection. 303 supposedly can be used on leather (i didnt try). both feel similarly slick (i.e. my butt slip in the seat the same for both products).

hmmm..i dont know either..it didnt smell like much to me, but it gives that "shine" ive been looking for. not too shiny and when used on your seats, you dont play slip and slide for too long;)

scottn2retro
04-23-2002, 02:21 PM
After getting back from the fest I cleaned the car up on Sunday and used the Meguiar's protectorant wipes. Keep in mind that my car is a garage/blanket car and I don't need to use the car right away.

I used the wipes on the dash, roadster roll hoops, back plastic deck and the plastic part of the door handles. I DID NOT use on the leather. I used the leather wipes (more on that later). I take the wipes out of the cannister by taking the top off and tearing one off, which means they are pretty drenched when they come out, so I started in a large area and spread around quickly. After the wipe dried somewhat, I folded the wipe to do the smaller areas. It does have a scent, but nice and not that strong. The car is sitting as I periodically monitor the results. I noticed that it leaves the very smooth surfaces (like the red part of my dash) looking a little 'wet' even after day without being in the sun (althought the roll hoops dried nicely). The surfaces that have a little grain to them (like the door panels and black part of my dash) dried very nicely without looking 'wet'. More to come as I prepare for the LA BMW CCA clean car contest in Huntington Beach on Sunday.

I knew I would be doing the interior so I got some of the 'Rich Leather Wipes' from Meguiar's. Again, since I pull them out with the top off, they come out really wet so I started in the middle of the seats and worked my way out and then when they've dried out some I do small areas and the steering wheel. Important Note: I parked the car in it's final place for the day BEFORE I did the driver's side and the wheel. If you think the protectorant wipes have a scent, the leather wipes are really fragrant. In fact some chicks walking by commented on it. Nice, but definitely not car leather smell. As of Monday night, sitting in a closed car under a car cover, the seats were still pretty shiny (not bad looking but shiny). Again, more to come as I monitor the results heading towards Sunday.