PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's First DA Experience....Confused. Help!

Flat6er
07-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Dear Friends,

After detailing my own cars for the better part of 25 years, I finally broke down and bought a Griot's DA machine. Up to now, every car that I've owned was purchased new, and careful washing has essentially prevented the typical swirl and micro scratches that tend to plague most cars (note that 6 of 8 cars were black). I would clay, glaze, and wax by hand and generally be satisfied.

Well, it's a new chapter. Last month I purchased a CPO 2007 911 Turbo (non-metallic black). The car was in excellent shape but it suffered from the typical micro scratches from either washing or quick detailing. The dealer's prep guy did a mighty good job of getting most of the micro scratches out, but some remain. Note that the scratches are only visible under the flourescent lights....under sunlight they really don't show at all. There's no hazing in the paint - its quite clear. Perfect reflection.

Last week I tried the Griot's DA with the machine polish 3. I worked a 2x2 area as instructed and made 8 passes in a cycle. I wasn't getting results so I proceeded to do 3 more total cycles. The gloss was great but the micro scratches were still present. Total scratches removed = 0. I glazed and waxed and called it a day.

Today for the heck of it, I applied Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 by hand. Worked it in on a 1 x 1 section really well. Scratches virtually gone...not 100% but at least 90%. So the big question: is the Griot's Machine Polish 3 too mild for my needs? Should I use the Meguiar's 2.0 with the DA? Or move down to Griot's Machine Polish 2? I see the advantages of using a DA but really need results for it to be fun! What do the pros think?

Thanks! Jerry

csmeance
07-25-2011, 06:06 PM
How much of the Machine Polish 3 did you use? A pea sized drop or more? What speed were you using on the DA?

Flat6er
07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi,

I used a fair amount of polish to insure that the orange pad was well moistened....probably 2+ tablespoons to start. Worked it in pretty well to let it break down. Actual section was probably smaller than 2 x 2. DA was running on 4 in the beginning, then 5.

TOGWT
07-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Groit's polishers (1,2 and 3) are very mild in comparison to most. Dependent upon the density (hardness) of your clear coat they made not be abrasive enough.

I would suggest you try a more abrasive polish and / or foam pad

noego
07-26-2011, 08:44 AM
try the new Meguiar's Micro Fiber System. very easy to work with and highly effective. you can find examples of Porsche cars that have been polished with the system on Meguiar's website - and also find detailed instructions for using the 'system' with da machines.

zkeeper
07-26-2011, 07:17 PM
TOGWT is correct on Griots...one always starts with least aggressive and moves to more aggressive as rule. But judging what I have in front of me, and I use Griot's -- I am often on #2 or 1. They are not too aggressive and made so that folks do not get themselves into trouble. On other hand, when you need results you need results, and that requires more aggressive applications. But that takes some getting used to also..but surely not beyond the weekend hobbyist. Obviously you got some. You might have to move to the Megs.105...and then 205, tho they dust more. Good luck and try the #1 sometime soon. It might get you some of the results you wanted. ;)

POof540i
07-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Keep the machine on at least speed 5. Any lower and the pad will not spin with any force applied to the head. The pad needs to spin and some downward force applied to the head (about 10 to 20 lbs) to really correct paint. Give yourself a visual clue of a spinning pad by drawing a line from the center of the backing plate to the edge (see pic below). And like TOGWT says, you may need a more aggressive combination of polish and pad.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/01540i/polish-2.gif