PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me the purpose of a Porter Cable buffer??

trkmedic69
04-22-2002, 08:21 PM
Is it used just for application or just for buffing or for both?

For just wax or for polish, sealant or glaze too?

You still have to wipe off the surface with towel after right?

Is it WORTH IT?

alee
04-22-2002, 08:25 PM
It replaces anything that you would typically do by hand in terms of exterior paint car. So that would include polishing, wax application, wax removal, etc. Since it is a random orbital, it mimics the motion of your hand, but keeps it at a consistant rate which is something you couldn't really do in real life.
Is it WORTH IT?
The results I've seen have been phenomenal. I don't think it will significantly decrease your overall car care time (prepping your car is still time consuming), but I think you'll be a lot less tired at the end.

TD
04-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by alee
It replaces anything that you would typically do by hand in terms of exterior paint care. So that would include polishing, wax application, wax removal, etc.

Huh?! Wax?!

I assume you don't mean the stuff found on used Q-Tips.

alee
04-22-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by TD

Huh?! Wax?!

I assume you don't mean the stuff found on used Q-Tips.
And if you actually had enough of that kind of wax, I'm sure it would produce some pretty good results too. ;)

trkmedic69
04-22-2002, 08:54 PM
huh? :dunno:

alee
04-22-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by trkmedic69
huh? :dunno:
TD doesn't believe in waxing his cars. :)

trkmedic69
04-23-2002, 12:38 PM
whats the argument for no wax?

TD
04-23-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by trkmedic69
whats the argument for no wax?

Don't have enough free time to waste the free time I have doing something that pointless. I'd rather spend two hours driving the car (and get more rock chips in the process) than wax it.

Guest84
04-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by TD

Don't have enough free time to waste the free time I have doing something that pointless. I'd rather spend two hours driving the car (and get more rock chips in the process) than wax it.

Waxing protects the finish. Its not pointless. Its taking care of your equipment. In this case, its the finish. Its rather expensive to get a car painted today..I personally think a couple hours every 4 months is not an excuse for me to not do it, personally. Rather than watch TV, I'd rather be doing some stuff on the finish ;)

OTOH, re-selling the car with a great looking finish (from waxing it regularly) will sell the car much quicker, and probably at alittle higher re-sale as well.

Most of the boats, bikes and cars I've sold I've always got a good re-sale on...primarily due to taking good care of them. I once had a 1982 Virago with 5k on it I bought for $1000, then I proceeded to put 20,000 miles on it and sold it 2.5 years later for $1500. Why? Because I kept that bike detailed, and dirt never built up on it from due to lack of maintenence. The first buyer that came along bought it (down payment while he went to the bank to get more cash) without even firing it up. The TLC showed thru on the presentation of cleansliness.

johnlew
04-23-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort

Waxing protects the finish. Its not pointless. Its taking care of your equipment. In this case, its the finish. Its rather expensive to get a car painted today..I personally think a couple hours every 4 months is not an excuse for me to not to it, personally. OTOH, re-selling the car with a great looking finish (from waxing it regularly) will sell the car much quicker, and probably at alittle higher re-sale as well.

Right on. I've saved thousands by taking care of my cars. The first looker of my last 5 cars has been the buyer.

Guest84
04-23-2002, 12:54 PM
I can understand TD's approach though too(though its doubtful he'll ever understand our approach ;) ), if your tracking the car constantly, your banging the finish up all the time, seems rather pointless.(Again, I digress, wax protects the finish, but it won't protect it from an airborne rock)

In that case, I would have two cars, one for strictly the track (and it would not be my daily commuter!) and then one for the family stuff and commuting. I hope to be in a financial position for this one day. Baby steps first!