PDA

View Full Version : non-RFTs on RTF "rims" and "don't rotate your tires"

tonyspumoni
08-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I asked my local service advisor for a 4-wheel alignment. During the conversation I revealed that I had replaced my (horrible) OEM run-flats (RFTs) with a nice set of Michelin Pilot Sports. I was told that this is dangerous, as the rims are made for run-flats and, according my BMW dealer service advisor, there is "nothing holding the non-RFT tire on there but the air in the tire" and that I should therefore be "very careful to maintain recommended tire pressure" or, in hard handling, the tire/rim seal could fail. Er?

Secondly, I was told that BMW does not recommend tire rotation, owing to native asymmetry in front and rear suspension. I'm driving a 2010 335d with base suspension (same tire width all the way around), so I'm very aware that on other models the front and read tires are asymmetric. How can this make a difference for a car with a purportedly 50:50 weight distribution? Does turning and cornering really make fronts non-swappable with rears?

Are both or either of these complete BS or is there a ring of truth to either?

05mdriver
08-08-2011, 05:50 PM
both are complete bs.

tonyspumoni
08-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks, 05M5driver. That's what I thought but, this being my first BMW and having had a couple of years in Germany to get to know the Germans, I thought I'd better check it out first before rejecting the advice outright.

dpritchett
08-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Please don't ask me for the page reference, but one of the manuals that came w/ my 2011. 528i does say that BMW recommends NOT rotating the tires.

I think in the early, early days the were some run flats that were on special rims, but I think this is in the BS category now. Look at how many people have swapped them out w/o issue.

BLT
08-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Please don't ask me for the page reference, but one of the manuals that came w/ my 2011. 528i does say that BMW recommends NOT rotating the tires.

I think in the early, early days the were some run flats that were on special rims, but I think this is in the BS category now. Look at how many people have swapped them out w/o issue.

We have been running Non-runflats on our rims for years. We ran several Auto-X events and never had a problem. Since we have the Sport Package we have staggered rims to tire rotation is not an option.

cali311soca
08-16-2011, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't recommend running non-rft's unless you have a full size spare and a jack in your trunk. Other than that, when I bought my old 325i, the previous owner had replaced the OEM tires with non-rtf's, and I never had a problem. Luckily I didn't, because I used to carry around fix-a-flat until I read that would jack up my TPMS sensors. WHEW! Gotta love these forums!

For the tire rotation, I know with directional tires you can't just swap wheels around. My M3 has directional rft's in the front, and whatever the oppostive of directional rft's in the back haha. They're staggered, but when I change my oil, I swap the back tires, then break the bead on my front tires and rotate them. If anyone can show me that this is taboo please let me know so I can stop.