PDA

View Full Version : Tried a new sealant today: Wet Diamond

Mliebs
07-30-2011, 01:54 PM
I've been using Wolfgang for the last 4-5 years but decided to give Wet Diamond a try and I think I like it better than the Wolfgang. I'll be clay barring and buffing it out in the next month or so but I wanted to get an idea of how the sealant would look. Anyway here are a few pictures to see the results. The pictures don't do justice to the color, it looks pretty wet in person.

Mliebs
07-30-2011, 01:55 PM
and a couple more.

Aacaron
07-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Looks great, I just ordered an 335i e92 space grey, black leatherette, Euro delivery. I sprung for the 230 style 19" rims, but must say the 193's you have on your car look great. I keep going back and forth wondering if the extra 1K is worth it for the 19" wheels.

P.S. love that you don't have to have a license plate on your front bumper. Not so lucky in NY

Spagolli94
07-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Looks sharp!

TJG
07-31-2011, 05:39 AM
Looks good. How easy was it to apply/buff out?? How often do you think you'll need to re-apply?? Did you wax on top of the sealant and how does the cost compare?? Sorry about all the questions but I've used Auto Glym for years & am currently looking around at alternatives.

Mliebs
07-31-2011, 05:50 AM
Looks good. How easy was it to apply/buff out?? How often do you think you'll need to re-apply?? Did you wax on top of the sealant and how does the cost compare?? Sorry about all the questions but I've used Auto Glym for years & am currently looking around at alternatives.
It wiped off like it was dust, it couldn't have been easier. I didn't wax over it because sealants seem to attract less dust than wax and to be honest it doesn't really need it. It's about $30 for 16oz. and it would do my car probably 20 times maybe. From what I hear it good for 3-4 months but my cars are usually in a parking garage or my own garage so it would probably last longer. After I clay bar and buff the car out I'll probably put 3-4 coats on it and then reapply every other month or so. I've always done the same thing with my Vettes using Wolfgang and they always looked new. Anyway hope this helped

Nordic_Kat
07-31-2011, 04:13 PM
I've been using Wolfgang for the last 4-5 years but decided to give Wet Diamond a try and I think I like it better than the Wolfgang.

Anyway here are a few pictures to see the results. The pictures don't do justice to the color, it looks pretty wet in person.

Mliebs,

The car looks great!

A question for you, I've been using Wolfgang on my Space gray E93, but have been toying with the idea of giving Wet Diamond a try. You mention that it looks pretty "wet", does it bring out the depth of the Space Gray?

Mliebs
07-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Mliebs,

The car looks great!

A question for you, I've been using Wolfgang on my Space gray E93, but have been toying with the idea of giving Wet Diamond a try. You mention that it looks pretty "wet", does it bring out the depth of the Space Gray?
Yes, actually I was pretty surprised by the depth and wet look that the Wet Diamond gave the car. I was talking with Josh Ottmann from Dallas (ottmandetailing.com) and he was telling me that he used Wet Diamond so I thought I'd give it a try. I've been using Wolfgang for quite awhile and have always been happy with it but I really think the Wet Diamond looks wetter and deeper than the Wolfgang.

naamanf
07-31-2011, 07:12 PM
I did two coats of Wet Diamond on my car last week and really like the way it looks. Big test is going to be when I detail my black MDX with it (after a good polish).

KAP8
08-01-2011, 06:55 AM
I've been using Blackfire Wet Diamond for a couple of years now. I really like it. I don't know how long it actually lasts because I apply it every couple of months because it is so easy to do. Recently I've been applying their Midnight Sun Carnauba over it. The Carnauba seems to keep the car cleaner. When the car gets rained on, the dirt washes off with it. That wasn't happening with just the sealant.

Nordic_Kat
08-01-2011, 07:03 AM
I've been using Blackfire Wet Diamond for a couple of years now. I really like it. I don't know how long it actually lasts because I apply it every couple of months because it is so easy to do. Recently I've been applying their Midnight Sun Carnauba over it. The Carnauba seems to keep the car cleaner. When the car gets rained on, the dirt washes off with it. That wasn't happening with just the sealant.

I do the same process - i.e. sealant with Carnauba (DodoWax Diamond White) over it. It really does make keeping the car clean much easier. All of these good reports regarding the Wet Diamond have me convinced to make the switch. :thumbup:

chris328
08-01-2011, 07:20 AM
ive found that the wet diamond has a tendency to exacerbate the orange peel effect

KAP8
08-01-2011, 07:24 AM
ive found that the wet diamond has a tendency to exacerbate the orange peel effect

I've not noticed any Orange Peel on my Alpine White. I apply it with a Porter Cable using a blue pad.

chris328
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
most bmws have orange peel straight from the factory. so unless youve wetsanded your paint chances are it does have orange peel, even with nothing on it. i was saying that the wet diamond has a tendency to make it more apparent. its harder to see reflection details in the alpine white though.

bmwrocks
08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
most bmws have orange peel straight from the factory. so unless youve wetsanded your paint chances are it does have orange peel, even with nothing on it. i was saying that the wet diamond has a tendency to make it more apparent. its harder to see reflection details in the alpine white though.

What exactly are you referring to when you say "orange peel"? Are you talking about some sort of visual effect in the smooth paint, or an actual orange peel texture, as in the lower panels of some cars? Cause I can tell you my E93 has no special texture anywhere.

"The Don"
08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I use the 'Blackfire Wet Ice Over Fire kit', brings out the colour of the Azurite black :thumbup:

After claying the car the products are applied in the following order:

1. Blackfire gloss enhancing polish.
2. Blackfire all finish paint protection.
3. Blackfire Midnight Sun Paste Wax.
4. Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant.

It's an all day project, but the results are well worth the effort.

B-737
08-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I recently used Wet Diamond on my Space Gray E92, i liked how easy it was apply and remove. Finish looks fantastic, even over the clear bra. I applied it by hand, no swirls left behind either.

def like this stuff, has been holding up well to regular washings and commuting to work as well.

thrush40
08-02-2011, 05:15 AM
The orange peel is a very subtly dimpled surface. In most light environments it looks completely smooth. In the right light, most notably with interesting reflections, the surface exhibits this phenomenon.

My space gray E92 shows this. Oddly, it doesn't bother me at all.

KAP8
08-02-2011, 06:36 AM

I stand corrected. I do notice the orange peel. I don't know if it is more noticeable now with Blackfire than it was when I used Zaino or not. The car is definitely more shiny with the Blackfire.......perhaps that makes the orange peel more pronounced? :dunno:

chris328
08-02-2011, 10:17 AM
yeah after all is said and done i still like the wet diamond and just live with the orange peel. i was able to reduce the orange peel magnification this time around by going over the car with some chemical guys ez creme glaze before the wet diamond. it would be nice to know of a product that looks as good as wet diamond but also hides or at least doesnt magnify the orange peel.

chris328
08-02-2011, 10:20 AM
also wanted to add that last fall i had about 4 or 5 coats of wet diamond on my car, and it still was beading water in like may, after a winter filled with snowstorms and sand and crap flying through the air, and probably still would have been going if i hadn't clayed again

KAP8
08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
yeah after all is said and done i still like the wet diamond and just live with the orange peel. i was able to reduce the orange peel magnification this time around by going over the car with some chemical guys ez creme glaze before the wet diamond. it would be nice to know of a product that looks as good as wet diamond but also hides or at least doesnt magnify the orange peel.

I always use the EZ Creme Glaze prior to the Blackfire. It is a good combination.

KAP8
08-02-2011, 11:23 AM
also wanted to add that last fall i had about 4 or 5 coats of wet diamond on my car, and it still was beading water in like may, after a winter filled with snowstorms and sand and crap flying through the air, and probably still would have been going if i hadn't clayed again

That is interesting. I've never applied more than two coats of Blackfire. Maybe I'll put on 4-5 coats before Winter gets here this year.

Ilovemycar
08-02-2011, 02:21 PM
The orange peel is a very subtly dimpled surface. In most light environments it looks completely smooth. In the right light, most notably with interesting reflections, the surface exhibits this phenomenon.

My space gray E92 shows this. Oddly, it doesn't bother me at all.

I also have Space Gray, and I too have a tad bit of OP. It doesn't bother me, because IMO it is very slight, and you're right, an interesting reflection is required. However, I do think OP can vary greatly, and can be very pronounced with some cars. Just like that Ferrari wetsand thread from here.

I stand corrected. I do notice the orange peel. I don't know if it is more noticeable now with Blackfire than it was when I used Zaino or not. The car is definitely more shiny with the Blackfire.......perhaps that makes the orange peel more pronounced? :dunno:

There was a recent thread that got a bit contentious on this topic, but depending on who you ask, you may or may not get better results with a carnauba. Regardless of what the truth is in terms of OP only, carnauba is often said to be more forgiving in that it can hide slight blemishes better than sealants.

One thing that I haven't seen discussed much here (I must've missed it if it has, or I haven't been around long enough) is that, well at least it seems to me, many products are not purely sealant or wax. For instance there is the Dodo Juice Hybrid Supernatural. I believe the HD Poxy "sealant" has grade A carnauba in it. I think the super long lasting wax Collinite Super Double Coat is thought to have polymers in it- how else could a "carnauba" last a half year or more . . . and there are other brands too . . .

Anyway, you can see some OP here on the right (I mean driver's side) part of the hood, where the light is reflected. I have personally noticed some on the highest portions of my side panels, but I haven't captured that effect on camera, so far as I know. This has NXT 2.0 only, and the photo is at least a year old (she's getting tinted here).

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/Ilovemycar335i/WindshieldCrop.jpg

Here, the reflection is not as interesting, and so OP is hard/impossible to distinguish. This is maybe from a couple months ago, with Dodo Juice Hard Diamond White carnauba only. A cool thing about Space Gray is how color neutral it is; I have been told it reflects all light equally, and that there is some exhibit (maybe at the Welt?) called "What color is Space Gray"? From the two shots above, I could see someone unfamiliar with BMW being fooled into thinking they're two different paint colors. :)

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/Ilovemycar335i/Dodo2.jpg

Ilovemycar
08-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I use the 'Blackfire Wet Ice Over Fire kit', brings out the colour of the Azurite black :thumbup:

#1 is using glaze fillers eh?

Trust me when I say this, a huge component in making the car look real nice is machine polishing. You're already doing the lion's share of the work in a paint-correction detail (depending), and might as well add that extra couple of hours. Basically add something like 25% more work for a 100% greater (and longer lasting) improvement. My 2 cents.

rja328
08-02-2011, 08:06 PM

I do this too. Once in the Spring and once in the Fall. In between I wash the car (Sapphire Black) a couple of times a month with Blackfire shampoo and spray with the deep gloss spray or Carnuba wax spray. I think it looks great.

Munich77
08-04-2011, 06:02 AM
I also have used BFWD with the EZ Creme underneath. It is a great combination. I have not had as much success making the paint sparkle on my Space Grey 5 series as other posters have. I use BFWD on my wife's grey-blue-metallic MB and it really makes the paint sparkle. On space grey right now I am using FK1000P and it has very nice shine.

I think that BFWD has great winter durability. I used it on my car and my wife's car with good beading 4 to 6 months later. Of course I do use a quick detailer while drying which may impart some protection. For quick waxes I use Optimum Car Wax - an awesome spray-on wax.

Ilovemycar
08-04-2011, 02:44 PM
I also have used BFWD with the EZ Creme underneath. It is a great combination. I have not had as much success making the paint sparkle on my Space Grey 5 series as other posters have. I use BFWD on my wife's grey-blue-metallic MB and it really makes the paint sparkle. On space grey right now I am using FK1000P and it has very nice shine.

I think that BFWD has great winter durability. I used it on my car and my wife's car with good beading 4 to 6 months later. Of course I do use a quick detailer while drying which may impart some protection. For quick waxes I use Optimum Car Wax - an awesome spray-on wax.

I've read that with FK1000P, a second coat really pays off in the looks department. I added Collinite to my arsenal because a second coat isn't as "necessary" as with the FK, and it's also more forgiving if it gets on to trim. They are both known to be extremely durable, and definitely more durable than BFWD, which to me is like a "beauty sealant".

QD will impact your protection, I've been told by the most famous detailer in my area, because the polymers are somewhat similar to the stuff in sealants. It helps it last longer.

The way to get the metallic sparkle is by polishing. This is how you'll get the flake to really come out.

Munich77
08-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I've read that with FK1000P, a second coat really pays off in the looks department. I added Collinite to my arsenal because a second coat isn't as "necessary" as with the FK, and it's also more forgiving if it gets on to trim. They are both known to be extremely durable, and definitely more durable than BFWD, which to me is like a "beauty sealant".

QD will impact your protection, I've been told by the most famous detailer in my area, because the polymers are somewhat similar to the stuff in sealants. It helps it last longer.

The way to get the metallic sparkle is by polishing. This is how you'll get the flake to really come out.

I have actually three coats on it and yes the look notably improved. I was going back forth between Collonite and FK1000P and finally chose the FK1000P. IF I don't like the look I can always top it with BFWD which is durable but yes more of a beauty sealant.

I use FK425 which I think has some minor sealant properties - helps a lot wile drying.

What is really nice about BFWD is the carnuba like glow it gives.