PDA

View Full Version : Good Lease Offer?

Fzara2000
03-23-2004, 11:45 PM
I am planning on getting an X5, but I am unsure if I should press the button.

The car is equipped with:

Rear Climate Control
Premium Package
Navigation System
Cold Weather Package
Steptronic Automatic Trans.

I am getting the car for $599/month, for 42 months, with a $2100 cap cost reduction (down payment).

I have to give the $2100 down, because of the company's lease agreement. The monthly payments cannot go above $600/month, which is why I am offering a $2100 down payment.

The X5 is a titanium silver with gray leather.
However, the vehicle has been on the lot since December of 03', and I am still hesitant if I should take the car, considering it is not equipped with the Xenons.

One of the real gripes of this car, is that I feel it was equipped wrong-I think the titanium silver, fully loaded with a MSRP of around 49k having no xenons is a bad build. Plus, I feel like a BMW at this price needs the xenon headlights anyway. After all, my 325xi for 40k had xenons too! :tsk:

Whats everyone's take on this? In terms of the lease offer, the lack of xenons, the packages, etc.

Emission
03-24-2004, 12:02 AM
It's a good price... but I'd say don't do it. You'll regret not having xenons for years...

Fzara2000
03-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Is it possible that whoever priced it though made a mistake, and thats why the SAV isn't selling?

I mean...there has to be a reason why the SAV hasn't been selling for these past 3 months. Possibly the Xenons? Or does no one like the BMW Navigation?

adrian's bmw
03-24-2004, 03:10 PM
I'd jump on it! It's a pre-January price increase car and you save $500 over an identically ordered one in stock after Jan.1. You're lucky you even found such a creature. That sounds like a good payment, too. But what about sales tax on the payment. Does the company lease factor that into the equation?

ibschwartz
03-24-2004, 04:30 PM
I'd jump on it! It's a pre-January price increase car and you save $500 over an identically ordered one in stock after Jan.1. You're lucky you even found such a creature. That sounds like a good payment, too. But what about sales tax on the payment. Does the company lease factor that into the equation?

Get a price concession due to the problem with the BMW X5 transmissions from that vintage. We bought one in December and it needs a new transmission after 2600 miles. It's a common problem in the X5s and 330s Good luck.

SARAFIL
03-24-2004, 05:11 PM
Is it possible that whoever priced it though made a mistake, and thats why the SAV isn't selling?

I mean...there has to be a reason why the SAV hasn't been selling for these past 3 months. Possibly the Xenons? Or does no one like the BMW Navigation?

That's a pretty "normal" build. Xenons are probably spec'ed on about 75% of the X5 3.0's that we order, but it is certainly not a "must have" like something like the Cold Weather Package is. We've built probably 3 or 4 car just like that this year (though in different colors), and we've had no problems selling them. Many people don't care about xenons, and some people don't like them and specifically don't want them.

As for sitting on the lot for 3 months, you guys really don't know how it works. I don't know of a single dealer that sells out of all its inventory within a few weeks of it arriving. Many cars will turn quickly, but it's hard to not have a few cars here and there that sit for 3, 4, 5, or even 6 months before they sell. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong with the car. I know I could look at my Inventory Report right now and pick out a handful of cars that are 100+ days. Sure, every dealer tries its best to limit the percentage of aged units to a small number, but it's impossible to get it to zero unless you run a very small store that is always selling out of inventory, at least from my experience.

Fzara2000
03-24-2004, 08:53 PM
We have a trade-in as well, but we are not satisfied with the price he is giving for it.
Its a 94' 318i (E36), white, auto, heated seats, and an aftermarket cd-changer, with 146k miles.

The Asst. Sales Manager is offering $2000 on the car. We did a price look-up, and it seems the car should go for about $3500. He's referring to some other book, and is dismissing Kelley's Blue Book value for the car, because apparently they "don't buy used cars, but we do (the dealer)."

The lease is ending on our 01' RX300 this Friday, and we need a car ASAP. The lease for the RX was $575/month, no down, fully loaded with an MSRP of $43k. Therefore, I wanted the same lease price from the X5, without putting out too much of a down.

My logic about the Xenons, is that any car this expensive needs them, aside from the status and the look; its the brightness and visibility you get from them.

We checked the inventory of the dealer, and one X5 in stock, has a NAV, but no Xenons. Another with Xenons, but no NAV. :mad:

And yes, the company considers the total price of the offer, including tax.

SARAFIL
03-25-2004, 04:15 PM
We have a trade-in as well, but we are not satisfied with the price he is giving for it.
Its a 94' 318i (E36), white, auto, heated seats, and an aftermarket cd-changer, with 146k miles.

The Asst. Sales Manager is offering $2000 on the car. We did a price look-up, and it seems the car should go for about $3500. He's referring to some other book, and is dismissing Kelley's Blue Book value for the car, because apparently they "don't buy used cars, but we do (the dealer)."

I've said it again, and I'll say it again. Free pricing guides are worth what you pay for them. Dealers that use Kelley Blue Book know how to adjust the numbers to reflect real values (the number that KBB spits out is not the actual value, it has to be adjusted because KBB's values are several months old by the time they get on the site; also, as a rule of thumb, you normally would take about 50-70% of KBB as a good number on an older 100k+ mile car).

I'm guessing they are using Galves. Look at it this way: the dealer is paying good money for their pricing guides. If the numbers are too low, they stand to lose business when customers go elsewhere. If they are too high, they'll lose money on the cars. Therefore, the pricing guide has a strong incentive to print accurate pricing if they want to maintain their clients. Who does KBB have to answer to if they are operating a free online site with inflated values? Your car, no matter how clean it is, has a very limited market due to the fact that is ten years old and has nearly 150,000 miles. It's definately going to be wholesaled to a local buyer (a car like that isn't even worth the cost of sending to a major auction), so they can't/won't give you top dollar for it.'

That all being said, I haven't had a chance to actually get a precise value on the car, so I have no clue if it is worth $2000 or 3500. I do think it is worth warning you about the accuracy of KBB, though.

suzer
03-25-2004, 05:51 PM
My logic about the Xenons, is that any car this expensive needs them, aside from the status and the look; its the brightness and visibility you get from them.

Have you driven this vehicle at dusk/night?

I might be the only one in the free world who isn't impressed, but I don't care for xenons. My husband's new 330i has them (his previous one didn't, and my X5 doesn't either), and they don't drive me wild - the city is too well lit for them to make much difference. I DO resent driving that vehicle and having an SUV with xenons come up behind me - I'm blinded.

I purposely looked for an X5 without them.

SARAFIL
03-25-2004, 06:16 PM
That all being said, I haven't had a chance to actually get a precise value on the car, so I have no clue if it is worth $2000 or 3500. I do think it is worth warning you about the accuracy of KBB, though.

Just as a ball-park, using the internet pricing guides, I came up with $2200 on KBB and $2400 on Edmunds for that car. I'm just curious where you got $3500? [another good rule of thumb for obtaining a bit more accurate values on KBB and other sites is to understate the condition of your car by one notch, excellent ---> good, good ---> fair, etc. Also, keep in mind that VERY few cars are really "Excellent" (these cars are usually rare garage queens, 1-2 year old cars in top shape, etc.), and that anything with the mileage your car has is probably "fair".]

Fzara2000
03-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Just as a ball-park, using the internet pricing guides, I came up with $2200 on KBB and $2400 on Edmunds for that car. I'm just curious where you got $3500? [another good rule of thumb for obtaining a bit more accurate values on KBB and other sites is to understate the condition of your car by one notch, excellent ---> good, good ---> fair, etc. Also, keep in mind that VERY few cars are really "Excellent" (these cars are usually rare garage queens, 1-2 year old cars in top shape, etc.), and that anything with the mileage your car has is probably "fair".]

I rated the car as "Good", even thought it has paint chips on the hood and the paint seems to be less shiner than it used to be. other than that, tires are good, service indicator lights are good, no damage to the body, and a car that still starts.