PDA

View Full Version : BMW North America president Jim O’Donnell to be replaced by Ludwig Willisch

car-fan
07-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Nuff Said.......http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/bmw-group-appoints-new-president-for-north-american-region/

Notwithstanding comments about the GT - he apparently didn't have a problem speaking his mind

Kamdog
07-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Whew. About time. Can't have an Irishman running a German car company. That is heretic. It would be like having an Italian running Guinness.

Capobranco
07-28-2011, 05:52 PM
hmmm....we do not know the whole story, but we do know from O'Donnell's words and deeds that he was not a friend of the 5GT or the GT concept in NA. I stand by my comments of May 24, 2011.

"I have one question - is the person/team responsible for the marketing of the GT in NA still employed by BMWNA? Hmmm... if the answer is yes...which I suspect...then this indicates a more significant problem. BMWNA surely must understand that the concept of the GT to be viable in NA requires special effort...which is conspicuously absent if it ever existed. This is extraordinary, given BMW’s stated goal to grow the GT concept. Moreover, note that O’Donnell in the interview did not address what BMWNA might have done differently, nor did he indicate a strategy going forward. He was more concerned about protecting sales of the F/01 and musing about the future of station wagons that have never worked. I suggest this interview was a classic tactical preemptive strike to deflect the shortcomings and lack of results of BMWNA. You know there is a serious corporate problem when dealers are confused as of this date - how to define the GT concept - what the GT is - what the GT is not - and who are prospective customers. The interview highlights not so much the shortcomings of the 5GT as the strategic and tactical incompetence of BMWNA."

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6088406&postcount=14

swajames
07-30-2011, 05:17 PM
O'Donnell is retiring, he's not being forced out. He's presided over the most successful period in BMWNA's history.